Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:21:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin+Translator Firefox and/or Chrome Extension for Chatroulette  (Read 5149 times)
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 09:40:09 PM

So tell me if this isn't even technically possible.  If it is, I'll likely start a bounty.

Overview: a browser extension that allows users to exchange bitcoins on ChatRoulette, and also translates ChatRoulette typed conversations, probably using the Google Translate API.

Specifics:

When user A, who has the extension installed connects to user B, who also has the extension installed, the extension displays  i)a text field to enter a gratuity amount, ii) a Send button for the text field, iii) a button with a preset tip amount determined by the other person (1-step tipping).

Nobody needs to see bitcoin addresses displayed, this is invisible to the user.

The extension acts as a mini-wallet.
The user can deposit bitcoins from their client, MTGox account or wherever.  The extension stores coins, sends from it's own stash, and receives into it's own stash.
The user can withdraw bitcoins from the extension.

As a bonus feature, and to get ChatRoulette users interested in the extension, it should provide on-the-fly translation of text being received in the chat window.  This feature should function whether both chatters have the extension installed or not.

Finally, and I'm still not sure about this one, the extension should have an address to which it sends a commission off each transaction.  The commission rate and destination would be determined by moi and may serve to fund future bitcoin projects.

"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Anonymous

December 12, 2010, 10:58:22 PM

Could a greasemonkey script accomplish this ?

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 07:55:10 AM

I'm pretty sure the main problem is that there is no way communicate between the two sides.  Data can manually be passed using the text chat capability I suppose.

Maybe OpenTok might be worth looking at for building an app instead?
  http://www.tokbox.com/opentok/features

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 08:07:21 AM

Sorry, I didn't at first comprehend what you had written.

Technically it is likely possible that an extension on both sides could automatically inject some data into the text chat and that the other side interprets that data.

But I see:
  http://chatroulette.com/terms/

3) Permitted Use of Web site
[...[
You agree not to collect or harvest any personally identifiable information, from the Service, nor to use the communication systems provided by the Service (e.g., comments) for any commercial solicitation purposes. You agree not to solicit, for commercial purposes, any users of the Service or Web site.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Anonymous

December 13, 2010, 09:24:30 AM

Seems like it will have to be built from scratch. I was thinking of something like this for bitcoinmedia which would let performers get paid for content.

Thanks for the link. Smiley
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 01:06:56 PM

Noagenda, don't build it from scratch.  There is a good CR clone out there: http://www.chatroulette-clone.com/.

abstraction

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 01:20:40 AM

Seems like it will have to be built from scratch. I was thinking of something like this for bitcoinmedia which would let performers get paid for content.

There is a site out there (http://hitrecord.org/reel) where amateurs create their own content and upload it to a site. The site lets anybody use another person's content to remix it or collaborate to make something more complex. I think Bitcoin could play well there, given the voluntary sharing nature of the site.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2010, 01:55:27 AM
Last edit: February 15, 2011, 06:02:18 PM by sgornick

I'm curious to know if there is a place for this idea though.

There's absolutely no need to build anything at this point.  Think Eric Ries' minimum viable product (http://www.startuplessonslearned.com/2009/08/minimum-viable-product-guide.html ).  

All you need is some performer to give it a try.  

The performer sends to every new connection a solicitation that gives out the URL from freebitcoins.appspot.com along with the performer's Bitcoin address.

If the performer gets enough positive responses (actual coin coming in), then the idea might just be a winner!

I try not to condone an idea that intentionally violates a site's terms of service but come on, ... this is ChatRoulette we're talking about -- something that is a violation of nearly every rule that exists.  :-)

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2010, 04:25:47 AM

I'm curious to know if there is a place for this idea though.

There's absolutely no need to build anything at this point.  Think Eric Ries' minimum viable product (http://www.startuplessonslearned.com/2009/08/minimum-viable-product-guide.html ).  

All you need is some performer to give it a try.  

Send every new connection the solicitation.  
Then give out the URL from freebitcoins.appspot.com along with the performer's Bitcoin address.

If the performer gets enough positive responses (actual coin coming in), then the idea might just be a winner!

I try not to condone an idea that intentionally violates a site's terms of service but come on, ... this is ChatRoulette we're talking about, something that is a violation of nearly every rule that exists.
I like your style of putting it out there and seeing if it flies.  But to get around the TOS problem, and to showcase bitcoin technology rather than just the idea of sending a performer a donation, what about this twist on the original post:

Instead of Chatroulette, the Firefox extension is built for YouTube.  Since there isn't a live performer on one end, the performer's bitcoin address is instead placed by them in the first line of the description that appears under the video.  The extension is able to identify this as a bitcoin address and presents the viewer with 3 options: 1 btc, 5 btc, or a text box for entering an amount with the rest of the functionality as outlined in the original post (minus the simultaneous translation feature).

This gives us an actual 'product' to market to content developers and to tech media, rather than just having a method of sending donations via the bitcoin faucet.  I think it is a bit more intuitive to people/media who have never heard of bitcoin.

I realize the idea is now closer to the Chrome extension that exists elsewhere, but by including mini-wallet functionality and designing it specifically for YouTube makes marketing the tool somewhat easier.

From what I've read this doesn't violate YouTube's TOS.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: