Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:18:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: looks like bitkong site is secretly mining on users machine - (Browsermining) !!  (Read 1163 times)
kal_21 (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 09:41:17 AM

looks like bitkong site is secretly mining on users machine - (Browsermining) !!

have anyone observed it ? bitkong webpage is consuming 90% of CPU usage, Not sure which crypto but I guess probably monero

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 10:45:48 AM

looks like bitkong site is secretly mining on users machine - (Browsermining) !!

have anyone observed it ? bitkong webpage is consuming 90% of CPU usage, Not sure which crypto but I guess probably monero

Coinhive (https://coinhive.com) makes it really easy to integrate mining into your webpage, without notifying the user.
The anonymous nature of Monero makes this even more attractive for website owners or
people who gained access to the source code of a website in a malicious way.

I fear that we will see a ton of similar incidents in the future.

Junko
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 11:27:29 AM

Is there a way to specifically tell if some third/outside party is covertly or surreptitiously using your computer to mine cryptocurrency for them? When I open up my task manager and look at all the stuff running on my cpu, most of the apps and processes look legit, but some of the things I have absolutely no clue what they are exactly. Is there any software like malwarebytes or ad-aware than can detect if someone is using your cpu to mine?
Tipstar

Activity: 1764
Merit: 280

Smart World Global Token

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 12:03:07 PM

I didn't find any coinhive or similar script on the site. But the CPU use is unusually high. Might be some unknown mining script.
And found the CPU use spike is mostly on loading the site, might be the graphics.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1176

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 12:11:14 PM

It is very sneaky and underhanded, probably illegal, to use peoples machines like this without prior permission. However it is a very interesting avenue for website owners to generate advertising revenue, as long as their users have been informed in advance. Do ad blocking add-ons for browsers block these browser miners? Seems like a good idea to install it on any machine

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
kal_21 (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 01:24:00 PM

No Ad block apps are not yet that sophisticated to identify it.
keyrun

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 01:54:13 PM

It is very sneaky and underhanded, probably illegal, to use peoples machines like this without prior permission. However it is a very interesting avenue for website owners to generate advertising revenue, as long as their users have been informed in advance. Do ad blocking add-ons for browsers block these browser miners? Seems like a good idea to install it on any machine

Antivirus like kaspersky are found to block them. Don't know about ad blockers, I have an Adblockplus but didn't found out which ads did it block.
milewilda
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1127

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 02:30:38 PM

I didn't find any coinhive or similar script on the site. But the CPU use is unusually high. Might be some unknown mining script.
And found the CPU use spike is mostly on loading the site, might be the graphics.
If theres a spike then its normal because it do just come down and normalize its movement but the spike happen without any changes later on then there would really be something on that site.As assumed maybe they do secretly operate mining without users knowledge.I havent tried about bitkong. I will try later on if it does really consume cpu usage.

BTTrader

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 03:16:16 PM

Man, what a sneaky crappy thing to do. Not sure of the ins and outs about how they can do that through your computer, but it is something that is nice to be aware of.
ProGamerJojo

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 03:21:20 PM

I don't think so mate  Wink
kal_21 (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 04:08:51 PM

umm !! looks like site is choosing random users to avoid users outcry
YOLO_LIFE

Activity: 162
Merit: 16

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 04:13:57 PM

Do you make any video or capture screen of task manager before opening bitkong site and after closing website?
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 04:34:05 PM

Coinhive (https://coinhive.com) makes it really easy to integrate mining into your webpage, without notifying the user.
The anonymous nature of Monero makes this even more attractive for website owners or
people who gained access to the source code of a website in a malicious way.

I fear that we will see a ton of similar incidents in the future.

I've never seen that site before. The idea of using crypto mining as a captcha is...interesting. I've certainly never seen it before. I wonder if we'll start to see this kind of stuff elsewhere.
stevrev

Activity: 615
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:22:10 PM

how can one verify if they are doing this with certainty?
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 05:24:07 PM

how can one verify if they are doing this with certainty?
It's pretty obvious, when you navigate to their website you'll be able to see your CPU usage go up dramatically and when you close it, it goes back down. You can tell for sure usually if you look through the source of the website but that's not as easy as just opening task manager.
Bolt Brownie

Activity: 700
Merit: 350

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:24:53 PM

That is actually becoming a trend now, and that worries me. At least for now some big sites have been discovered, and that means that the awareness of users is increasing, so many more reports like this will probably come, and eventually these abusive uses will stop.
lite
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:48:21 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2017, 06:19:30 PM by lite

I think they're not using user's machines to mine monero! it's just the graphics and recent bets/stats causing so much load, i removed recent bets(using developers tools on chrome) and CPU usage went down a lot, also tried running it in mobile mod, wasn't heavy on my laptop. Wink
marlboroza
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 2270

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 06:15:27 PM

Do you have proof that they are using your machine to mine monero?
Because I just went to site and it consumed 30 or 40% of CPU, I don't think they are mining anything.
Mike Mayor

Activity: 966
Merit: 535

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 07:18:36 PM

Do you have proof that they are using your machine to mine monero?
Because I just went to site and it consumed 30 or 40% of CPU, I don't think they are mining anything.

Yes I agree. Just Saying "oh it mines at 90% could use" is bit good enough and why are other users bit reporting such high usage ? I don't know why a site like this would use much could at all and if it is then something strange is going on. If you want to know for sure you should use a program that monitors it and in and close the oage a few times and see if anything that should not be running is. Otherwise it is just naysay.

NLNico
Legendary
hacker

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1289

DiceSites.com owner

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2017, 04:36:50 AM

Doesn't even reach 10% CPU here lol. Quickly looked in source code and didn't see anything special either.

Rationally we should expect scripts like that on shit sites where the site owner has no other way to earn money from their visitors. A gambling site is quite the opposite of that, so it would not make any sense for them to screw over their visitors like that.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: