Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:24:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: both gpu being recognized as device 0?  (Read 352 times)
kraukan (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 12:31:35 PM

OK. So, I have 2 gpus but both of them are recognized as device 0, miner program can figure out which graphics card use but in practice is the same thing to have both gpus attached for same slot and being recognized as single one, then program start using both gpus potential to mine their respective work. How to solve that? They are in different bus. One is bus 4 other is bus 1 but both are device 0. Miners give option to select by device not bus. My motherboard doesn't help neither, it is a ECS Z77H2-A3, it has a strange bios and awkward standard, it used to work pretty well, but due it's strange standards, if I remember correctly after bios reset this problem start happening. Already look everywhere on bios settings but nothing changed.

If someone could help, I'll be glad.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 04:01:56 AM

This may sound like a silly question, but do you have the cards setup to use SLI or Crossfire?
kraukan (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 04:11:46 AM

This may sound like a silly question, but do you have the cards setup to use SLI or Crossfire?
You could think this is strange and maybe it is, but I have an R9 390 and a 1080Ti Fe. I had the amd first but because of upgrade reasons I bought the new 1080Ti.
I start mining when Zcash had low dif and then I was willing for a upgrade, that's why I ended with two brands of cards before you ask.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 02:58:29 PM

You could think this is strange and maybe it is, but I have an R9 390 and a 1080Ti Fe. I had the amd first but because of upgrade reasons I bought the new 1080Ti.
I start mining when Zcash had low dif and then I was willing for a upgrade, that's why I ended with two brands of cards before you ask.

this is indeed weird, I haven't encounter nor read this type of problem before, have you tried installing and checking on GPU-Z, basically it does display your GPU's, what I am thinking is to use atiwinflash app for checking device info, this is for checking only and don't do flashing. if you have validated that it is indeed using a single device number, then I guess you have a faulty mb.

puwaha

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 06:20:10 PM

Which GPU is in the 16x slot?  If it's the R9 I would run DDU to remove all drivers, shutdown and then remove the 1080.  Then power on and install the AMD drivers first.  Then shutdown and install the 1080 again and install the nvidia drivers.
joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 06:34:49 PM

Your description is confusing, maybe a language issue. It seems you said the miner can distinguish between the
two cards, if so is there really a problem? If everything works properly maybe it's normal. I've never installed two cards
from different manufacturers so I'm just speculating.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
kraukan (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 07:24:49 PM

this is indeed weird, I haven't encounter nor read this type of problem before, have you tried installing and checking on GPU-Z, basically it does display your GPU's, what I am thinking is to use atiwinflash app for checking device info, this is for checking only and don't do flashing. if you have validated that it is indeed using a single device number, then I guess you have a faulty mb.

Sorry for delayed answer I passed through some trouble and had to put mining aside.
Check those pictures. This is the location windows map cards.
https://i.imgur.com/ZooSjMX.png
https://i.imgur.com/MdF427z.png
And this is my gpu-z screenshots.
https://i.imgur.com/oN7Tudn.gif
https://i.imgur.com/US1BtzE.gif
Which GPU is in the 16x slot?  If it's the R9 I would run DDU to remove all drivers, shutdown and then remove the 1080.  Then power on and install the AMD drivers first.  Then shutdown and install the 1080 again and install the nvidia drivers.
R9 is on X16 slot. I guess a windows reinstall would be the answer. Going to to it if nothing changes.
Your description is confusing, maybe a language issue. It seems you said the miner can distinguish between the
two cards, if so is there really a problem? If everything works properly maybe it's normal. I've never installed two cards
from different manufacturers so I'm just speculating.
Not a language issue. It is really confusing.
It seems you said the miner can distinguish between the two cards, if so is there really a problem?
It keeps using the same rail for both cards, this is what I'm trying to mean when it should use 1 rail for each card, x1 slot take x16 rail performance down when using both cards, so much that is even more profitable use one card only if mining.
kraukan (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 03:25:32 AM

I just confirmed using MSI afterburner. When I open miner program one gpu keeps settle doing nothing and if I open another instance, it starts using the same gpu that is on the master slot x16.

My gpu assign the same x16 address for x1 slots. That is the problem.
puwaha

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 05:49:46 PM

Did you try doing the DDU and driver reinstall procedure I mentioned above?  I don't think you'd have to go as far as an entire Windows reload.  Some other things to check would be if you have integrated graphics turned on or some combination mismatch of your PCIe slot settings in your BIOS.  And it might be a long shot but check to see if you one of those Vulkan software-layer SLI chips and the driver/software installed.
kraukan (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 07:18:25 PM

Did you try doing the DDU and driver reinstall procedure I mentioned above?  I don't think you'd have to go as far as an entire Windows reload.  Some other things to check would be if you have integrated graphics turned on or some combination mismatch of your PCIe slot settings in your BIOS.  And it might be a long shot but check to see if you one of those Vulkan software-layer SLI chips and the driver/software installed.
I just did the windows reload thing and nothing changed.
Let me give you an example with groestlcoin: ccminer is for nvidia only and sgminer for nvidia/amd. Before this problem start, I could mine with both normally. After this problem start if I open ccminer to start mining using nvidia and then open an instance of sgminer it starts using nvidia for the same work, when sgminer should choose amd for work hence I had the option to select the proper device to mine with but the amd card just settle doing nothing, it's like nvidia is on priority list(already tried swapping between motherboard slots).
And I can't choose between cards anymore since there is no gpu1, only gpu0.

Both cards are recognized as gpu0 and this is driving me nuts. I guess it is better to move for another motherboard. I did a BIOS update and I guess this broke capability to run more than a single gpu.

My integrated graphics is turned off. On bios I just let it automatically select which card is on master x16 slot, already tried swapping between PCI Express and PCIe x1 on bios but nothing changed. All drivers are installed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: