Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 07:47:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can block time of a coin be changed?  (Read 161 times)
puremage111 (OP)

Activity: 1568
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 06:09:48 AM

Bitcoin has a block time of 10 minute
Etherem has a block time of 15 Second +-, currently at 30 Second due to huge TX

Lets say a coin blockchain has already been deployed like Bitcoin which having a 10minute Block Time

If Bitcoin undergo a Hard Fork, can it change its block time?
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 06:14:34 AM

Yes, it could be done - along with changing the block rewards to keep the emission rate the same.

But faster blocks would require waiting for more blocks to trust confirmations.

Not your keys, not your coins!
puremage111 (OP)

Activity: 1568
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 06:35:08 AM

Yes, it could be done - along with changing the block rewards to keep the emission rate the same.

Sorry, whats emission rate here?

Therefore lets say if Bitcoin Block time is set to be 1 minute, block reward will be needed to change from 12.5 to 1.25 to make it proportional?

Ahh i see, so its more on a security aspect when we comes to changing the block time

Thanks!
Jovovich

Activity: 316
Merit: 110

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:29:06 AM

Sorry, whats emission rate here?

Therefore lets say if Bitcoin Block time is set to be 1 minute, block reward will be needed to change from 12.5 to 1.25 to make it proportional?

Ahh i see, so its more on a security aspect when we comes to changing the block time

Thanks!

I think it could bring chaos or imbalance if ever the time blocks would change to that fast. Aside from trust confirmation and emission rate their could also be the cap and trade system. I find it hard to understand this Cap and trade system i do think block time would be changed during the hardfork?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: