Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:31:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: delete this. double posted.  (Read 2622 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:28:32 AM
Last edit: June 28, 2011, 01:18:52 PM by BitMole

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:40:36 AM

http://www.securitynewsdaily.com/90-of-companies-have-been-hit-by-hackers-0908/

90 Percent of Companies Have Been Hacked Into, Survey Finds

It seems it's becoming almost normal for companies to experience some kind of major network security breach these days.

In just May and June, Citigroup, Nintendo, Google, PBS, Lockheed Martin, NASA, Fox Broadcasting Corporation and Sony Online Entertainment have all been hit by targeted online attacks aimed at disrupting corporate operations and, in some cases, stealing sensitive information.

Other high-profile organizations, including RSA, Epsilon, the International Monetary Fund and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory have also experienced network intrusions.

A new survey conducted by Ponemon Research on behalf of the networking equipment and software firm Juniper Networks quantifies the real threats companies face in protecting themselves from these attacks.

According to the survey, "Perceptions About Network Security," 90 percent of the 583 companies polled said they've suffered a network security breach at the hands of hackers at least once in the past year.

Those don't include website hacks, which are annoying but often not serious, or denial-of-service attacks, which are more like roadblocks than actual hacks.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:41:02 AM

do you at least get 1Ghash with 20,000 computers?
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:45:10 AM

LOL AWESOME POST  Grin
BubbleBoy

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:49:41 AM

Silk road much ? You are utterly incoherent.

Do you realize that by utilizing the entire world's population and hardware resources to cracking every possible 'coin', you're personally contributing to the largest live 256bit encryption brute force 'dictionary'? Kind of makes you think that the government is probably BEHIND BitCoin, rather than interested in shutting it down, ey?

The Bitcoin block chain, as a dictionary of strings that hash to values with many leading zeros, has no cryptographic significance. It's a dumb bruteforce that does not "break" anything. It's not applicable to other forms of "256 bit encryption", which SHA256 is not anyway.

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
     ▄████▀▀            ▀▀████▄
   ▄████▀                  ▀████▄
  ▐███▀                      ▀███▌
 ▐███▀   ████▄  ████  ▄████   ▀███▌
 ████    █████▄ ████ ▄█████    ████
▐███▌    ██████▄████▄██████    ▐███▌
████     ██████████████████     ████
████     ████ ████████ ████     ████
████     ████  ██████  ████     ████
▐███▌    ████   ████   ████    ▐███▌
 ████    ████   ████   ████    ████
 ▐███▄   ████   ████   ████   ▄███▌
  ▐███▄                      ▄███▌
   ▀████▄                  ▄████▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ GET TOKENS ▂▂▂▂
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM                                # WEB ANN + Bounty <
with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers           > Telegram Facebook Twitter Blog #
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2011, 08:32:47 AM

Do you realize that by utilizing the entire world's population and hardware resources to cracking every possible 'coin', you're personally contributing to the largest live 256bit encryption brute force 'dictionary'? Kind of makes you think that the government is probably BEHIND BitCoin, rather than interested in shutting it down, ey?

No, such a dictionary wouldn't be practical.  The SHA-256 function can use a message input size of numbers anywhere between 1 all the way to 2^64 − 1 bits and produces a digest hash output of size 256 bits.  That is a huge huge possible number of inputs, basically it is ~2^(2^64).  Now of course the size of each block of transactions is currently rarely no bigger than ~64kb.  And, keep in mind that the entire bitcoin network only *publishes* 1 solution every 10 minutes, whereby a *solution* is nothing more than a pair of one number (of a string of 1's &  0's representing all transactions after the previous block) and a nonce such that it's SHA-256 hash is a 256-bit number with a certain number of topmost bits (depending on the current difficulty...currently 53 bits out of 256 bits) equal to 0.  Do you realize how long it would take to fill up, store, or even access an inverted hash table with 2^203 inputs?  And keep in mind these solutions are utterly useless (someone in the forums a few months back mentioned possibly to break cryptographic salt, but I don't see how).  And realize that the network only produces ~6*24*356=52,560 *solutions* every year so I couldn't even begin to fill this huge table.  And please, if you are trying to build a password cracking dictionary, realize that the binary format for a block of transactions looks nothing like the ascii text of passwords (if that is what you are referring to by brute force 'dictionary').

tl;dr summary is basically that all those hash cycles spent mining bitcoins all over the world is not producing anything useful other than ensuring bitcoin network security.

(edit: I see that other people already pointed out that the bitcoin block solutions are useless, but since it took me so long to write the above, I don't feel like deleting it.  And I apologize for any typing errors, since it is late at night.)

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 09:03:41 AM

Lol OP ur funny, ill just smile at you and leave this topic...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Horkabork

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 09:07:47 AM

Fun fact: Mt. Gox had spent over 2000 BTC on security bounties before the attack.

Source was MagicalTux, IRC in response to, I believe, someone asking why they didn't do that. They did, apparently.

Me: 15gbWvpLPfbLJZBsL2u5gkBdL3BUXDbTuF
A goat: http://i52.tinypic.com/34pj4v6.jpg
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 09:08:26 AM

No, such a dictionary wouldn't be practical.  The SHA-256 function can use a message input size of numbers anywhere between 1 all the way to 2^64 − 1 bits and produces a digest hash output of size 256 bits.  That is a huge huge possible number of inputs, basically it is ~2^(2^64).  Now of course the size of each block of transactions is currently rarely no bigger than ~64kb.  And, keep in mind that the entire bitcoin network only *publishes* 1 solution every 10 minutes, whereby a *solution* is nothing more than a pair of one number (of a string of 1's &  0's representing all transactions after the previous block) and a nonce such that it's SHA-256 hash is a 256-bit number with a certain number of topmost bits (depending on the current difficulty...currently 53 bits out of 256 bits) equal to 0.  Do you realize how long it would take to fill up, store, or even access an inverted hash table with 2^203 inputs?  And keep in mind these solutions are utterly useless (someone in the forums a few months back mentioned possibly to break cryptographic salt, but I don't see how).  And realize that the network only produces ~6*24*356=52,560 *solutions* every year so I couldn't even begin to fill this huge table.  And please, if you are trying to build a password cracking dictionary, realize that the binary format for a block of transactions looks nothing like the ascii text of passwords (if that is what you are referring to by brute force 'dictionary').

tl;dr summary is basically that all those hash cycles spent mining bitcoins all over the world is not producing anything useful other than ensuring bitcoin network security.

(edit: I see that other people already pointed out that the bitcoin block solutions are useless, but since it took me so long to write the above, I don't feel like deleting it.  And I apologize for any typing errors, since it is late at night.)

Thank you. It's alright, I enjoyed the read and I see now how insane it would be. After reading Satoshi's whitepaper a few minutes ago I kind of see it a tad differently. Socially and economically however, my opinion hasn't changed and I'm still a bit conspiracy paranoid about its future. Why wouldn't I be-- BitCoin is the currency of which the Black market will prosper.
You just gained much respect from me for not being stubborn when you realized you were wrong.  That's not what 99% of people here would do...  Anyway, I do agree that the future of bitcoins are uncertain, for a good variety of reasons.  But I am excited about the project and its potential (not just in the black market), so we'll just have to wait and see.
triforcelink

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 09:15:28 AM

Very interesting read. I'm curious, what kind of results did you get with that bitcoin virus?

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2011, 09:25:25 AM

No, such a dictionary wouldn't be practical...

Thank you. It's alright, I enjoyed the read and I see now how insane it would be. After reading Satoshi's whitepaper a few minutes ago I kind of see it a tad differently. Socially and economically however, my opinion hasn't changed and I'm still a bit conspiracy paranoid about its future. Why wouldn't I be-- BitCoin is the currency of which the Black market will prosper.

So you hadn't read the whitepaper yet, but managed to write both a virus and an anti-viurs: Cheesy

I wrote my own BitCoin Mining virus, and am now writing an Anti-virus for the community. I have only known about BitCoin for 2 weeks.

Yeah...I figured you were just trolling!  But I appreciated the troll.  Good effort.  Cheesy

Very interesting read. I'm curious, what kind of results did you get with that bitcoin virus?

Exactly, he never wrote a virus...  He just read the whitepaper! Smiley

Well I didn't release the virus, I just converted it into a tool for administrators instead (more honest) and now I'm selling licenses to run/use it.

I have however, started working on an anti-virus for applications that directly access the GPU via WebCL or OpenCL to keep others from being able to put mining viruses on people's computers in the near future (whenever they make it 'secure' enough to be included as a disabled function, lacking an AMD driver, and in more than just Firefox).

Sure you just started writing an anti-virus.   Roll Eyes

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
nathanrees19

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 11:49:13 AM

Disclaimer: I have 20,000+ machines mining coins in South Korea. The social network I run uses BitCoin as a currency. I wrote my own BitCoin Mining virus, and am now writing an Anti-virus for the community. I have only known about BitCoin for 2 weeks. Be afraid.

BRB, shitting myself.
nathanrees19

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:01:23 PM

Although it's true that the government can't stop people from liking or attempting to use Bitcoin in private, how do you think the internet exists? Magic? Your connection is a privilege of your government's legal system and the businesses who provide it. It is not a 'right'.

I don't know about your government, but my government is building a FTTH network for more than 93% of the population just to make sure that we have good internet. They have made suggestions that they consider it to be a "right". If they started terminating connections at random (and they don't have the legislative power to do this) then they would fuck up a lot of business and lose the next election.

If democracy doesn't work in your country, move to a better one.
Saturn7

Activity: 147

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:29:24 PM

How did you setup 20,000+ machines in two weeks?

That means you setup 59 mining rigs an hour, 24 hours a day for 14 days.

First there was Fire, then Electricity, and now Bitcoins Wink
Sannyasi

Activity: 454

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2011, 12:32:40 PM

he already told us it was magic..... didn't you read? There's even fancy graphics to help explain how the magic works.

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
nathanrees19

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:43:13 PM

How did you setup 20,000+ machines in two weeks?

It's either a CPU botnet (equivalent to under 500 GPUs) or complete BS.
nathanrees19

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:07:02 PM

Since when does being on a botnet mean you don't have a graphics card??  Huh

Since when does posting on a forum mean you can use a straw man??  Huh

ATI has 24% market share overall. Most of those would be low-end cards not very useful for mining. NVIDIA cards aren't very useful for mining, and low end ones are completely useless. Most PCs will have integrated Intel graphics. Unusable.

Botnets tend to target PCs running unpatched windows XP. These PCs tend to have older hardware.

GPU mining can take some effort to set up manually, and can have issues with driver versions and such. GPU mining causes very noticeable performance problems and in many cases system instability. Hardware-accelerated video (eg. on youtube) can sometimes completely freeze the system if mining at the same time. Other programs are guaranteed to freeze the system with certain setups. When someone's PC starts running like a piece of shit they tend to install firewalls/get it wiped/replace it with a mac. If the user notices a fan running loudly at all times they will probably shut down the PC as soon as they're done using it to make the noise go away.

So yes, including GPU mining in your botnet is a nice way to cause your botnet to shrink and disappear.

CPU mining on the lowest priority would almost certainly go undetected. (CPU fans tend to be quieter).

I am sure that with your phearsome programming skillz all these problems will magically vanish.
nathanrees19

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:10:45 PM

In closing, there doesn't exist a single forum thread here whining about 'losses' or 'hacks' that doesn't wreak of the yearning for government involvement, regulation and guarantee

Cool story bro. You're only seeing this because you want to see it. Analyse most of the threads objectively (you'll need to get someone else to do this for you) and you won't find any of that shit at all (I just did it for you).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: