Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:18:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Torrent block chain  (Read 1887 times)
Anonymous

December 12, 2010, 04:40:52 AM

What if you created a block chain composed of torrent files ?There would be no need to have a central website all you would need is a client that searches the block chain for you and finds the torrent you want.  How would the transaction side of it work ?

The file hosting could be left for tahoe lafs or something . No torrent search site to send take down notices too.  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 04:46:43 AM

What if you created a block chain composed of torrent files ?There would be no need to have a central website all you would need is a client that searches the block chain for you and finds the torrent you want.  How would the transaction side of it work ?

The file hosting could be left for tahoe lafs or something . No torrent search site to send take down notices too.  Cheesy

+1 !

I've already smitted this idea on the "python client" thread.
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=231.msg28952#msg28952

I also whish those files would be in ASCII, so that we implement the bitcoin client in a scripting language.

One question is :  is it possible to share several hundreds of thousands of files in P2P ?

We could consider using the GNUnet framework, because I think it can be used with a datastore, instead of files.

Anonymous

December 12, 2010, 04:49:05 AM

What if you created a block chain composed of torrent files ?There would be no need to have a central website all you would need is a client that searches the block chain for you and finds the torrent you want.  How would the transaction side of it work ?

The file hosting could be left for tahoe lafs or something . No torrent search site to send take down notices too.  Cheesy

+1 !

I've already smitted this idea on the "python client" thread.

I also whish those files would be in ASCII, so that we implement the bitcoin client in a scripting language.

One question is :  is it possible to share several hundreds of thousands of files in P2P ?

Well that happens now doesnt it? Files could be hosted on tahoe and the tracker just knows the location.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 04:56:01 AM

No need a torrent block chain. Just run a p2p distributed search engine. You find a torrent you like. You download it. You keep the torrent data in your torrent cache so others can download it from you...

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 04:58:33 AM

Well that happens now doesnt it? Files could be hosted on tahoe and the tracker just knows the location.

I don't know.  Maybe.   Anyway, what we really need is a distributed database, imo.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 05:00:06 AM

On second thought, didn't tribler already implemented all of these?

Anonymous

December 12, 2010, 05:18:47 AM

Theres still a lack of incentive to seed torrents. Networks are plagued by slow speeds or nonexistent seeders especially for rare torrents and the quality is patchy. Hell it would be enough to flattr your fellow seeders who you download good quality files from.

Communism doesnt work  Cheesy
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 06:26:02 AM

Well, after some thinking, I think it's finally not a good idea indeed.

First, indeed there is no incentive to seed torrents.  Therefore, you can not be sure all blocks will be available unless you store them on yur own node.

Second, bitcoin requires quick communication between nodes, for transactions.  Therefore it needs its own communication network anyway.  So using it to exchange blocks is a small payload.

Anyway, I now kind of trust Satoshi to have come up with a pretty good network structure.  I doubt we could do much better.

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2010, 08:12:17 AM

torrents woukd provide for a much better bootstrapping

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: