Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 07:37:27 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Group Buy] BFL ASICs, + Board Design Underway.  (Read 15362 times)
MXRider

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:43:37 PM

I believe he's in Canada.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 04:55:54 PM

I believe he's in Canada.

So... +1a ?

I'll be here all week... try the veal!

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
dlasher

Activity: 467

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 10:56:14 PM

Is there a thread/list somewhere of the people currently working on BFL 'clone' boards/designs? (KlondikeBFL anyone?)

Loredo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:28:41 AM

So... +1, eh ?
Typo, fixed the spelling and inflection pause for you.
cchan

Activity: 379

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:07:03 AM

What is the state now?
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:18:10 AM

how will the credit program be incorporated into this group buy?
You would transfer the credits to my email address, and the cost for chips would be lowered.

Interested. Are there any shipping limitations? Slovenia, EU?

EDIT: not sure if you have this data but how much is necessary to pay at once? Full or half price?

Half price for the chips now, the remainder later. There aren't any shipping restrictions, but I can't speak to what your country will do for duty/tax.

What country are you based in?

What country are you based in? +1
As MXRider said, I am in Canada. The actual procedure for getting the chips is still up in the air (pun partially intended). At this point, the group buy is getting serious enough (a couple thousand chips possibly) that I might end up flying to the US to acquire them and for those that are interested in having the chips assembled get that process underway immediately. For those that aren't, chips would be shipped out from there to avoid me having to import them into Canada.
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:24:21 AM

What is the state now?
I've actually been swamped with work getting the group buy together. Work is slowly progressing on the PCB, though it's been sped up by BFL releasing the documentation of their chips. The plan is to submit the order to BFL on Friday and arrange for samples to be shipped out, and get the design finished and test boards under construction the week following. If revisions need to be made the schedule leaves time for that, and then production boards can be ordered with a longer leadtime to keep costs reasonable while we're waiting for the chips to arrive.

Once chips arrive, they'll go to the assembly house for anyone who's interested in having a board made, or shipped directly to you.
nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:24:04 AM

I have 4 chip codes that I would like to get in with.

If I can find 4 more chip codes available from some one I'd like to get in for 8. That should make a nice little mining rig to play with.
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:29:33 AM

I have 4 chip codes that I would like to get in with.

If I can find 4 more chip codes available from some one I'd like to get in for 8. That should make a nice little mining rig to play with.
PMed
bigdude

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

Dolphins Finance TRUSTED FINANCE

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:40:43 AM

I've already mentioned this over on BFL forums,

but I'm for 96 chips.

My only concern is, these need to be fully operation when I get them (apart from power supplies of course).

I am not interested in receiving these, then having to source my own stuff to complete it (ie. heatsinks etc).

If these can be ready, I plug them into power supplies, and off we go, I am in, and would consider purchasing credits off sellers to increase my already 96 chips.

2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:43:01 AM

I have 32 codes that I would be willing to put forward to this groupbuy if there is a real chance (as in "100%") that there is a EU-based (preferred: burnin) assembly that provides "ready to run" rigs/boards/blades.
MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:59:15 PM

I have 32 codes that I would be willing to put forward to this groupbuy if there is a real chance (as in "100%") that there is a EU-based (preferred: burnin) assembly that provides "ready to run" rigs/boards/blades.

I've contacted burnin(no answer, yet) and I've been also talking with some Finnish PCB design companies. Haven't got any solid offers yet.

If you got any good contacts in Germany we could order the chips straight to Europe and buy MrTeals design and have everything assembled here. One option is to just make clones of the BFL's existing products. The PCB designer who I talked with said that BFL needs to release more info about some component libraries (Altium schdoc) and some firmwares too.
babcoccl

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:14:22 PM

What is the state now?
I've actually been swamped with work getting the group buy together. Work is slowly progressing on the PCB, though it's been sped up by BFL releasing the documentation of their chips. The plan is to submit the order to BFL on Friday and arrange for samples to be shipped out, and get the design finished and test boards under construction the week following. If revisions need to be made the schedule leaves time for that, and then production boards can be ordered with a longer leadtime to keep costs reasonable while we're waiting for the chips to arrive.

Once chips arrive, they'll go to the assembly house for anyone who's interested in having a board made, or shipped directly to you.

Are you planning on producing the board that BFL released gerbers for?
joeventura

Activity: 854

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:24:13 PM

BFL released just the PCB for the 5Gh jalapeno

Its in Altrium format.

The problem is you can only mount two chips on it (it has pads for 8 I think) otherwise it will get to hot and fry.

They are 10 Layer boards and they are NOT cheap to have manufactured even in 1000 lots they are like $30 a pop

I have already converted the Altrium files to Gerber files, pick files and Bill of materials files.
babcoccl

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:45:51 PM

BFL released just the PCB for the 5Gh jalapeno

Its in Altrium format.

The problem is you can only mount two chips on it (it has pads for 8 I think) otherwise it will get to hot and fry.

They are 10 Layer boards and they are NOT cheap to have manufactured even in 1000 lots they are like $30 a pop

I have already converted the Altrium files to Gerber files, pick files and Bill of materials files.

Yea, BFL also released the gerbers on their forum. I was surprised at the amount of layers. And bypass capacitors.
joeventura

Activity: 854

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:52:28 PM

Someone needs to redesign a bigger board with less layers to get the price down.
babcoccl

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:00:39 PM

Last thread hijack I promise but have you priced out the BOM yet? Some pricey support componentsit looks like. 
PeZ

Activity: 297

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:42:43 PM

Is this assembly house in Canada? I ask since I am also Canadian.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:46:02 PM

I'm offering sample chips from my personal orders to reputable board designers: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=236103.0
msdrahcir

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:24:11 PM

I'm interested in getting in a group buy after BFL announces a shipping timeline for these chips... I don't want to end up getting 100 chips in january. I have 16 credits if that helps. Also it would be dependent upon the development of an affordable pcb to house these chips. If there is a PCB design project, is there any way I can help? I am a EE major (although no PCB design experience yet) it would be nice to contribute and learn.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: