Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 06:29:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to blockr.io explorer?  (Read 329 times)
Coding Enthusiast (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783

Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 06:30:09 AM

I am using https://www.blockr.io/ API a lot but recently I noticed when I make a call I get an error and visiting the site redirects me to coinbase.com!

Does anyone know what happened to them?

Projects List+Suggestion box
Donate: 1Q9s or bc1q
|
|
|
FinderOuter(0.19.1)Ann-git
Denovo(0.7.0)Ann-git
Bitcoin.Net(0.26.0)Ann-git
|
|
|
BitcoinTransactionTool(0.11.0)Ann-git
WatchOnlyBitcoinWallet(3.2.1)Ann-git
SharpPusher(0.12.0)Ann-git
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 06:36:40 AM

I am using https://www.blockr.io/ API a lot but recently I noticed when I make a call I get an error and visiting the site redirects me to coinbase.com!
Weird.I tried tracing the redirect but that didn't lead me to anything!This is surprising because according to the link it should show coinbase.The google doesn't show up any relevant results for blockr.io either however after little bit of tinkering around with the domain,I realised this :

Blockr.io
Company
blockr.io
Founded: 2013
Parent organization: Coinbase
Seems completely fair and they can do whatever the want with blockr.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 08:47:06 AM

Does anyone know what happened to them?

They were my go-to block explorer, so it was a bummer to see them go. I'm not sure why they shut down, since I know that I wasn't the only one who used them regularly. They were pretty well-known.

A month or so back, I noticed a message at the top of the home page, saying that they were shutting the block explorer down. They've been gone for several weeks now. Back then, I didn't realize there was a connection to Coinbase, and I had originally hoped they would relaunch the service. Seems unlikely now. Undecided

Coding Enthusiast (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783

Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 09:05:58 AM

A month or so back, I noticed a message at the top of the home page, saying that they were shutting the block explorer down.

I did not know this. I have always used the API Tongue

Projects List+Suggestion box
Donate: 1Q9s or bc1q
|
|
|
FinderOuter(0.19.1)Ann-git
Denovo(0.7.0)Ann-git
Bitcoin.Net(0.26.0)Ann-git
|
|
|
BitcoinTransactionTool(0.11.0)Ann-git
WatchOnlyBitcoinWallet(3.2.1)Ann-git
SharpPusher(0.12.0)Ann-git
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 09:48:23 AM

Coinbase may be having financial difficulty trying to maintain blockr.io or simply thought that having their own block explorer was quite unnecessary. Blockr.io was already pretty buggy to begin with, the pages took way too long to load even when it was up.

Why not just use some other API?

Plenty of options, blockchain.info, blockcypher, etc. etc.

LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1338

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 11:01:46 PM

Yeah, I also been redirected to Coinbase website. If Blockr.io belongs to Coinbase, maybe they will integrate this Block explorer to Coinbase website and it will be available on Coinbase.com as one of their services.
EDIT: https://cryptocoinsnews.com/blockr-io-shuttered-by-coinbase/amp/?espv=1
Found this article and from that I understood that Blockr.io just wasn't beneficial for Coinbase.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: