Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:11:09 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I did it! Traveling with Bitcoin and $100 only  (Read 4927 times)
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 1207

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 12:02:39 PM

My journey started on Sep 21, from Boston to NYC, flight to Egypt then Turkey, back to Boston! Carrying $100 just in case and 3 bitcoins in my wallet!

Fuck If I will ever carry credit card, or cash any more:

1- I used Localbitcoins for cash! Search for best local currency rate!
2- How much I save from credit card fees and Fiat exchanges: $305.
3- Is it save to deal with Localbitcoins in person overseas? Yes, so amazing nice guys, you are making friends Smiley

You should try it! & $100 stayed with me! and I spent less than 1.9 btc in both countries!!!

That's great and a wonderful experience, you should create a blog or an article about your experience so people will read that you can use bitcoin in your travel and daily activities like shopping and  going to a movie and eating in a restaurant you can open a blog in blogspot and it's free

princesocapuyo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 01:09:43 PM

Good job dude! However you shouldn't be spending your Bitcoin right now. How will you feel when in 5 years they are quadruple or more of the value right now. Good experience but don't do it again.

BY_ATOM

Activity: 406
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 01:15:47 PM

It's really cool! I am very glad that you got it. The more such actions and people, the more popular will get bitcoin all over the world!

joseafonso123az

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 01:24:30 PM

Congrats fellow user! You showed us that you can use BTC abroad for a travel, without having issues! But there will be always some risks with whom you should deal in LocalBitcoins! Good that you met good dealers, that enhanced your experience in travelling with Bitcoin!
Zarbout

Activity: 168

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 02:10:48 PM

[/b]3- Is it save to deal with Localbitcoins in person overseas? Yes, so amazing nice guys, you are making friends Smiley

It's the first thing i had in mind when reading your post. Maybe i'll try it soon. I had the idea to travel just using bitcoin but i had different plan to turn my coins to cash.
I'll try to deal with local person and we will see.

Ehrhc (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 106

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:29:25 PM

My journey started on Sep 21, from Boston to NYC, flight to Egypt then Turkey, back to Boston! Carrying $100 just in case and 3 bitcoins in my wallet!

3- Is it save to deal with Localbitcoins in person overseas? Yes, so amazing nice guys, you are making friends Smiley

You should try it! & $100 stayed with me! and I spent less than 1.9 btc in both countries!!!
Sorry to say so, but you must have a shitty credit card deal if that's the case. My debit card has zero fees for international withdrawals, I can't imagine one that has worse fees than the deviation localbitcoins has from actual bitcoin exchange rates.

Chase debit card and Wellsfargo credit/debit ! I don't know which bank you use!

Here is my trick with international guys ( Since now i have experience?), most have their number there, you call from your hotel ( free) and say I am at this hotel, would you like to make an exchange ( none said no), not just they showed up, they feel plus you that you are among this exclusive club! and most topic was when it will hit $5000.

..C..
........Finally C is .........
...........            ............
       ............            ............
...................      ....................

Ehrhc (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:32:17 PM

I have always heard people here saying they will spend money on travels or buying for routine life, but I feel your story shall be an inspiration for many of us, who would like to use Bitcoin over cash, just out of curiosity, the prices were preety much fluctuating, did you had a contingency plan, Incase the price went to low. I am sure many will take your story as a example, but not all are lucky to have 3 Bitcoins to spare.

Yes, I was carrying my cards ( visa and master card one debit other credit) plus the $100.
Well I was doing small transactions 1 per 2 days ( So I don't cry if while it was going up!).

Plus both Egypt and Turkey kinda cheap for US citizen, or let me reverse it, if you go where locals go and eat plus travel, it will be freakin cheap.
it did cost me $10 a day in Egypt to travel and eat!

..C..

Ehrhc (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:34:10 PM

this is one of my dreams to travel to some other country and take with me only bitcoin on my cell phone or even on some paper wallet and spend it there. although my dream involve spending bitcoin directly not to be forced to convert it to local currency and then pay for stuff.
like paying your hotel, taxi, restaurants,... with bitcoin.

but how about the price difference? for example if bitcoin is $4300 on localbitcoin I usually find much lower prices that they are buying at. won't that negate the $305 you saved up?

You deal with cash face to face, the deal is always close if not match to real time trading! Plus you are dealing with their local currency, Egypt and Turkey don't have tide currency exchange rate! So its dynamic day per day.

..C..

Ehrhc (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:38:54 PM

have you tried direct payments with bitcoins to local businesses? are there any in turkey or egypt?
or only exchange to local currency?
have you checked rate differences between USD -> egypt pounds and BTC->pounds?

No, to be honest, I was doing local exchange face to face, in turkey there are couple of restaurant and stores accepting btc, but i was ehh , get fiat in best rate and go every where!

Yes, the exchange math you do it once! Then you have multiple guys in Egypt and Turkey who will give you real time matching, because you are dealing face to face! And Everyone  was into the experience itself! You know my other fellow BTC holder! its like exclusive club member reunion Smiley

..C..

xaxistech

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:41:14 PM

It is amazing mate, i am so happy to read things like this, it really motivates me to do some travelling right now, but i can not because i have too much work and i can leave my computer at the moment, i work more than 12 hours a day in front of my computer, so it is difficult for me to go travel. But i really think that i will need a few days off in some time, what a nice idea.

▄▄███▄▄
     ▄▄███████████▄▄
 ▄▄███████████████████▄▄
██████████████████████████
  ▀▀██████████████████▀▀ ▄▄
      ▀▀██████████▀▀ ▄▄████
          ▀▀█▀▀ ▄▄█████████
             ▄█████████████
             ██████████████
             ██████████████
             ██████████████
             ██████████████
             █████████████▀
             █████████▀▀
             █████▀▀
             ▀▀▀
Brickblock.io
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║

▄▄██▄
              ▄▄█▀▀  ██
          ▄▄█▀▀      █▌
      ▄▄█▀▀   ▄▀    ██
 ▄▄▄█▀▀    ▄█▀     ▐█
██      ▄██▀       █▌
 ▀▀██▄███▀        ██
     ██▀▀█▄▄▄     █▌
      █▄  ██▀▀▀█▄██
       █▄█▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄                  ▄▄▄
█████▄             ▄██████▄
█████████▄        ████████████▄
██████████▌▄     ██████████████
██████████▌▐█  ▄█████████████▀▄█
██████████▌▐██▄▀████████████ ███
██████████▌▐████▀██████████ ████
██████████▌▐█████ ███████▀▄█████
██████████▌ ▀█████▄▀████ ███████
██████████▌   ▀▀████ ██▄████████
▀█████████▌      ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████████
   ▀▀█████▌             ▀▀██████
        ▀█▌                  ▀▀█
║║
║║
║║
║║
║║
Ehrhc (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:42:05 PM

Sorry to say so, but you must have a shitty credit card deal if that's the case. My debit card has zero fees for international withdrawals, I can't imagine one that has worse fees than the deviation localbitcoins has from actual bitcoin exchange rates.

I think he's referring to forex fees. If you are using a dollar based credit card and spending in say pounds, you usually get charged a 5% forex fee (they bump up the exchange rate by 5%). And if you are travelling to places like Egypt, they can bump up the exchange rate by as much as 10%. You might not even be aware this is happening unless you check the real exchange rates.

Here is what chase does:
1- If you withdrawal cash its $5 fees + %5 forex fees.
2- In Egypt I just put the card to see how much i can withdrawal! its 3000 pounds, which is $170 so for every $170 I am paying up to $10...

Turkey same for chase, but withdrawal limit is up, i forgot but something like $400or $600

..C..

Ehrhc (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:43:34 PM

It is amazing mate, i am so happy to read things like this, it really motivates me to do some travelling right now, but i can not because i have too much work and i can leave my computer at the moment, i work more than 12 hours a day in front of my computer, so it is difficult for me to go travel. But i really think that i will need a few days off in some time, what a nice idea.

Dude, get up your ass, and take your laptop with you! I was investing in ICOs ( Litra and other ones) While traveling!

Its always difficult, but once you stand up and get your ass to the airport ..its done!

..C..

FasTroy

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:45:07 PM

Congrats man, I hope that you enjoyed this travel, which you used bitcoin without any touch of your 100$. It's really nice.  I know about localbitcoins.com, which you can exchange our bitcoin to fiat without any risk, we just need to search a trusted person, and we can deal without any fear whether hand-to-hand or online.

Ehrhc (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:46:00 PM

Good job dude! However you shouldn't be spending your Bitcoin right now. How will you feel when in 5 years they are quadruple or more of the value right now. Good experience but don't do it again.

Can you guarantee I am going to be alive an 1 hour from now? I bought btc when it was $104! Plus I am investing in Litra, so no matter what i am going to have 5x-10x within 3 months.

Money is way to enjoy life! BTC is just making it more exciting fun and chance to meet other awesome guys!

..C..

Ehrhc (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:47:26 PM

Congrats man, I hope that you enjoyed this travel, which you used bitcoin without any touch of your 100$. It's really nice.  I know about localbitcoins.com, which you can exchange our bitcoin to fiat without any risk, we just need to search a trusted person, and we can deal without any fear whether hand-to-hand or online.

Face to Face..You don't have to worry! Some will invite you to check places, or actually advice you where to go...Tour tips for free!

..C..

Burks

Activity: 303

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:48:46 PM

It's really cool! I am very glad that you got it. The more such actions and people, the more popular will get bitcoin all over the world!
Yeah that was cool,that guy showed as what bitcoin can do.From that we can identify that the bitcoin is popularizing all over the world.And i can understand that it was an awesome experience.But spending the bitcoin nowadays is not good i think.Because the bitcoin prize is keep increasing so you have to hold it for future use.Maybe in the next year the bitcoin prize becomes increases and the you can use it with high profits.
Ehrhc (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:54:13 PM

Yeah that was cool,that guy showed as what bitcoin can do.From that we can identify that the bitcoin is popularizing all over the world.And i can understand that it was an awesome experience.But spending the bitcoin nowadays is not good i think.Because the bitcoin prize is keep increasing so you have to hold it for future use.Maybe in the next year the bitcoin prize becomes increases and the you can use it with high profits.

Dude..Just go enjoy life! You can't guarantee be alive in the next hour! I was traveling plus the bitcoin added a very unique experience, and flavor to it! Which money can't buy!

If you are like me, I did invest in three ICOs, one of them will for sure bring 5x-10x in next 3 months (Litra) So whatever i spent I will get back, If i die my family will enjoy Litra investment returns Smiley

Enjoy life man! Go have fun...It was seriously a priceless experience.

..C..

cng-

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 06:53:26 PM

Have you considered a crypto card? I heard the TenX card allows you to withdraw from ATMs in the local currency, but I don't have one and I don't recall seeing any videos of that before. That would be quite useful for as an alternative backup plan to localbitcoins.
flippener

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 09:01:39 PM

I'm not sure if you're brave or foolish - but well done!

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

annbagira

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 09:17:46 PM

Wow! Great news! Thank you for this amazing message it's sounds like message from another planet because exist some countries like my where it's a grand problem! You have 1000 problems just to convert or something like that. More preferable here still fiat and it's like craziness. I cannot believe that some people can just fly or living like person and even traveling. Super! Congratulations!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: