Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:19:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Come to Tradehill, it's more secure!"  (Read 1195 times)
joepie91 (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:23:02 AM

Okay, so I've seen the following pop up quite a lot on both the forum and on IRC:
"Go to Tradehill, it's more secure than Mt. Gox!"

Now consider that Tradehill is closed-source. In itself this is not a problem, but they do, as far as I know, not have insurance for the funds you deposit to them either.
That means you are directly financially responsible for any security holes they leave open, and have no way to check if it is secure.

Now, besides the obvious profits that people get from referal links, can anyone who is claiming that Tradehill is more secure, tell me what that claim is based on?

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TriumVir

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:29:40 AM

I've got two words for you. Force Majeure.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:29:53 AM

The Tradehill market moves slower than a snail, so for some people that == security.   Cheesy

d.james

Activity: 280

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:31:27 AM

I will move over once I get my money back from Gox...

Then again Gox will be open by then so I may not Huh

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
kr105

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:34:38 AM

Now consider that Tradehill is closed-source. In itself this is not a problem, but they do, as far as I know, not have insurance for the funds you deposit to them either.
That means you are directly financially responsible for any security holes they leave open, and have no way to check if it is secure.
I'm missing something or mtgox is opensource and / or have insurance for the funds?
joepie91 (OP)

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:35:41 AM

I'm missing something or mtgox is opensource and / or have insurance for the funds?
I never said Mt. Gox was secure either (in fact, I very much believe it isn't, and it will be hard to convince me that the new version is based on past happenings), but I was commenting here on the people bashing Mt. Gox and telling people to go to Tradehill instead because it is supposedly "more secure".

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Swishercutter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:38:40 AM

I never said Mt. Gox was secure either (in fact, I very much believe it isn't, and it will be hard to convince me that the new version is based on past happenings), but I was commenting here on the people bashing Mt. Gox and telling people to go to Tradehill instead because it is supposedly "more secure".

Don't forget Tradehill was using the same encryption as Mt.Gox...they both increased security due to this incident.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:44:10 AM

Say hi to Topiary for us... Big fans over here!!!

Mousepotato
finack

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:59:29 AM

CSRF tokens vs. live CSRF vuln.

I'm not saying either one is worth trusting your money with, but hey, there's something.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: