Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:45:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [IDEA] bitcoin supported distributed file store  (Read 1202 times)
smell (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 05:21:59 AM

Dropbox pissed me off the other day, so I happened to take that evening to look at replacement options.  They all pretty much suck.  BUT I'd come across Wuala which had one inspirational feature: users can donate space to receive equivalent space in return depending on some function of their uptime... so to cut to the chase, the idea is to start a distributed peer-to-peer "cloud" storage service that is paid for in bitcoin.  I haven't worked out all the details yet, so I was hoping the forum could help me with that.  The framework I have so far is:

A person called a server from now on sells storage contracts to other persons called clients on a market.  The contract is paid at arbitrary intervals, say once per day.  The payment is scaled appropriately so it could be any reasonable interval.  The client needs to periodically connect to the server to verify the file is still available.  He does this by asking the server to hash a random chunk of the file, perhaps with a nonce.  After verification, the client pays the server.  The client and server are free to break the contract at any time.  The client should hire enough servers to cover the probability that his file will be lost due to a server breaking a contract, its hard drive crashing, random acts of nature, etc.  If the client wishes to update or retrieve his file, he must "pay up"; that is, the client can only update or download recently after submitting payment.

There are problems with this, such as that there is no notion of quality of service or locality.  Also it's unclear to me what the distributed model would be, if it could use the contract stuff (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Contracts) or would need to be a separate system. Would appreciate some discussion.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tigereye

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:06:13 PM

This idea "smells"
 Cheesy Cheesy Wink

(Sorry… your username made that joke way too easy Tongue)

If my posts have helped, consider leaving a tip! 1AE5e56ivvaGMJJmLrZoLgiZXPx93CddyA
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 04:59:58 PM

https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=2236.0
https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=1479.0

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 06:11:12 PM

Wuala also accepts bitcoins for payments: http://www.wuala.com/en/bitcoin

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 06:13:19 PM

There was a p2p encrypted network drive project that aimed to do exactly what you want to do, but I cannot remember the name of it.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 04:37:02 PM

Could it be Tahoe?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:51:17 PM

Could it be Tahoe?

That's the one.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: