Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:01:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing Bitcoins Advice needed. HELP!  (Read 383 times)
bigasic (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 10:06:48 PM

I have been using trezor for a couple years with no issues. then last night i checked my balance and noticed that a substantial amount in dollar value was gone in about 6 transactions. If they somehow got the seed, why not wipe me out? they only took 15 percent of my bitcoin, which still to me is a crap ton of money.

Im wondering how this could have happened. I have a good pin enabled and the trezor never leaves me. I do have a backup in a safe.

Once I noticed the missing coins, i immediately sent them to a semi safe exchange wallet and i wiped a trezor and redid it with a good passphrase, which i didn't have last time. but the thing is, the trezor never left.

First off, what could have happened? I do know that it had the original seed words of only 12 words, could that be the reason?

Im sure if screwed up somewhere, i need some guidance or help at this point. don't know what to do. Are my coins going to be safe if I move them back to a new wiped 24 seed passphrase trezor?

Ideas? I just can't figure out where I fucked up...

BTW, I use antivirus and run it regularly. still, if they had the seed words, why not wipe me out?

Im kind of stressed right now as it was a huge chunk of my money

Also, they got my 20 dollars or so of ETH but left about 15k dollars worth of ERC-20 coins which i have safely moved. everything was trezor based.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 10:21:11 PM

Sounds like the problem might not have been in the Trezor. First of all it is quite safe wallet and secondly not all your funds are gone, so there you go. I would look more into those addresses that got their coins stolen, I doubt some address was only partially emptied, I would assume that only some of your addresses were emptied and the ones that were are completely empty now. So I would trace my steps back about those addresses particularly, what is so special about them, what do they all have in common?

As for the altcoins, not only could be the same thing as I said above, but they also might have had trouble learning about how to use them and all, different wallets and making sure they can do in anonymously,...who knows...
bigasic (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 10:36:34 PM

Sounds like the problem might not have been in the Trezor. First of all it is quite safe wallet and secondly not all your funds are gone, so there you go. I would look more into those addresses that got their coins stolen, I doubt some address was only partially emptied, I would assume that only some of your addresses were emptied and the ones that were are completely empty now. So I would trace my steps back about those addresses particularly, what is so special about them, what do they all have in common?

As for the altcoins, not only could be the same thing as I said above, but they also might have had trouble learning about how to use them and all, different wallets and making sure they can do in anonymously,...who knows...

Your right, one address, at the end, right as i caught it, the change came back to me, i emptied my entire wallet to protect what was still there, there was about 4 hours from the last transfer and when i saw it.

most of the btc is older, i moved all of them on to the trezor using multi bit, but bagged that a year or so ago but kept the same seed words, again, Im a holder, i buy things, but not with bitcoin. The whole thing is perplexing... Ive looked at the addresses and i can't tell what would be the difference. most of them are change wallets.

Another question, should I transfer them back using the reg wallet or the legacy? I really wonder if my chrome was compromised somehow. still, the private key is on the trezor, so how did they access it?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: