Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 10:27:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will BTC survive, BTC value prediction ?  (Read 1129 times)
AsicBite (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:47:54 AM

I have some questions for miners and traders.

1. As more and more Companies see BTC threatening to their business. 
Hipotetically speaking lets say company PP that has lots of money and invest in 25nm ASIC chip.
They build data center that can hash >50% of global BTC net hash power.
Will it cause BTC price to drop as more and more people will find mining unprofitable as diff skyrockets and will leave network, yielding less people having generating less BTCs
that will cause less community support less BTC transactions.
Also PP can go further  and start selling BTC for less returning their initicial investment 
but also taking BTC price to lets say $50/BTC or they can go radical and sell for $X
yielding more people leaving a network as profitability drops and will actually turn to unprofitably for most of people.
At the end PP crashed BTC  , gets 50% of their investment back , protects their original business.

2. As current ASIC chips will start shipping soon  and if #1 doesn't happen hopefully, by the end of this year many people will have ASIC miners , given that ASIC consumes 40 times less power or 4000% less ie
5GH GPU ~2KW 
VS
5GH ASIC 0.05KW
can this drop BTC price or will difficulty even this  out ?

3. If more and more people start to mine ( my grandpa wants to invest in BTC mining Wink ) and as more and more people gets hold of BTCs they will want to spend it somewhere.
Online/offline stores will eventually start to offer BTC support.
So my question is will this pump BTC price up, as we all know that 11M coins are now in circulation , as time goes on less and less will be produced but much more people will want to have it ?

Any thoughts? 

Gemminyc

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:07:19 AM

1. small chance but can happen
2. you dont count initial asic cost
3. possible
Vanderi

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:27:38 AM

Bitcoin is here to stay.
AsicBite (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 12:08:21 PM

1. small chance but can happen
2. you dont count initial asic cost
3. possible

Well given that ASICs will sell soon as low as $50/GH so invesment will be small though I realize that people will than buy XX TH not XX GH , so this will even out with KW spent ...
And at the end it will be same mining year ago with GPUs or in few months with ASICs as long as everyone has opportunity to buy new tech, until some new chip is made than we will be in same situation as now,  big guys owning new tech before rest of us Smiley , so it not just plug it in the wall and forget it, you need to spend a lot of time researching and watching really a full time job!
hope4me

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 01:52:19 PM

Well given that ASICs will sell soon as low as $50/GH so invesment will be small though I realize that people will than buy XX TH not XX GH , so this will even out with KW spent ...

I doubt this year. But possible price for next year.
ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 02:43:05 PM

I stopped reading here. What? Why? It is just a payment system, it doesn't threaten any business (it does challenge the governments by bypassing the official currency routes that can be taxed). Businesses can adopt Bitcoin if they want as an alternate to their existing payment systems.
Pajamaw

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 03:42:11 PM

one in which they don't have to pay the astounding transaction costs of companies like visa
AsicBite (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 03:55:27 PM

I stopped reading here. What? Why? It is just a payment system, it doesn't threaten any business (it does challenge the governments by bypassing the official currency routes that can be taxed). Businesses can adopt Bitcoin if they want as an alternate to their existing payment systems.

OK can you answer me this question , how does PayPal make money ?
ruletheworld
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 04:14:25 PM

Fees
bigdude

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

Dolphins Finance TRUSTED FINANCE

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:34:24 PM

BTC is definitely here to stay.

As more and more businesses adopt it, and the whole infrastructure matures and becomes easier for non-geeks to use, BTC will only get bigger and stronger.

As for a value prediction, its not hard to imagine $1000+ ... though that may take a few years to get there.

AsicBite (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:58:49 PM

Fees
Yup so it does a lot of damage to those kind of companies , where their biz model is on taking fees per transaction
Paypal revenue in 2012
Revenue    US$5.6 billion (2012) - by Wikipedia

If you are decision maker in PayPal what would you do , adopt BTC ?
ruletheworld
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 04:19:42 AM

Fees
Yup so it does a lot of damage to those kind of companies , where their biz model is on taking fees per transaction
Paypal revenue in 2012

Lol you're talking of direct competing companies? Of course they won't like competition! But think of this in terms of a neutral business that isn't in the business of processing payments. How much of the economy do you think Paypal/Visa/Mastercard make up anyway?
linuxer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Official Troll of bitcointalk,Certified by John K.

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:25:50 AM

If some country/Company will ever create problems to bitcoin. It will be America/American companies.

Mark my words.

Chet

Activity: 121

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:30:18 AM

If some country/Company will ever create problems to bitcoin. It will be America/American companies.

Mark my words.

Are there really 'american' companies anymore? Isn't everything pretty much global?
fanwen

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:03:36 AM

good question.
but i think BTC is a pioneer. Maybe some better digital coin will replace it in the future.
survive ? NO .
value ? None .
Chet

Activity: 121

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:27:43 AM

good question.
but i think BTC is a pioneer. Maybe some better digital coin will replace it in the future.
survive ? NO .
value ? None .

could be, but what would be better?
What could we add or subtract that would improve BTC?
LOL

Activity: 71

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:36:20 AM

good question.
survive ? NO .
value ? None .

could be, but what would be better?
What could we add or subtract that would improve BTC?

Iron out transaction fees. They should be automatically be adjusted to the transaction in question.
linuxer

Activity: 98

Official Troll of bitcointalk,Certified by John K.

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:42:21 AM

Mark my words.

Are there really 'american' companies anymore? Isn't everything pretty much global?
No it's not.

If you do business with american customers, american govt wants you to register your company in america otherwise they will shutdown your company and charge money laundering case.

if you do business with american companies like BFL, they don't need to register their company in your country. They can scam you and you won't be able to do anything.

AsicBite (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:28:46 AM

Fees
Paypal revenue in 2012

Lol you're talking of direct competing companies? Of course they won't like competition! But think of this in terms of a neutral business that isn't in the business of processing payments. How much of the economy do you think Paypal/Visa/Mastercard make up anyway?
I understand that many non processing business will just benefit adopting BTC.
My point is that if PayPal revenue per year is $5600 Million and if they loose lets say 5%  of that lump as more users are switching to BTC
that's $280 Mil. loss per year , so theoretically they can invest $100 Mil to develop miners that can take >51% of network hashing power, in that case they own BTC  , that was my OP question #1  is this feasible? 
Bitcointrrader200

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:37:50 AM

I support this oppinion too.
Bitcoin is hated by tax services around the world because it CAN be used for illegal things but it's not always like that.
Shops can accept bitcoin as a alternative currency that can be saved or exchanged making a business more profit with the same price for a product.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: