Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 10:42:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sapphire 7990 Extremely Hot Running CGminer - Need Suggestions  (Read 6050 times)
arucs (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:56:01 PM

I bought a 7990 the temps are slightly higher than the reviews I've read. It's idling at  50c. In games under full load it seems to run normal temps around 83c. When I run CGMiner it shoots through the roof to +100c before I shut it down. I've tried lowering -I to 4 and even down clocked the gpu to 550mhz from 1000mhz and ram down to 200mhz still shoots up really high. Is there a configuration in CGMiner that might help or any other suggestions?

I have a gaming case, I'm going to beef up the fans but my 7970 never had a heat issue.
Kaepora

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:58:02 PM

I bought a 7990 the temps are slightly higher than the reviews I've read. It's idling at  50c. In games under full load it seems to run normal temps around 83c. When I run CGMiner it shoots through the roof to +100c before I shut it down. I've tried lowering -I to 4 and even down clocked the gpu to 550mhz from 1000mhz and ram down to 200mhz still shoots up really high. Is there a configuration in CGMiner that might help or any other suggestions?

I have a gaming case, I'm going to beef up the fans but my 7970 never had a heat issue.

How many fans do you have actually pushing air into the case? What case is it? Whats the ambient temperature?
Maybe just try leaving the side of the case open and see if that helps
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 05:06:43 PM

I've noticed that Cgminer runs the gpus a bit warmer aswell. Mainly the VRMs.

Guiminer and Reaper don't have this problem.

Are the gpu volts reported by Cgminer correct ?

arucs (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:11:42 PM

Corsair 400R it has 2 fans pushing air from the front and one exhausting out the back. I'm going to add 2 140mm to the top to exhaust and 2 to the side to push air over the GPU. I had the manual fan control set to 100% on the card. My 7970 I was using previously never went passed 71c and I had it overclocked to 1070mhz.

Ambient temp is around 75f.

arucs (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:13:18 PM

I've noticed that Cgminer runs the gpus a bit warmer aswell. Mainly the VRMs.

Guiminer and Reaper don't have this problem.

Are the gpu volts reported by Cgminer correct ?

Where does cgminer report the volts? I wasn't aware it does that.
fflewddur

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:30:53 PM

Have you tried undervolting the card? I don't have a 7990, but I've got a dedicated miner running four 7970s and the only way to make that work at reasonable temperatures was to undervolt each card down to about 1030 mV (stock was somewhere around 1125 mV).

Power is exponentially related to voltage (P = V^2/R), so small reductions in voltage yield large decreases in power, which translates to large decreases in heat. Hope you get it down to a reasonable temperature!

(And you can see cgminer's view of a card's voltage by pressing the 'g' key. I only have 7950s and 7970s, and it reports inaccurate voltages with both; better to stick with GPU-Z.)
fflewddur

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:38:07 PM

Corsair 400R it has 2 fans pushing air from the front and one exhausting out the back. I'm going to add 2 140mm to the top to exhaust and 2 to the side to push air over the GPU. I had the manual fan control set to 100% on the card. My 7970 I was using previously never went passed 71c and I had it overclocked to 1070mhz.

Ambient temp is around 75f.

I have this same case and played around with all of those fan positions--personally, I had the best combination of temperature and noise with the stock front fans running at 100%, a 140mm rear exhaust fan running at 100%, and a 140mm side intake fan (lower slot) running at 50%.

That fan setup is doing two things. First, you have more intakes than exhausts, so you have slightly higher air pressure in the case than outside it; this should help keep warm air exhausted by the GPU from being sucked back into the case (that 400R has air vents *everywhere*). Second, most of the air is coming from the bottom front--where it's coldest--and moving up and over the GPUs, CPU, and then out the back. The side intake is just there to keep pockets of stale air from forming over the GPUs, though if you only have one card, maybe running it at 100% will help. With multiple GPUs, I found a high-speed side intake would help cool off one GPU at the expense of all the others, probably because it was disrupting the airflow from the front intakes.
arucs (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:39:32 PM

GPUZ reports 1.200V

I'm just really confused by 86c max just now playing Crysis 3 @ 1000mhz cores 1500mhz mem clock

But cgminer shoots up to 100c+ ar 550 cores 200 mhz mem clock
fflewddur

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:50:04 PM

Yeah, mining places a *much* higher load on your GPU than any game will. You're quite literally using 100% of the card's processing power (assuming your intensity is north of 6 in cgminer). Benchmarking sites have taken to using bitcoin mining as their GPU torture test to see how loud/hot cards get under extreme conditions.

I'd start with stock core clock, drop your mem clock to 150 Mhz below core, and then lower the card's voltage in Trixx or Afterburner by 10 mV at a time until it crashes (make sure you're mining while decreasing the voltage). Then go about 10 mV higher and you've got your minimum voltage. Use GPU-Z to verify that the core and mem clocks really are what you think they are (e.g., setting the mem clock to 300 Mhz in Trixx doesn't work on 79xx cards, but Trixx won't tell you that; GPU-Z does).

Before screwing with the card's voltage, make sure Trixx isn't set to restore your clocks upon reboot. Otherwise you can get into a loop of endless rebooting :/
horosho

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:00:29 AM

i am using GUIminer with my 7990 and keep getting a "problem communicating" error every 3-5 minutes interval.  Anyone know why and how to fix it please let me know.....my hashrate drops from 500GH/s to 100KH/s when this happens....
Cheetahx

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

www.fastcoin.ca

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 05:10:25 AM

I bought a 7990 the temps are slightly higher than the reviews I've read. It's idling at  50c. In games under full load it seems to run normal temps around 83c. When I run CGMiner it shoots through the roof to +100c before I shut it down. I've tried lowering -I to 4 and even down clocked the gpu to 550mhz from 1000mhz and ram down to 200mhz still shoots up really high. Is there a configuration in CGMiner that might help or any other suggestions?

Hi Arucs,

You can try running a low intensive script miner Coin like FastCoin, you can download it here...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-lUxAN4BdWcYnpuYlo2RmFrd2s/edit?usp=sharing

Download the wallet and see if you get the same results.

Currently it is less resource intensive then mining for BitCoin and Litecoin at the moment.  You might want to turn up the fans to 100% before you start mining as well.  

The other possibility is that the fan's aren't running fast enough, you might have a defective card, I would return it and swap it out for a new one.

If you want to learn more about FastCoin click here...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237703.0

Good luck with the card, hope this helps you out...

Fastest fairly released Crypto

FST: feH4MSdmG42be3dzjYgXKtnKDEYcKNUKkB     BTC: 1CMeKdFQYnYLpjTd7k7UGkgK6L4TSJFNNR 

www.fastcoin.ca
www.fastcointalk.org
Runescape

Activity: 31

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:10:48 AM

This is a great idea!
lazydna

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:16:43 AM

Hi Arucs,

You can try running a low intensive script miner Coin like FastCoin, you can download it here...

Currently it is less resource intensive then mining for BitCoin and Litecoin at the moment.  You might want to turn up the fans to 100% before you start mining as well.  

The other possibility is that the fan's aren't running fast enough, you might have a defective card, I would return it and swap it out for a new one.

wow, really? your going to plug your shit coin into this thread?
he's hashing scrypt, it doesn't matter if he was mining litecoin or your shitcoin.

OP if you got problems with temperatures, either open your case for better ventilation, install extra fans, or flash your bios and undervolt.

Litecoins

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:21:29 AM

Nice wish I had this rig..
Cheetahx

www.fastcoin.ca

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 05:24:56 AM

Hi Arucs,

he's hashing scrypt, it doesn't matter if he was mining litecoin or your shitcoin.

OP if you got problems with temperatures, either open your case for better ventilation, install extra fans, or flash your bios and undervolt.

lazydna,

Please tell me why you talk badly about FastCoin?  If you have an alternative coin to suggest I would love to hear about it?  It's not my intention to talk negatively about any coin and I would appreciate it if you could substantiate your position with some facts if you have any?  Or perhaps you might be able to talk more positively about other coin's before slamming the FastCoin.  Did you have a bad experience with this coin?  Please do tell...

Peace.

FST: feH4MSdmG42be3dzjYgXKtnKDEYcKNUKkB     BTC: 1CMeKdFQYnYLpjTd7k7UGkgK6L4TSJFNNR 

www.fastcoin.ca
www.fastcointalk.org
horosho

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:28:57 AM

i am using GUIminer with my 7990 and keep getting a "problem communicating" error every 3-5 minutes interval.  Anyone know why and how to fix it please let me know.....my hashrate drops from 500GH/s to 100KH/s when this happens....
Cheetahx

www.fastcoin.ca

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 05:32:43 AM

i am using GUIminer with my 7990 and keep getting a "problem communicating" error every 3-5 minutes interval.  Anyone know why and how to fix it please let me know.....my hashrate drops from 500GH/s to 100KH/s when this happens....

horosho

Try CGminer instead, and check the intensity level.

You can download cgminer here...

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/

The latest version 3.2.2 was released just a few days ago...

Let me know if that helps...

www.fastcoin.ca
www.fastcointalk.org
lazydna

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:36:16 AM

Hi Arucs,

lazydna,

Please tell me why you talk badly about FastCoin?  If you have an alternative coin to suggest I would love to hear about it?  It's not my intention to talk negatively about any coin and I would appreciate it if you could substantiate your position with some facts if you have any?  Or perhaps you might be able to talk more positively about other coin's before slamming the FastCoin.  Did you have a bad experience with this coin?  Please do tell...

Peace.

no because it's quite obvious you're a shill for the copy-pasta-get-rich-quick-clone-coins and your trying to get as many uninformed newbies into mining your coin so you can eventually dump it at an exchange. this isn't even the place to discuss this, stick to the thread topic.

Cheetahx

www.fastcoin.ca

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 05:42:32 AM

Hi Arucs,

lazydna,

Peace.

no because it's quite obvious you're a shill for the copy-pasta-get-rich-quick-clone-coins and your trying to get as many uninformed newbies into mining your coin so you can eventually dump it at an exchange. this isn't even the place to discuss this, stick to the thread topic.

Wow that's quite an accusation!  Your right, this is not the place for this discussion, but I can assure you I am not a pump and dump shill.  True I am currently passionate about the FastCoin, but I think it is premature to make this type of accusation.  What Script base coin would you suggest to mine, do you believe that BitCoin and LiteCoin are the only viable options at this point?

www.fastcoin.ca
www.fastcointalk.org
Lothy

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:47:49 AM

As far as i can tell he was just helping

I used BBQcoin to get an understanding of how linux and solo mining worked. Its not a bad idea finding a young alt coin to solo mine, that way u can see what its like to find blocks urself and how to handle transactions between wallets before goin to a high end coin.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: