Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:40:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Water cooling?  (Read 2153 times)
Rogue (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:30:56 AM

I've already built a rig that has two 6990's but its very loud and hot..I've been looking into water cooling the rig...i have all the parts besides the fittings....i was wondering if compression fittings are better than clamps and vice versa?

Because the last thing i want is a leak onto the cards.
Sidorovich

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 05:24:35 AM

Compression fittings are the best. I used steel clamps and barbs before and had problems with the tubing being pinched.
christov84

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 09:16:54 AM

Also I believe you watercool with Distilled Water. Leaks are bad yes but Distilled water inst a conductor until it becomes dirty?
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 04:02:39 PM

I've already built a rig that has two 6990's but its very loud and hot..I've been looking into water cooling the rig...i have all the parts besides the fittings....i was wondering if compression fittings are better than clamps and vice versa?

Because the last thing i want is a leak onto the cards.

Compression fittings are easier to deal with more or less, though I've had no trouble with tube clamp fittings either.

Also I believe you watercool with Distilled Water. Leaks are bad yes but Distilled water inst a conductor until it becomes dirty?

You want to use distilled water with just a touch of anti-freeze of some kind to prevent stuff from growing in your tubes. You should stick to a similar metal across all blocks in the system or you run a risk of severe corrosion as aluminum and copper react badly, which the anti-freeze will help out there too a bit.

razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 06:46:16 AM

Absolutely 100% PURE water with ZERO contaminants and NO gasses is actually an insulator.(good luck on getting it outside of a specially constructed laboratory)

But no... that does not include distilled water... (actually you would be frightened at the amount of shite in "distilled water" non-laboratory grade)

You use distilled water to reduce galvanic corrosion & oxides forming in the tubes, but good luck on it staying 'distilled'.

A minute layer of oxide reduces heat transfer efficiency. (see furry kettle)

You should stick to a similar metal across all blocks in the system or you run a risk of severe corrosion as aluminum and copper react badly

It is called galvanic corrosion and occurs frequently in shitty kits that mix metals (or cheap china made 'copper'), a single dissimilar metal is enough to kick it off...

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
hendo420

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 06:16:48 AM

Why not just use mineral oil? I would feel alot safer with mineral oil circulating in my computer than water.

ebmarket.co
Jama

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 10:51:10 AM

Why not just use mineral oil? I would feel alot safer with mineral oil circulating in my computer than water.

Most "watercooling" pumps are not up to the job of shifting the oil around due to the viscosity.
I have seen someone do it, but they used a pump from something else that was intended to pump oil.

zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868

ADT developer

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:03:28 AM

i use 1/2" id 3/4" od with copper barbs andplastic hose clips all works fine i have been usingit for4 years (ihave 1% antyfreez stopes galvonic crosion

TObject

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 07:36:10 PM

Also, remember the physics, specific heat capacity of mineral oil is what? About half of that of water, if I am not mistaken…
razorfishsl

Activity: 399

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 10:59:21 PM

I'd REALLY like to do one with liquid Gallium.... with a graphite assembly cooling plate..

Mercury would be too much of a problem if you had a leak.......

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
firefop

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 01:06:28 AM

Most "watercooling" pumps are not up to the job of shifting the oil around due to the viscosity.
I have seen someone do it, but they used a pump from something else that was intended to pump oil.

For mineral oil you generally don't use a pump at all. Just submerged fans to move the oil around.

Tamerz

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 03:40:25 AM

I use 7/16" ID Masterkleer tubing on 1/2" barbs and don't need any type of clamps or fittings at all. You need to soak the end of the tube in boiling water, then fit it on. It will not come off after that. If you need to take it off, you have to cut it.

After messing around with fancy fittings, clamps etc, I found this to be best. Just get a ton of the cheap stuff and use all new anytime you have to change something out.
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 04:51:26 AM

Mineral oil is not often used because it is not a very good liquid for use of heat transfer. I believe it's 6 or so linear times worse than water at absorbing heat from the CPU and taking it out and away into the radiator!

Mercury is the polar opposite of this, but it would also royally screw you up if a drop of it falls out (perfect short-circuit), as well as possibly become toxic if mercury vapor forms for any reason. (Liquid mercury can not be readily absorbed by the body.)

One potentially useful substitute to water in this application may be decompressed water vapor, this is what is inside of the heat-pipes used in laptops and high-end CPU coolers as well as most of the heatsinks in our GPU's. Decompressed water vapor is inside the tube, and by some magic of physics I haven't studied, it effectively equalizes heat from one side of the tube to the other side.

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
firefop

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:45:05 PM

Mineral oil is not often used because it is not a very good liquid for use of heat transfer. I believe it's 6 or so linear times worse than water at absorbing heat from the CPU and taking it out and away into the radiator!

Mercury is the polar opposite of this, but it would also royally screw you up if a drop of it falls out (perfect short-circuit), as well as possibly become toxic if mercury vapor forms for any reason. (Liquid mercury can not be readily absorbed by the body.)

One potentially useful substitute to water in this application may be decompressed water vapor, this is what is inside of the heat-pipes used in laptops and high-end CPU coolers as well as most of the heatsinks in our GPU's. Decompressed water vapor is inside the tube, and by some magic of physics I haven't studied, it effectively equalizes heat from one side of the tube to the other side.

Mineral oil is ill suited to be pushed around inside tubes or "pumped" anywhere. The correct way to cool with mineral oil doesn't involve any sort of radiator at all. You simply submerge your equipment inside a container (like a barrel) and then use fans to circulate the oil between your tank (which is where the equipment is) and your radiator (which is comparatively shallow but hold 3x the volume of the tank). Larger surface area of the shallow end means quicker cooling and fan speed controls flow. It's stupidly simple, and if you do it right your need any sort of filters.

mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:56:25 AM

use Fluorinert
computerparts

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 04:36:57 AM

use Fluorinert

No, use gasoline for best results  Grin
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 04:55:14 AM

I hear unicorn blood works best.

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868

ADT developer

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:05:01 AM

i just use 99% distald water 1% antyfreez to stop crotion/ watercoing bad have been using the same water sor 3 years  now

bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:18:37 PM

It is called galvanic corrosion and occurs frequently in shitty kits that mix metals (or cheap china made 'copper'), a single dissimilar metal is enough to kick it off...

Does combination of aluminium and copper parts make trouble? E.g. copper water blocks and some automotive aluminium radiator?

Thanks.
Marduk

Activity: 37

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 04:34:48 PM

Does combination of aluminium and copper parts make trouble? E.g. copper water blocks and some automotive aluminium radiator?

Thanks.

Mixing different metals in the same loop will accelerate galvanic corrosion.  Copper and aluminum are particularly bad together unless you use some sort of anti-corrosive agent such as anti-freeze (ethylene gycol) mixed into the water.

Look at the chart at the end of this wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion.  The higher the difference in the Anodic index of metals, the faster that corrosion will occur when those metals are in contact with each other.  This also occurs when the metals are connected by a water path as well.  This is unless you use an anti-corrosive in the water like I mentioned above.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: