Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:40:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU mining (not another thread on whether it is profitable)  (Read 347 times)
imjustp (OP)

Activity: 256
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2017, 08:39:14 PM

Howdy ho!

First off I want to say I'm by no means anywhere near as experienced on the cryptoverse than many of the users on this forum, however, I do seem to see the same threads popping up about CPU mining and them always getting blunt 'it's not profitable' responses - or at least replies in that vein.

While it considered to not be profitable overall, for obvious reasons, I think there are still some cases where it can be, even if really minuscule. It's also a good entry point for people getting into crypto as it leads to learning to configure miners and teaches what the terms used mean as well as their implications.

One of the main reasons i see against CPU mining is the fact that it shortens the lifespan of your computer through overheating. Especially on laptops.

After doing my own little research and trials I have found a couple things regarding mining with your CPU, the most notable being the affect of algorithms on the device.

The main thing I've found is that mining the scrypt and sha256 algorithms cause the CPU to work substantially harder which causes the significant overheating.

With that in mind my inexperienced self would advise any newbies in this to stick to mining the cryptonote related algorithms.

Personally I've found mining BCN to be the easiest to get a payout with although XMR is probably the better bet with regards to the future of the altcoin.

Anyway, as I say, this is useless I got to most of you but I hope it helps one or two of yous

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 09:27:43 PM

Good advice but for the wrong reason.

Algorithms are the key but the explanation seems contradictory.
Algos that run hot are so because the CPU can do more work and hash more efficiently.
Algos like cryptonight run cooler because the CPU is often stalled waitng for data from memory.

Now the paradox. Algos that are efficient with a CPU are more efficient with a GPU and even more
efficient with an ASIC (if one exists). Even though the CPU hash is efficient it can't compete with
a GPU or ASIC.

The best algos to mine with a CPU are the least effcient because those algos are even less efficient
or non-existant on a GPU and provide less competition for CPUs.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
imjustp (OP)

Activity: 256
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2017, 08:19:45 AM

Good advice but for the wrong reason.

Algorithms are the key but the explanation seems contradictory.
Algos that run hot are so because the CPU can do more work and hash more efficiently.
Algos like cryptonight run cooler because the CPU is often stalled waitng for data from memory.

Now the paradox. Algos that are efficient with a CPU are more efficient with a GPU and even more
efficient with an ASIC (if one exists). Even though the CPU hash is efficient it can't compete with
a GPU or ASIC.

The best algos to mine with a CPU are the least effcient because those algos are even less efficient
or non-existant on a GPU and provide less competition for CPUs.

Ah I see, they are running hot due to the efficiency of number of hashes completed per second which causes the unwanted added heat?

I was reading that the CPU algo such as cryptonote also are starting to require memory as well to make them ASIC resistant. Do you not think its possible to build an ASIC for cryptonote?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: