Bitcoin Forum
September 09, 2024, 10:30:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-05-29 European Parliament: Bitcoin, Gold and Silver: Once and Future Money  (Read 1386 times)
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 01:41:50 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2013, 03:14:09 AM by n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Running time: 81 minutes, including Q&A.  Actual presentation is first 20 minutes, mostly about metals & macro, Bitcoin mentioned in the first few minutes and last few minutes of presentation, disappointingly negative and disjointed, gives the impression that he put Bitcoin in the slide deck at the last minute because it's the hot topic at the moment.  If metals aren't your thing, do at least catch and enjoy the grilling from mystery young woman who seems to be one of us, at around 53 minutes.

• European Parliament, Brussels, 29 May 2013

Bitcoin, Gold and Silver: Once and Future Money
- A presentation by Alasdair MacLeod of GoldMoney,
- Hosted by Godfrey Bloom MEP, UKIP
- Sponsored by Europe of Freedom and Democracy Group
- European Parliament, Brussels
Room ASP A7H-1, Wednesday 29 May 2013
- Chaired by Michael Jose (UKIP)

• Alasdair Macleod
Head of Research at GoldMoney,
Editor of FinanceAndEconomics.org

• Godfrey Bloom MEP
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
EFD Group

• Roger Helmer MEP
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
EFD Group

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms4Tx_c2qiQ
symaxian

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 07:42:36 AM

He argues that it is quite likely that all major banks will refuse to facilitate Bitcoin for fear or repercussions by the government. He has a point but seems to underestimate just how decentralized Bitcoin can be and how hard it can be to extinguish, as the woman at 53 minutes in argues.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 09:17:24 PM

I think all this proves is that once again, at a high level in a collective governing body - Bitcoin is mentioned. If they didn't care, they wouldn't talk about it. Since they ARE talking about it, and with a negative spin, I think this belies some fear. After all, why waste the assembled dignitaries time if it is of no consequence?

The most interesting things come out of reading between the lines in these kinds of situations, and all I see is central banking fear rising.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:40:11 AM

i don't get the titled setting of this roundtable discussion headed solely by Alastair MacLeod.

it certainly doesn't look anything like a European Parliament especially with several younger ppl sitting around the table having to introduce themselves when they wanted to ask a question.

it looks to me like it's just a Goldmoney Roundtable conference with paid guests or members attending.  there was no discussion really; just pontificating by the old goldbug MacLeod.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: