Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:22:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining water heater (large scale)  (Read 577 times)
dordi1234 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 11:52:18 AM

Hi there

In the past some ideas have surfaced regarding using bitcoin miners as water heaters. I've searched the forum, as well as on google looking for someone who has a water heating product but I am yet to find the correct product. So I'm looking for recommendations in the forums. Is there anyone here that is experimenting with a water heater, immersion or other type, or knows of a company doing so?

We have gotten a big stream of cold water (around 4°C) and a buyer for the water at a higher temperature. Electricity price is also competitive in the region. We are looking at a rather large scale operation, 1MW+.  In theory  the miners should use less energy per hash due to lower cooling costs, and be able to sell the hot water as a secondary form of revenue. This should increase the profits significantly.

If anyone is doing something similar, please let us know.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smokeydog

Activity: 96
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 02:19:24 PM

Look into a heat pump system to transfer the heat energy in the air to a large water tank.  While the water won't get hot enough for basic hot water needs, it can be used for space heating.
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2017, 03:10:31 PM

Look into a heat pump system to transfer the heat energy in the air to a large water tank.  While the water won't get hot enough for basic hot water needs, it can be used for space heating.
A heat pump can very easily heat the water hot enough to shower with. In fact, I built one that easily goes to 140F with off the shelf components.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 01:02:00 AM

Hi there

In the past some ideas have surfaced regarding using bitcoin miners as water heaters. I've searched the forum, as well as on google looking for someone who has a water heating product but I am yet to find the correct product. So I'm looking for recommendations in the forums. Is there anyone here that is experimenting with a water heater, immersion or other type, or knows of a company doing so?

We have gotten a big stream of cold water (around 4°C) and a buyer for the water at a higher temperature. Electricity price is also competitive in the region. We are looking at a rather large scale operation, 1MW+.  In theory  the miners should use less energy per hash due to lower cooling costs, and be able to sell the hot water as a secondary form of revenue. This should increase the profits significantly.

If anyone is doing something similar, please let us know.
I take it you have never looked at the offerings from Bitfury?
They specialty is immersion cooled multi-PH containerized miners. An operation the size you are taking about should get their interest...

Typically they use data tanks filled with Novec which in turn is water cooled by an outdoor dry heat exchanger system. Since you would use water-to-water final heat exchangers -- even easier plus of course you get to charge for that now-warm water vs just heating the local area. I believe the power for one running 7.5PH is around 110kw which of course is directly transformed into 375,669.7BTU/hr of heat.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Flep182
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 10:50:13 AM

This ones based on Bitfury 55 nm chips: http://en.hotmine.io/heater-miner

Could probably have a look at their design, and then enlarge the idea to use it for a larger "stream" Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: