Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 12:04:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I did it! Traveling with Bitcoin and $100 only  (Read 4926 times)
ubay

Activity: 728
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 08:06:03 AM

My journey started on Sep 21, from Boston to NYC, flight to Egypt then Turkey, back to Boston! Carrying $100 just in case and 3 bitcoins in my wallet!

Fuck If I will ever carry credit card, or cash any more:

1- I used Localbitcoins for cash! Search for best local currency rate!
2- How much I save from credit card fees and Fiat exchanges: $305.
3- Is it save to deal with Localbitcoins in person overseas? Yes, so amazing nice guys, you are making friends Smiley

You should try it! & $100 stayed with me! and I spent less than 1.9 btc in both countries!!!

A very pleasant experience of course, maybe next time I will try it. Bitcoin is indeed something magical, and will continue that way.

ssb883

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 08:16:51 AM

Good job dude! However you shouldn't be spending your Bitcoin right now. How will you feel when in 5 years they are quadruple or more of the value right now. Good experience but don't do it again.

Can you guarantee I am going to be alive an 1 hour from now? I bought btc when it was $104! Plus I am investing in Litra, so no matter what i am going to have 5x-10x within 3 months.

Money is way to enjoy life! BTC is just making it more exciting fun and chance to meet other awesome guys!

This I understood you. You have nice concept of living.

Most people would stop themselves from spending BTC but none of us have assurance we'll still be here by the time BTC have higher prices than NOW.

Great you bought BTC early.
Opquar

Activity: 385
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 08:20:51 AM

That's pretty incredible. I wish there was like a global service that exchanges Bitcoins for all currencies with international presence. Most are local right now. That might be too big of an operation for with very few users though.
vaughn125

Activity: 238

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 09:37:45 AM

My journey started on Sep 21, from Boston to NYC, flight to Egypt then Turkey, back to Boston! Carrying $100 just in case and 3 bitcoins in my wallet!

Fuck If I will ever carry credit card, or cash any more:

1- I used Localbitcoins for cash! Search for best local currency rate!
2- How much I save from credit card fees and Fiat exchanges: $305.
3- Is it save to deal with Localbitcoins in person overseas? Yes, so amazing nice guys, you are making friends Smiley

You should try it! & $100 stayed with me! and I spent less than 1.9 btc in both countries!!!

Wow man, that’s really awesome. You actually did what I was dreaming for like, my whole  time here in the crypto world. I really wish i could do the same. To be able to travel anywhere using just bitcoins. That would be the greatest thing i would ever do in my whole life.
sch_lau

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

🌟ATLANT ICO: 7/09/17🌟

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 09:55:28 AM

how were you able to pay for food and souvenirs with bitcoins? are they popular in Egypt? That sounds very interesting given that I'm always paranoid with my wallet when I'm traveling.

greeklogos

Activity: 658
Merit: 152

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 09:59:40 AM

That is great experience. I suppose bitcoin ATMs there are in every big city now, so that wasn't a problem for you to cash out your coins. I can only dream to do something like this now, I just joined the forum and my bitcoin savings are not so big yet.
South Park

Activity: 2926
Merit: 798

I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 10:16:10 PM

That's very good but bitcoin is very changeable so sometimes when price is high and you decide to exchange, you can lose some $ like there was fall couple weeks ago. If I understand correctly you where meeting persons face to face to exchange btc? This would help you to save atm withdraw fees? Am I right? On another hand what about XAPO card in such situation? As I know you can usw their card worldwide and atm withdraw has fixed fee.
That is another option, you can use a bitcoin debit card to withdraw money  from ATM all over the world, that way you will not have to deal with people and the risk that entails but even then I think the strategy of the OP was bold but it show to us that in a few years traveling and using only bitcoin is going to become a lot more common.
StonedWolf

Activity: 308
Merit: 120

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 11:35:19 PM

I think if you asked the opinion of bitcointalk's members, before leaving on your trip, on your idea and what you are going to do all the users will give  you negative answers and you will receive enormously negative waves. But thanks to your courage and your determination you have completed an adventure far from being realizable later.
You are totally right, and I couldn't agree more with you, but it was an adventure, and it was worth it, I would listen to this forum members couple of years ago, but now! NO! Do then share! But don't ask to do.
Many negative trash waste of time people here now.

You dont have to listen to all those trash and recieve thoe negatives waves, you just need a lot of motivation and determination with a good company in order to have a very funny moments. And remember, the most important thing is to be optimistic about your adventure !!

Shamie1002

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 05:17:08 AM

I think that the use of bitcoins in traveling will bring great experience. We all know that bitcoin is decentralised and canvassing cost may be made easier when services can be paid directly in bitcoins.
It's great and inspiring reading experiences like these because it makes us feel more secured in the use of bitcoins. And that the use of bitcoin in traveling is real.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 05:29:01 AM

Man, I couldnt get to the next state with 100 bucks in any currency, LOL.

But seriously, this is one of the hidden strengths of bitcoin; being able to travel with your wealth, and being able to convert your wealth to local currency and back again, without having to make foreign currencies cross borders (which can be illegal if you are carrying too much). problem is actually using the local exchange; until adoption is better, you cant assure everywhere you go will have an easily accessible exchange. and the cards that use bitcoin as a balance are usually tied to a certain market; you would incur international transaction fees (but this would be convenient, if the card worked).

best strategy is to already have a bitcoin debit card for the locale you intend to visit Wink you can always just take the unused funds off the card when you are finished.
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 05:32:52 AM

You are the first person that I heard of who have tried somehing like that. It worms my hearth even more to see that you succeeded in your mission. From this we can see that main mission of Bitcoin is starting to accomplish it self. This also show us that Bitcoin can become worlds currency. I hope that in future there will be more people who will be able to confirm things like this.
Xenrise

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 05:42:05 AM

Wow that is great. By travelling 2 cities with 3 bitcoins and only $100 WOW. This is the new revolution or the new era of cryptocurrency. We can go out now without any fiat money! Hooray for BTC>
24core

Activity: 582

An Impressive Purely Anonymous Currency.

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2017, 10:11:33 AM

I have tried something similar but it is very difficult. Buying food and groceries would be great and I do see this coming to cryptocurrency very soon.

Getting a visa connected to bitcoins is possible now which is one good option. Smiley

Phantomberry

Activity: 588
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 10:16:03 AM

Oh same to me i travel from Phillippines to Hongkong with a pocket of $80 came from my wallet in bitcoin. I always use bitcoin as my everyday money.
CisColtz

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 10:20:26 AM

I might doing the same this week lel , i love to travel and now that bitcoin is so high a little bit of relaxing is welcome for me so yea thanks for sharing your story with us.
Dyn@styN3rd

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 10:27:23 AM

First of all congratulations OP for a successful travel using Bitcoin as your currency. Would love to have 3 BTC as pocket money if ever I plan to take a vacation too! This is such an inspiration as you can do something now with just Bitcoin on your wallet.
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2017, 10:42:24 AM

Congratulations on your trip. But in reality isn't it possible that you probably just got lucky that someone wanted to buy your bitcoin at the time you needed it? Or another possibility is that you posted your selling price too low not to be ignored by someone to buy?

Is this story legit? I mean if you just landed at an airport im assuming you need to get a taxi to a restaurant or somewhere right? Or did someone coincidentally want to buy bitcoin at an airport? Lol. You said you still have the $100 intact and i don't see how when you said you traded with people in restaurants.

What if nobody was buying bitcoin when you landed at the airport? Would you wait for days until someone contacts you for a trade?

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
planfox

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 10:46:02 AM

It is wonderful that there is already an opportunity to travel with bitcoins, but not all countries can pay them. You need to carefully choose your route when traveling with bitcoins.
new24core

Activity: 413
Merit: 17

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 11:36:39 AM

I have tried something similar but it is very difficult. Buying food and groceries would be great and I do see this coming to cryptocurrency very soon.

Getting a visa connected to bitcoins is possible now which is one good option. Smiley

Don't believe anything this person is saying as he has taken my account - do not trust!!!!
Zarbout

Activity: 168

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 02:46:13 PM

Lucky you. You realized my dream before i did. I'm glad to hear that's not hard to do it.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: