Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:53:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A day in the life of a Bitcoin Trader  (Read 878 times)
golfdoug (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2017, 06:27:44 PM

Define "Trader" for me, Please.
I am a newbie and have bought stocks for over 50 years.  I am excited to buy my first bitcoin, but the old school concept of buy and hold kicks in so where does the "Trade" part kick in?  Can you give me a step by step, "A day in the life of a Bitcoin Trader". ie - I set up an account with the Coinbase Exchange and then to stay in sync, I registered for a Coinbase wallet and then bought a Ledger Nano S for security and only then tentitively bought $50 worth of Bitcoin from a Bitcoin ATM machine at the Exxon Gas Station at the corner of Alpha and Beta in downtown Chicago.  I held up my iphone to the QR code on the screen and my Bitcoin software grabbed the encryption code ....  well you get the idea.  I need a step by step primer as to what the "Trader" does to Trade.  Thanks for reading. 

I posted this on another subject, so please excuse me if it is cross-posted.  D

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 08:09:43 PM

I am a newbie and have bought stocks for over 50 years.  I am excited to buy my first bitcoin, but the old school concept of buy and hold kicks in so where does the "Trade" part kick in?  Can you give me a step by step, "A day in the life of a Bitcoin Trader". ie - I set up an account with the Coinbase Exchange and then to stay in sync, I registered for a Coinbase wallet and then bought a Ledger Nano S for security and only then tentitively bought $50 worth of Bitcoin from a Bitcoin ATM machine at the Exxon Gas Station at the corner of Alpha and Beta in downtown Chicago.  I held up my iphone to the QR code on the screen and my Bitcoin software grabbed the encryption code ....  well you get the idea.  I need a step by step primer as to what the "Trader" does to Trade.  Thanks for reading. 

What exactly do you mean?

Cryptotrading is like any other stock, but much more volatile.

You are already speculating on bitcoin, but to start trading you will need to move your BTC to an exchange such as bittrex.com , and then buy into another altcoin of which you think will be worth more.

I still think buy and hold is the best option, even in crypto, but because it is much more volatile, people start to daytrade eg, rapidly selling coins. I guess that is what you mean by "trading" / trader. I personally think it is pretty much a meme. You need to know what you're doing otherwise you're going to fail miserably at it.

philakone

Activity: 266
Merit: 266

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 08:17:51 PM

Check out this post.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2221007.msg22416951#msg22416951
markymarkusa1

Activity: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 08:19:40 PM

I'm sure it can be very stressful to become a bitcoin trader, especially with the huge fluctuation in price.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10227

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 08:24:31 PM

Yeah.. your framing of this issue is quite broad and vague...   There are a lot of ways that bitcoin holders trade, yet some holders are reluctant to sell any of their bitcoin so they just buy and accumulate and buy on dips and replace any that they sell.

So you could establish any systematic way of doing a kind of trading, and it does not need to be daily - for example, in my recent formulation, I am selling about 1.6% of my bitcoins for every 10% that BTC prices go up and I am doing it in $100 increments and buying back with a similar formula...   Such formula can be tweaked in terms of percentages and also in terms of increments.. also it can be tweaked if you are more inclined towards accumulating more bitcoin or selling more bitcoin to accumulate cash.

When I started, my amounts were smaller and also my increments were smaller because I was trying to practice a lot; however, with the passage of time, I have increased my increments .. my percentages have remained somewhat similar except sometimes I might make some extra play and then have to attempt to reallocate over time to get back in balance...   

So you can make it as you will. 

To me it seems that most folks trade in a such a way that is gambling too large amounts to bet in one direction or another, and I tend to advocate against those kinds of approaches .. and assertions that you are going to outsmart the market...

One of the biggest certainties about bitcoin is its volatility, and for that reason, you can build in a kind of trading that allows you to profit from such volatility, continue to accumulate with perhaps dollar cost averaging investing and without getting greedy.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Aamir1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 08:32:15 PM

Do you know, that "the old school way of buy and hold" is the way that fills the accounts of people with a lot of profit that people like me and you cannot think of because our budget is not enough to buy bitcoins that can generate good profit for us. People buy bitcoins, and hold them for a while, and when the price is up, they sell them, and all they get from this is pure profit and that is exactly how Bitcoin Trading works. You buy, then hold, and then sell, that's all.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 09:01:10 PM

Check out this post.

Your description of trading differs from mine in that you use the charts to time the market - and I engage in automatic trades as the price goes up, I sell and as the price goes down I buy.  It appears that your system could make me more money (perhaps?), but for some reason, I cannot bring myself to increase or decrease my BTC trading amounts or my trade/price increments based on those kinds of chart indicators...   Sure, it could be my familiarity and comfort, and yeah your description of the RSI seems pretty decently indicative of changes in likelihoods.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Granxis

Activity: 1400
Merit: 536

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 10:20:26 PM

I give myself a sample. it really gets very tiring. Particularly short-term trade leads me to make a lot of effort, and I made too many mistakes, so I could not think well. I put a limit of 6 hours a day.

.Duelbits.
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
..DICE...
███████████████████████████████
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
.MINES.
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
█████                ██████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
.PLINKO.
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
NEARLY UP TO
.50%. REWARDS
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
Jovovich

Activity: 316
Merit: 110

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 06:17:45 AM

Check out this post.

Your description of trading differs from mine in that you use the charts to time the market - and I engage in automatic trades as the price goes up, I sell and as the price goes down I buy.  It appears that your system could make me more money (perhaps?), but for some reason, I cannot bring myself to increase or decrease my BTC trading amounts or my trade/price increments based on those kinds of chart indicators...   Sure, it could be my familiarity and comfort, and yeah your description of the RSI seems pretty decently indicative of changes in likelihoods.

For being a trader is like an escrow man or a third party. You acquire goods to someone at low price and sell it to someone at higher price. Except there are no someone and it is just the price that is being manipulated and i waiting for the right time to sell the coin i have bought for a fair price.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 07:30:28 AM

Check out this post.

For being a trader is like an escrow man or a third party. You acquire goods to someone at low price and sell it to someone at higher price. Except there are no someone and it is just the price that is being manipulated and i waiting for the right time to sell the coin i have bought for a fair price.

I would phrase it a little bit differently because you are kind of suggesting that you have some kind of insight about fair price before fair price rises, yet I don't think about it that way because in time 1, bitcoin fair price might be x and at that price you buy some bitcoin; however, in time 2 bitcoin's price is x + $100, and you sell the bitcoin that you bought with profits.  You might attempt creating your orders in such a way that you do not care if the price goes up or the price goes down.  If the price goes to x - $100 then you buy some more BTC.  You let the price come to you and you don't get excited about whichever direction that it goes because your orders just execute one direction or another and you tweak your plan from time to time if your goals change a little bit or if you have some changes in your sentiment.. but that change is not 100% it is just making incremental changes, like changing your increments to $150 (or $200)  (when you are learning you might have your increments a little closer together just to practice but you gotta have it enough to cover the trading fees, too) or changing your quantities and hopefully stacking your orders in such a way that you are able to automatically buy even if the price drops 50% or automatically sell even if the price goes up 50%.

CryptoNewKey

Activity: 36

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 02:19:43 PM

Do traders predict and bet what they think of how prices go or are unaffected/non-personal opinion based decisions?
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2017, 03:15:48 PM

Think of Bitcoin as essentially a VERY volatile stock and you will will understand what it means to be in this space. Yet, BTC is SOOOO much more.

arpon11

Activity: 882
Merit: 282

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 03:47:52 PM

Though trading bitcoin is not much different from the conventional stock trading but if you what to day trading then you have to learn how it works from cryptocoin trading platforms like bittrex and novaexchange. I will advise you to study careful what people are saying at the toll box as most of the new and trending information are discuss there. Then from there you can transfer some of you bitcoin to exchangers platforms and start trading.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 06:12:45 PM

Think of Bitcoin as essentially a VERY volatile stock and you will will understand what it means to be in this space. Yet, BTC is SOOOO much more.

There may be some need to emphasize the "SOOOO much more" part of your statement - so yeah, agree that extremely volatile; however, we cannot really consider bitcoin as exactly any other asset class (except perhaps closer analogies to some of the other cryptos), but part of my point is that bitcoin is not very likely to be mature in its own right.. so we have to consider s-curve adoption, exponential growth, metcalfe networking principles, etc. 

So, even if we are not exactly locked in to any kind of exact model, we can see developments in the space that show that adoption and development is likely increasing and likely to reinforce theory that s-curve will play out...

On the other side, we have various anti-bitcoin battles both from without and appearing to be from within, which cause price manipulation dynamics.. and even sabotage attacks, threats and various unprecedented attempts at attack mechanisms (for example, multiple hardforks, attempts to divert and manipulate mining and spreading of FUD). 

So in the end, the most likely thing that you do happen to have is ongoing volatility rather than predictability - especially shorter term... so we may continue to have inklings that bitcoin will be continuing up, continuing up, continuing up.. however, it is also possible that such confidence can be widdled away or even shattered by another 3 years of bear market (maybe maybe not) and even skittishness that is caused by BIG money with seemingly endless abilities to short and to dump upon bitcoin.  Might work, but might not.   Wink  So we can still profit and trade, and protect our investment through trading by taking advantage of one of the most likely known factors in bitcoin - ongoing volatility.

no0dlepunk

Activity: 490
Merit: 258

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 06:13:08 PM

I am a newbie and have bought stocks for over 50 years.
Man, you must be old! ha ha ha! Anyway, the major difference between cryptocurrency and stock market is the government. Everything else is the same. Think about it this way - Ethereum is "McDonalds", Litecoin is "Apple Inc", Ripple is "IBM", and Bitcoin is "US Dollars" - and then Poloniex is "Nasdaq". So just like the good old days, you would pick a stock of your choice and then keep it on your portfolio, wait for the price to climb up, and then sell... and then wait for the price to pull down a little bit and then buy back. You see it is not very much different from the stock market, is it? - Though stocks and exchanges are regulated by the SEC; cryptocurrency on the other hand, is a punk - nobody regulates it. Verily, the only risk for you grandpa, is once those exchanges decide to go out of business, your coins go out of business too.
harizen
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1398

For support ➡️ help.bc.game

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 06:33:26 PM

Try to answer it by yourself along the way and see how it goes? Smiley

Transfer your bitcoin to the real trading platform where you can see the real actions. If you trade on Coinbase, you are trading against their wallet and not on a trader itself. Build experience and set your goals. While progressing, soon your questions, not just your concern today, will have clearer answer because of your experiences.

█████████████████████████
████▐██▄█████████████████
████▐██████▄▄▄███████████
████▐████▄█████▄▄████████
████▐█████▀▀▀▀▀███▄██████
████▐███▀████████████████
████▐█████████▄█████▌████
████▐██▌█████▀██████▌████
████▐██████████▀████▌████
█████▀███▄█████▄███▀█████
███████▀█████████▀███████
██████████▀███▀██████████
█████████████████████████
BC.GAME
▄▄░░░▄▀▀▄████████
▄▄▄
██████████████
█████░░▄▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄██████▄▄▄▄████
▄███▄█▄▄██████████▄████▄████
███████████████████████████▀███
▀████▄██▄██▄░░░░▄████████████
▀▀▀█████▄▄▄███████████▀██
███████████████████▀██
███████████████████▄██
▄███████████████████▄██
█████████████████████▀██
██████████████████████▄
..CASINO....SPORTS....LOTTERY..
█░░░░░░█░░░░░░█
▀███▀░░▀███▀░░▀███▀
▀░▀░░░░▀░▀░░░░▀░▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░█░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
░█░██░░███░░░█░██
░█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀

▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀███▄
██████████
▀███▄░▄██▀
▄▄████▄▄░▀█▀▄██▀▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀▀████▄▄██▀▄███▀▀███▄
███████▄▄▀▀████▄▄▀▀███████
▀███▄▄███▀░░░▀▀████▄▄▄███▀
▀▀████▀▀████████▀▀████▀▀
Potato Chips

Activity: 2758
Merit: 894

yesssir! 🫡

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 07:44:41 PM

Just like what the trade means, a trader buy and sells a certain something to gain profit. in my case i am a cryptocoins trader. if you're trading stocks then it'll be much more easier to understand as they are really a like, its just that cryptocurrencies particularly altcoins are much volatile to compared to them. there are much more detailed articles all over the net which you can just search but i'll give you an overview of things.

1. you have to create a exchange account, my recommended site is bittrex
2. you have to transfer your bitcoins to your wallet on bittrex
3. plan out everything e.g. which coin to get, trading strategies etc.
4. start trading e.g. pick a coin, create a buy order

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
PancherBitCoin

Activity: 812
Merit: 317

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 07:52:08 PM

Just like what the trade means, a trader buy and sells a certain something to gain profit. in my case i am a cryptocoins trader. if you're trading stocks then it'll be much more easier to understand as they are really a like, its just that cryptocurrencies particularly altcoins are much volatile to compared to them. there are much more detailed articles all over the net which you can just search but i'll give you an overview of things.

1. you have to create a exchange account, my recommended site is bittrex
2. you have to transfer your bitcoins to your wallet on bittrex
3. plan out everything e.g. which coin to get, trading strategies etc.
4. start trading e.g. pick a coin, create a buy order

The fact is that before making orders, you need to learn you can learn information about the most popular coins and about their price courses for a long time. so you can calculate that moment and study the process itself. When you can make money on the difference in the price of these coins.
rodalutor

Activity: 364
Merit: 105

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 08:04:25 PM

A typical day for me if I am trading starts with checking the markets that I'm following closely, then seeing if there is anything I would like to buy or sell at that time. I then follow the markets throughout the day whilst trying to get up to date on any news.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
deadsilent

Activity: 1148
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 08:35:09 PM

Trader is a person who buy and sell goods, stock or even currencies. And by the way you are doing i think it's more like a hoarder than a trader. But you're still a trader though because you buy bitcoin and wait for it to accumulate much value than the value when you buy it. But other traders not just relying on bitcoin. They buy other altcoins to maximize their income in a fast way. Coinbase is a good one. But you need a little more exploration. Coinbase doesn't list all good coins in the market. You have to find them at other market or exchange to buy and sell them at higher price and able to get some profits.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: