Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:48:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: internet is considerably slower when antminer s3 is connected to router  (Read 551 times)
guiltmanager (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

Like making new friends!

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 02:19:19 AM

Hello all, I hope someone can advise on this, I think it could be a router issue but really don't know.

When I turn my antminer S3 on, and it's happily mining, for some unknown reason, my internet slows wright down [I have 350mbps internet so this shouldn't happen] my emails take ages to be checked, pages take ages to load, my network time synch tool stops working etc  Cry  Cry
I turn off the s3, and everything goes back to normal.
I've tried updating firmware, factory resetting, changing router settings, nothing seems to help with the issue and im at a loss. the router is supplied by virgin cable in the UK, and because they register the mac address to my account I don't think I can just buy a new router and connect it, which is a damn shame as I'd have tried that if so. this issue never happened on my old super hub router from virgin years ago when i first got the s3, its only happening now on the hitron business router. really don't know what to think so any help would be appreciated.

Yours Sincerely,
Craig Mcgee,

Guilt Manager,
Guilt Management Services International.

Bitrated user: guiltmanager.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1633

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2017, 09:33:32 PM

Some routers are terrible and mining requires persistent socket connections to work. There is a small chance that even though you have loads of capacity, your router is not capable of reliably holding persistent connections, especially if it's the standard cheap crap that your ISP gave you with your plan. Investing in a decent router is worth it on multiple level anyway.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
guiltmanager (OP)

Like making new friends!

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 09:37:56 PM

if only it was that simple, but I don't think vm will let me use my own router. as I say, my routers mac address is registered to their system, but I can ask them. if I put the router into modem mode, ie its only using one eth port and use my own connected to the router, do you think that would help or will the vm routers socket connection issue still persist?
thank you for your help!!

Yours Sincerely,
Craig Mcgee,

Guilt Manager,

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1633

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2017, 09:41:08 PM

if only it was that simple, but I don't think vm will let me use my own router. as I say, my routers mac address is registered to their system, but I can ask them. if I put the router into modem mode, ie its only using one eth port and use my own connected to the router, do you think that would help or will the vm routers socket connection issue still persist?
thank you for your help!!
That may well help provided you can use a separate router for everything such as wifi and the dhcp server as well. It's hard to know what part is responsible but it's often the act of maintaining tcp sockets that's responsible. Note that most modern routers allow you to clone a MAC address and use that so if it's just the MAC address of the existing router that is registered to the system you should be able to mimic that.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
guiltmanager (OP)

Like making new friends!

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 09:45:05 PM

that might be an option actually, i.e. mimicking the mac address. it's a cable router so need to make sure I buy the wright thing, so prob a visit to a shop, maybe argos as i have vouchers for them. note i'm in the UK so not sure what shops you have etc where you are.

Yours Sincerely,
Craig Mcgee,

Guilt Manager,

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: