Bitcoin Forum
August 08, 2024, 08:15:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S7 not hashing  (Read 641 times)
gorillazilla9 (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 04:23:49 AM

I recently bought an S7 off eBay and I cannot get it to start hashing. When I turn it on it seems to go through a normal boot sequence, then right as it tries to come online the red light next to the Ethernet cable comes on and it doesn't hash. Logging into it through the IP shows that the hardware version is x.x.x.x and the miner status page is completely empty, which from what I've read would indicate that it encountered an issue while booting.

I thought at first that it might be a bad fan, and discovered that the blade had popped off the motor slightly so it wouldn't spin. After popping it back on, the miner briefly came online and hashed for around a minute before it crashed again. Subsequent attempts to bring it back online resulted in the instant crash that was occurring from the beginning, but this time I could see that both fans were working.

My next thought was that it was a bad board. I tested each hashing board separately and the problem persisted with each one. Doing that also led me to conclude that it wasn't an issue with my power supplies, since the demand to run just one board would be well within the ability of my power supplies (1 HP 750W and 1 HP 1200W, and I know to power the boards before the controller). I also took the miner apart and visually inspected each board; nothing looked damaged or missing on any board, and there certainly wasn't anything that looked remotely burned.

At this point I am exasperated as to what the issue might be. I do not think all the boards could be dead since it did successfully hash for a minute and all the boards came up as working. I also do not think it could be my internet connection, as I'm currently running an S4 through the same router with no issues, and the S7 never beeps, which I've read is what it does when it can't connect.

A note about the internet connection though: I don't know what to make of this, but every time the miner starts up and fails to boot properly, it does something to the DNS connection in my router that kills the ability of anything connected to the router to use DNS, which is only fixed when the miner is turned off and my router restarted. The one time it did boot properly, however, there were no DNS issues until after it crashed again.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'm open to anything.
flameruk

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 10:32:32 AM

Try turning on leave for five minutes then hold down reset button for ten seconds with paper clip.
Failing that either faulty controller board or all the hash cards probably broken.

Was the fan damaged when you received unit? On boot only discharge fan will operate air inlet fan won’t spin up until it mines.

Find my P2POOL node at www.ukp2pool.uk:9332

Donations for operating node?
BTC  1CYevtGy3aqr1reuq7CFceNFAT7snsz3VM
gorillazilla9 (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 08:29:59 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2017, 09:19:56 PM by gorillazilla9

Thank you for the quick reply.

I factory reset it and flashed new firmware for good measure too. I got it to come online for another couple minutes or so with everything hashing correctly before it lost internet connection and started beeping, and now that's what it does every time I turn it on and allow it to sit for several minutes. That leads me to think it actually is an internet connection problem now.

But the issue is my internet connection is fine and works perfectly for my other miner through the exact same router, and the DNS issues only start when I turn the S7 on. So it seems trying to run the miner crashes the internet, but the internet needs to on for the miner to boot properly.

And to answer your question: yes the fan blade had probably been knocked off during the shipping, but like I said when I popped it back on the fan seemingly ran just fine. It's intake fan too if that means anything.

EDIT: I noticed that the red-orange lights on two of the three hash boards are occasionally flashing when I leave it running. I took that to mean that the middle hash board isn't working, however the problem (and the flashing lights) persists even after disconnecting that board.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 04:57:12 PM

Get it hashing and take a screenshot of the miner status page while its actually reporting something and post it back on here.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
gorillazilla9 (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 04:39:36 AM

I couldn't get it hashing again after numerous resets and reboots so I guess it just died on me somehow. I cut my losses and bought a new one; if this one works I might try swapping parts between them to identify what failed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: