Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:38:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOs for US investors  (Read 603 times)
sv624 (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 01:51:10 AM

Hi,
Are there any ICOs open to non-accredited US investors?
How do I find them or is there a list?
Thanks in advance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hyperme.sh

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 03:00:48 AM

Hi,
Thanks in advance

That would not be legal, even if it is available unless those are registered offerings.

I am planning a registered offering for shares (not tokens) but it is not available yet, and details will only be on a legal crowd equity funding platform when it is ready.

Those shares will have the potential to earn dividends and possibly be traded on secondary markets, but the details again can only be given in a prospectus on a legit crowd equity funding platform when it is ready.
happyhours

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2017, 03:57:53 AM

Hi,
Thanks in advance

UnikoinGold ICO i Believe is open to US Investors. The Company is already established and is licensed and fully regulated. However it is not open to countries like North Korea, Iran and i think China (Because of ICO Ban).
You can read it in their FAQ https://unikoingold.com/faq

feelideb

Activity: 770

fLibero.financial

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 04:13:27 AM

Hi,
Thanks in advance

UnikoinGold ICO i Believe is open to US Investors. The Company is already established and is licensed and fully regulated. However it is not open to countries like North Korea, Iran and i think China (Because of ICO Ban).

So you think FAQ is a legit document? You can say whatever you like even in FAQ or any public statement or whitepaper , It will still mean nothing. You can however be trusted if your papers are coming from regulatory body with their approval!

arikassuja

Activity: 535
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 04:17:23 AM

are not US people prohibited to invest in ICO? and most ICOs now do not give US citizens to invest even though the US is a rich country
happyhours

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2017, 04:32:00 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2017, 05:24:25 AM by happyhours

So you think FAQ is a legit document? You can say whatever you like even in FAQ or any public statement or whitepaper , It will still mean nothing. You can however be trusted if your papers are coming from regulatory body with their approval!

I was merely answering OPs question. I am not in anyway related with Unikrn. Anyway I am not from the United States, what regulatory body are you referring too that we should trust? Is there a regulatory body that grants permission to conduct ICOs?

RoosterRed

Activity: 64

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2017, 04:34:22 AM

Hi,
Thanks in advance

It is very difficult to find any good information on this ICO, which is concerning. It could be a great deal, but things don't look good for a number of reasons.

https://steemit.com/unikoingold/@roosterred/unikoingold-impossible-for-me-to-analyze

Hannahanto

Activity: 826
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 04:59:48 AM

Hi,
Thanks in advance

Thank you happyhours for the info. where we really can find the list of ICOs accept and don't accept US Citizens or any other country citizens? Are there any other specific terms on any thing like this? Would be happy to get the details. Please any one can assist?
Tulen1990

Activity: 222
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 02:41:20 AM

For me it's just reading up and word of mouth through groups and forums.

I saw one just the other day called UnikoinGold that is open to US residents. Their platform is for esports betting and tournaments and their ICO is a EC20 token. I read that they want to become the universal token in esports. What a vision. And with all of their powerful investors, I'm sure it will succeed. There's no harm in pouring in a couple of ETH. I threw in 425 ETH.
keung0109

Activity: 164

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 01:42:21 AM

In case anyone's wondering why ICO's are illegal in certain countries: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/05/how-icos-setting-the-vc-world-ablaze-work.html
RoosterRed

Activity: 64

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2017, 02:18:13 AM

I think this could truly help the situation: https://steemit.com/ico/@roosterred/a-fair-ico-model-roosterred-s-uncapped-blind-ico-auctions

It is an ICO scheme that guarantees all participants are fairly treated and the company still gets to maximize revenue. Please spread it.

led_lcd

Activity: 262

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 03:32:19 AM

Look for an ICO that is not flying under the radar and has a proper legal opinion whether the token is a security under the SEC.

I'm not aware of a particular list. I'm an advisor on Gaze Coin and they have a legal opinion from a well known lawyer (Gary Ross) that GazeCoin is not a security.

If a token is not a security under the SEC, non-accredited US investors may purchase the token.
omnik

Activity: 569

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 03:45:34 AM

ICO's listing available widely online. ICOAlert.com would be the best place to start
Op is not looking for the icosite but just try to search the ico that already followed the sec compliance, i just think about some icos already folloowed the sec compliance such as arttoken and use investors can participate in the crowdsale.
Hyperme.sh

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 03:49:14 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2017, 05:46:17 AM by Hyperme.sh

I'm not aware of a particular list. I'm an advisor on Gaze Coin and they have a legal opinion from a well known lawyer (Gary Ross) that GazeCoin is not a security.

Can you please direct me to his logic? Any link you can provide?

Ty.

EDIT: found this:

Gary Ross
Legal Counsel
Gary is a partner at Ross & Shulga PLLC, and, through longtime clients Steemit
and InvestFeed, has spent several years at the forefront of cryptocurrency.
Gary focuses his practice on securities law, venture capital/private equity and
corporate governance. An adjunct professor at Seton Hall Law School, Gary
has extensive experience advising SEC- registered and exempt capital markets
transactions. He has contributed his expertise to features in The New York
Times, MarketWatch, Associated Press and Corporate Counsel magazine and
holds a JD from Northwestern University and BBA from University of Miami.

So he advised that premediated Steem sneakymine obfuscation of security issuance? Oh my.

Unfortunately there is no legal reasoning there. Ostensibly he is arguing it is an app utility token, but I do not agree. That does not remove the investors’ profit expectations which depend on the efforts of the common enterprise where the raised funds are pooled.

He is a former US Treasury official, so the only thing I can think is that our government has become so corrupt that leniency from the SEC is for sale by buying off those who are connected. IOW, you arrange to give them tokens so they look the other way.

Mind boggling level of corruption if true!

Cryptocurrency
Home » Expertise » Cryptocurrency

The attorneys at Ross & Shulga have been on the forefront of the digital currency industry for several years.  Long-time clients such as Steemit (one of the co-founders of which went on to found EOS, which has raised more than $185 million so far in its ongoing ICO) and InvestFeed have gone on to become major players in the cryptocurrency space, and have taken Ross & Shulga right along with it.  In 2017, we represented investors in both the Filecoin pre-sale and its ICO, which has been the most successful ICO of 2017.  We were among the very first law firms to review (and comment upon) the Simple Agreement for Future Tokens.

We are adept at advising clients as to the current financial and regulatory environment, including as to key issues such as why a certain token or other digital asset should or should not be considered a security, which jurisdiction a cryptocurrency company should incorporate in and why, and how ICOs are different from IPOs.

Integrity Is Not For Sale
Lawyers who lack integrity are never going to be worth as much as lawyers who stand steadfast to their morals.

By Gary J. Ross

This has been on my mind a lot lately in re the cryptocurrency space. In case you haven’t heard, it has been a booming year for ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings, which are like IPOs but digital assets — generally referred to as “tokens” — are sold instead of stocks). The majority of the companies that wish to do an ICO want someone like me to write them a legal opinion that their token is not a security, and thus do not require a long and expensive registration process. They are willing to pay top dollar for this opinion. They don’t really want to be told no, and they aren’t particularly interested in why their particular token may in fact be a security. They just want the opinion.

But once you lose your integrity, it’s hard to get it back. If I wanted to, I could probably churn out these opinion letters at $20K or so a pop. But for how long? Right now an opinion letter from me is worth something because I’ve only given it on the few occasions in which, after much due diligence and analysis, I’ve concluded the token is not in fact a security. Maybe I could get away with churning these things out indiscriminately for a month or so, but pretty soon it would become known that I’m an opinion mill, and then opinions from me would be worth less and less, and eventually they would be worth nothing at all.

I presume perhaps there is a legal loophole for him. Notice the keyword is “opinion”.

He can give a reasoned legal opinion, then end up being overturned, but probably walk away a very rich man because he is charging fees. The fees probably do not get clawed back. He probably does not get in trouble as long as his opinion was just an opinion and not a guarantee.

Very clever the way these attorneys play the game.

Apparently he is preparing to blog on the subject matter:

The growth in cryptocurrencies begs the questions regarding security, rules and regulations, and ultimately how to utilize the blockchain and cryptocurrencies in other sectors or the financial industry. The following posts in this series will cover these issues and more in depth.

EDIT#2: He is using the “no profits” logic combined with the app utility token:

For example, if people are buying tokens released by a certain company, such as a non-profit, and for some reason the token-buyers do not have any expectation of profits, then the situation starts looking much more like donation crowdfunding, which is fine and doesn’t violate any securities laws (though you’re still not allowed to perpetuate a fraud)

That is not correct! He is wrong!

But I already quoted jurisprudence which refutes that.

The SEC wrote on page 11 of their DAO report:

“[P]rofits” include “dividends, other periodic payments, or the increased value of the investment.” Edwards, 540 U.S. at 394.

Disclaimer: IANAL. This is my n00b ramblings, not a legal advice.

EDIT#3: I think I distilled down to his logic by studying the InvestFeed prospectus:

FEED is not a cryptocurrency. At the time of this writing, (i) with the exception of being used to place ads on the investFeed platform, IFT cannot be exchanged for goods or services, (ii) IFT has no known uses outside the investFeed application, and (iii)
IFT cannot be traded on any known exchanges.

I argue that is not sufficient. Of course the investors are investing because of their profit expectation that the tokens will someday be tradeable. Investors understand that there is usually a way to game the system to employ features of the system to trade the tokens.
limmousine

Activity: 546
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 04:53:50 AM

Hi,
Thanks in advance
I read there is a project coming from US, rootproject. Now ico is live, maybe you can join to ico him. This is the project site https://www.rootproject.co
Good luck
zee123

Activity: 420
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2017, 11:46:27 PM

Hi,
Thanks in advance

You can probably participate in non-whitelisted ICO's, best thing is to ask.

▃▄▅▆▇ POTENTIAM -  The Rewarding Music Ecosystem ▇▆▅▄▃
▂▃▅▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆ PRE ICO LIVE NOW   ▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▅▃▂
Whitepaper | ANN | Bounty | Telegram | Twitter | Website
gutshot5820

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 08:54:39 PM

Hi,
Thanks in advance

Saw that they got their malta license and expanded into most of europe. https://www.coindesk.com/regulated-cryptocurrency-betting-just-got-big-boost-europe/
Blake_Last

Activity: 518
Merit: 278

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 01:44:07 AM

I do not know if this is true, but according to Digi Token, their tokens are available for US contributors. Here's their tweet confirming that.

daggny_taggart

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 04:57:29 PM

Most of teh tokens are available to US contributors, I would not use the word "investors"
cryptoassistent

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 11:53:56 AM

Hi!
EU citizen participating in ICOs.
Get in touch on cryptoassistent@gmail.com or https://t.me/cryptolighter
and I`ll help you.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: