Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:38:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you think we should enforce a vote or poll for new coin announcements?
Yes - 76 (47.8%)
No - 46 (28.9%)
I would be interested in discussing other alternatives. - 17 (10.7%)
I don't care about this subforum enough to be bothered - 20 (12.6%)
Total Voters: 159

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A solution to the crapcoin announcements  (Read 3106 times)
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:43:28 PM

Let's face it.  These damn fly-by-night new coin announcements are annoying as shit.  Not only are they crudding up the forums with spam and additional scammers, but they're hurting the overall cryptocoin ecosystem.  There are a lot of people that say, "but this coin does this different" or "it should stop after coin x, because the rest are shite."  I'm not going to lie, I mined some of them.  FC2 because it was the first time I was able to solo mine something and get full blocks.  I mined YAC too, and I think it's got something going for it, but not to the point where I'm dropping money on it.  But now there's vaginacoins and (insert country name here) coins, and fastcoins, and slowcoins, and who-gives-a-shit coins.  It's getting ridiculous.  We need to stop it.  So here's my proposal...

All new coins need to be voted on before they're allowed to be announced or released on this forum.  Whether that be by poll, or by a group of mods/cryptocoin leaders that are well respected and trusted.  If it gets a majority vote, it can be announced.  If it fails, it doesn't get the time of day in the forums.  If people try to post anyway, the post is deleted by a mod.  Fuck em.

I used to like hanging out in this subforum because I learned a lot about LTC and such.  Now I don't even want to look in here because of the 8,000 new coins posted everyday.

There are enough people here that are seriously getting tired of it.  So stand up and do something about it.
waaaa waaa you have 100 posts.  Your can't block people from announcing their coins.  Then what? you'll whine that it was pre-mined?

If this is what keeps you up at night, its time to get a life.

Don't knock it, maybe this is his life. Savior of the forums. It's fine if he's annoyed by something that he sees has no value. Bitcoiners annoy me because they see value in things that are useless to me personally, and I don't mind telling them to go fuck themselves when they try to conclude that that means I'm anti-bitcoin. That said, I too would be happy to be able to "ignore" threads. That'd be pimp.

ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:45:10 PM

You're absolutely right, except when it comes to cases of spam (which are noise, and that's what the OP is proposing the alt-coin announcements are, completely spammy noise). Do you look through your whole spam folder one by one because "reading email is not a popularity contest"?

In fact it *is* a popularity contest, a contest for your attention. That is the whole point of spam (which is what OP is proposing the alt-coin announcements basically are). I don't know if I agree with him that they are spam in essence, but I doubt we'd miss anything if there weren't new coins created every week.

+1 to you, sir.  Spot on.

I can ignore spam email all I want, it doesn't mean my gmail is going to be any less full of it at any given time.  I'm just tired of the same damn posts over and over about crapcoins that offer nothing new.  Half of them still have references to the coins they copied.  Yet everyone and their mom comments on the posts and keeps them on the front page.  Give me the power to do something for myself, and I'll do it, ffs.

Community > Devs
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:47:00 PM

You're absolutely right, except when it comes to cases of spam (which are noise, and that's what the OP is proposing the alt-coin announcements are, completely spammy noise). Do you look through your whole spam folder one by one because "reading email is not a popularity contest"?

In fact it *is* a popularity contest, a contest for your attention. That is the whole point of spam (which is what OP is proposing the alt-coin announcements basically are). I don't know if I agree with him that they are spam in essence, but I doubt we'd miss anything if there weren't new coins created every week.

+1 to you, sir.  Spot on.

I can ignore spam email all I want, it doesn't mean my gmail is going to be any less full of it at any given time.  I'm just tired of the same damn posts over and over about crapcoins that offer nothing new.  Half of them still have references to the coins they copied.  Yet everyone and their mom comments on the posts and keeps them on the front page.  Give me the power to do something for myself, and I'll do it, ffs.

In my 2 years here I have seen this complaint over and over and over again. In light of Theymos taking the piss, I think it's time to make a new forum that handles this and other issues. brb making a forum.

metacoin

Activity: 437
Merit: 260

balance

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 09:47:58 PM

The amount of spam may be too high, I agree some threads we can do without (sarcasm / mockery of alt-coins). The mods might need to force their hand more often to remove obvious troll posts or keep discussions appearing intelligent around here. Then again, I'm not very familiar with the policies or the environment of this forum, if intervention is practiced by the mods regularly or if they have a more hands-off approach.

pin.org
ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

HODL for life.

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:50:30 PM

waaaa waaa you have 100 posts.  Your can't block people from announcing their coins.  Then what? you'll whine that it was pre-mined?

I have a life outside the forums, which is why when I come here to catch up, I don't want to have to sort through the crap to find something of value.  The fact that I have 100 posts means nothing but the fact that I like to read more than talk.  Some people in these forums should learn to do such...

BTW... look up my posts and let me know if you find any complaints of pre-mines.  That's because I don't waste my time with crapcoins that are, which is 90% of what's been coming out.

Community > Devs
thekidcoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

FlutterCoin Developer

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:52:35 PM

I have a life outside the forums, which is why when I come here to catch up, I don't want to have to sort through the crap to find something of value.  The fact that I have 100 posts means nothing but the fact that I like to read more than talk.  Some people in these forums should learn to do such...

BTW... look up my posts and let me know if you find any complaints of pre-mines.  That's because I don't waste my time with crapcoins that are, which is 90% of what's been coming out.
Read what? there is about 1% worthwhile information on any forum here.  Tough like if you don't like sorting.  Quit whining.

1MYL967PR52xiNtqSP9WphRvPzKZDjBdxn
metacoin

Activity: 437
Merit: 260

balance

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 09:53:47 PM

If someone took 5 minutes to program a chrome extension with the ability to "ignore" threads, would that be good enough?

I enjoy posts about new coins and I like the way this forum is laid out. It says "Alternate cryptocurrencies" and that's exactly what you get. I'm not sure if the solution of "people who happen to be online in a short period of time get to vote on whether or not a coin is valid" is a good one, considering the value may not be realized until much later or simply by different people.

pin.org
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:55:34 PM

If someone took 5 minutes to program a chrome extension with the ability to "ignore" threads, would that be good enough?

I enjoy posts about new coins and I like the way this forum is laid out. It says "Alternate cryptocurrencies" and that's exactly what you get. I'm not sure if the solution of "people who happen to be online in a short period of time get to vote on whether or not a coin is valid" is a good one, considering the value may not be realized until much later or simply by different people.

He already said it would. I think he would appreciate you doing it for him. Thanks!

ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

HODL for life.

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:55:40 PM

Read what? there is about 1% worthwhile information on any forum here.  Tough like if you don't like sorting.  Quit whining.

Exactly, there used to be at least 5%.  And we don't get the ability to sort.  Give me the ability to sort my own list of threads and I'll stfu and keep to myself.

100% behind getting the ability to ignore entire threads.

Community > Devs
ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

HODL for life.

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:56:14 PM

He already said it would. I think he would appreciate you doing it for him. Thanks!

I think a lot of people would appreciate it.

Community > Devs
ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

HODL for life.

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:24:35 AM

Just found this....

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1193

Simple machines plugin that allows users to ignore entire boards or threads.  Couldn't get easier than that.  Of course that's a site wide change that the owners of this forum would have to implement.

Community > Devs
ncr1pt0r

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 03:37:40 AM

censorship , really? this had to be a joke, lol
ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

HODL for life.

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:43:14 AM

Did you read any of this thread, or did you just chime in for your 14th post?

This isn't about censorship.  It's about cleaning up the spam.  I don't even care at this point if the forum mods don't want to work towards cleaning up the crap.  However, now that I know it's possible for a member to ignore entire threads, I don't see why this shouldn't be an option for those of us who want to get past the endless pages of spammy crapcoin BS.

Community > Devs
heartofalion

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:45:13 AM

I seriously laughed pretty hard at vaginacoin
justabitoftime

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

CoinTropolis

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:04:28 AM

We're jammed into this little sub board and you think "crapcoin" announcements are the biggest issue?  We're trying to move from a 6 bedroom house into a 400 square foot apartment.

nzdude

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

STARCOIN the BEST

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:12:37 AM

then how will the trolls troll?

From what i can make out, the majority of people here are merely doing it for fun. ( i know i am)  earning $5 a day certinally isnt a way to get rich. and not everyone has 5mh power, so its pointless to bother mining anything with a high difficulty, LTC etc.

So bring on more new coins, at least we can solomine them, and think we are earning lots Grin

Mazakguy

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:49:13 AM

Maybe some of us like the new coins. Who are you to tell me what I like.

Maybe you should just stay out of the part of the board and you wont't get butthurt, lol
ncr1pt0r

Activity: 44

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 06:00:30 AM

Did you read any of this thread, or did you just chime in for your 14th post?

This isn't about censorship.  It's about cleaning up the spam.  I don't even care at this point if the forum mods don't want to work towards cleaning up the crap.  However, now that I know it's possible for a member to ignore entire threads, I don't see why this shouldn't be an option for those of us who want to get past the endless pages of spammy crapcoin BS.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/censor
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 6388

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:21:16 AM

My proposal:

- Only one thread per coin for new coins, to encourage building of an own community (forums etc.). Giveaways etc. should go in the own community or in the same thread.
- When they got moved to the "Minor" or "Major" sections in the Cryptocoin list or alternatively survive the first two months, more threads are permitted.
- No more "WTS" and "WTB" threads, these should go in the own community forums and in the now existing altcoin forums
- Ideas, technical and "philosophical" threads about possible new altcoins (like the actual "Netcoin / MC2" thread) should be permitted and encouraged.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
CaptChadd

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

Product Marketing & Promotion / Software Developer

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:37:53 AM

It would be a good thing for Developers to explain was is different about the new coin and even if the community will benefit or even need it.

If its just an exact clone of another coin then what is the point.

This could help to filter the new coin ideas and give us a new breed of innovation and as opposed to stagnation with new Cryptocoins.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: