Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:48:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much would it cost to build mining rig?  (Read 14444 times)
Odlanyer (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 01:15:39 PM

Hi bitcointalk, I want to build mining rig but I dont have the slightest idea how will i build one and how much would it cost me. Currently I have $ 2000. Would it suffice to build mining rig?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 01:21:40 PM

Hi bitcointalk, I want to build mining rig but I dont have the slightest idea how will i build one and how much would it cost me. Currently I have $ 2000. Would it suffice to build mining rig?

how much it would cost? simple answer = open end

Odlanyer (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 01:30:38 PM

how much it would cost? simple answer = open end
pardon. Whar do you mean open end? Pls specify your answer.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 01:32:26 PM

Yes, $2000 is probably about the average investment in mining equipment. With that amount you could build a nice rig of 4 to 6 cards and the associated support hardware. Much of the choice will come down to which coins you want to mine. Ethereum typically favors AMD and Equihash (Zcash) favors Nvidia, but they both can mine the other algorithm in a pinch.

Typical ETH build:

5 x RX580 8 GB - $310 ea or $1,550 total
1 x mobo with support for 5 or 6 GPUs - ~$120
1 x CPU (Intel G4400) - ~$50
1 x RAM 4 GB - ~ $30
1 x 120 GB SSD - ~$50
5 x PCIe USB risers - $50
1 x 1000 watts PSU - $150

This would put you right at your $2,000 budget. You would also need some type of frame to hold everything so you might need another $50 or so in materials.

A Zcash (Equihash) build would be much the same except you would pick some Nvidia cards such as the 1070's or perhaps the 1060's instead. The 1070's run around $500 so you could run 3 x of them and the 1060's go for $200 for the 3 GB version and $350 for the 6 GB version so you could run 5 or even 6x (if your motherboard supports it).
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 02:02:51 PM

Yes, $2000 is probably about the average investment in mining equipment. With that amount you could build a nice rig of 4 to 6 cards and the associated support hardware. Much of the choice will come down to which coins you want to mine. Ethereum typically favors AMD and Equihash (Zcash) favors Nvidia, but they both can mine the other algorithm in a pinch.

Typical ETH build:

1 x RAM 4 GB - ~ $30
1 x 120 GB SSD - ~$50

This would put you right at your $2,000 budget. You would also need some type of frame to hold everything so you might need another $50 or so in materials.

A Zcash (Equihash) build would be much the same except you would pick some Nvidia cards such as the 1070's or perhaps the 1060's instead. The 1070's run around $500 so you could run 3 x of them and the 1060's go for $200 for the 3 GB version and $350 for the 6 GB version so you could run 5 or even 6x (if your motherboard supports it).

Very bad advice on the psu ... dont try to build a 5-6 RX580-8GB rigs with a 1000 watts rated psu !!!
rx480/580 cards in some stress test can pull  over 200 watts easy during mining , mining with those cards are a real stress test / torture, with proper overclocking / undervolting the GPU/Mem you can reduce the wattage what those cards pull at the wall , but without any fine tune , those cards can pull over 200 watts each during mining!

[/center]

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Za1n
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 03:16:53 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2017, 03:27:07 PM by Za1n

Typical ETH build:

1 x RAM 4 GB - ~ $30
1 x 120 GB SSD - ~$50

Very bad advice on the psu ... dont try to build a 5-6 RX580-8GB rigs with a 1000 watts rated psu !!!
rx480/580 cards in some stress test can pull  over 200 watts easy during mining , mining with those cards are a real stress test / torture, with proper overclocking / undervolting the GPU/Mem you can reduce the wattage what those cards pull at the wall , but without any fine tune , those cards can pull over 200 watts each during mining!

Th only bad advice around here is yours. I have personal experience with many such builds and you can run 5 or even 6 RX580s off a 1000 watt PSU easily. If you are pulling over 200 watts per card you are definitely doing it wrong, and those benchmarks you linked are showing extreme cases, which again if you are running your mining rig like this you are doing it wrong. The guy is asking advice on how to build a rig right and mindlessly telling him to buy a larger PSU than he needs because you link some extreme un-optimized use case benchmark is foolish, especially when the price starts to rapidly climb past the 1000 watts range.

A RX 580 properly tuned meaning under-volt mod applied with clocks and voltages properly adjusted will draw 130 watts when mining ETH only and ~150 watts if dual mining. So for ETH only we could do 5 x 130 = 650 Watts, dual mining it would be 5 x 150 or 750 watts, well within reason. Even if he went 6 GPUs (which I only speced 5 for the AMD RX 580, the 6 was for Nvidia 1060's) it would be 780 and 900 watts respectively. While a 6 x RX580 dual mining configuration might be starting to push the PSU, it is still well under the maximum. However, a 6x RX580 just ETH only would be well within reason at 780 watts, or under the 80% load guideline I like to run around.

With Nvidia, the 1060's run under 100 watts each when mining ETH alone, so that would be 600 watts with 6 cards. And for his budget he could get 3 1070's which might be around 200 watts each, so again 600 watts. So tell me again where is the bad advice?

badfad

Activity: 186
Merit: 4

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 03:39:15 PM

rx480/580 cards in some stress test can pull  over 200 watts easy during mining , mining with those cards are a real stress test / torture, with proper overclocking / undervolting the GPU/Mem you can reduce the wattage what those cards pull at the wall , but without any fine tune , those cards can pull over 200 watts each during mining!

[/quote]

While I reccomend having a bigger PSU as possible for spare room and extra connectors, no fucking polaris card should eat 200W, Not even dual-mining. Also mining eth is in no way a torture/stress for the gpu, that's just plain wrong.

I'd recomend to the OP to always watch for the number of PCI-e connectors his PSU has, some brand fuck up on this chpter(looking at you Super-Flower).
djangocoin

Activity: 474
Merit: 285

Brave New World

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 03:41:49 PM

For a simple single rig with 6-8grfx cards to mine say.. vertcoin.. i recon about ~$1000 or less

Only worth it if you have cheap leccy and would take a while to earn back you initial investment, but eventually you'd be in profit.

:]
smoolae

Activity: 602

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 03:49:01 PM

For a PSU I'd recommend getting a server one (94%eff. Platinum rated). ParallelMiner sells some really nice kits. Smiley

Trasnadian

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 03:55:14 PM

For a PSU I'd recommend getting a server one (94%eff. Platinum rated). ParallelMiner sells some really nice kits. Smiley

But you need to do some modification on the server PSU.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 04:00:36 PM

The only bad advice around here is yours.

He is not entirely wrong or right, I guess his reply was cause op is inexperienced so he will never hit the consumption you would hit. I do have experience and I can say 1000w is more than enough but you need skill to optimize it. Also the prices you said are spot on, around 2100 usd, 5 x rx 580  will give you around $4 per day which in turn you will get back your money back in 525 days or 18 months to be precise but your system will have to be 24/7 and without problems and that is impossible, so count it as 24 months to get your money back. If you buy eth right now, in few days you will get 500% or more hehe and no problems at all.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Za1n
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 04:30:59 PM

The only bad advice around here is yours.

He is not entirely wrong or right, I guess his reply was cause op is inexperienced so he will never hit the consumption you would hit. I do have experience and I can say 1000w is more than enough but you need skill to optimize it. Also the prices you said are spot on, around 2100 usd, 5 x rx 580  will give you around $4 per day which in turn you will get back your money back in 525 days or 18 months to be precise but your system will have to be 24/7 and without problems and that is impossible, so count it as 24 months to get your money back. If you buy eth right now, in few days you will get 500% or more hehe and no problems at all.

I am not against overbuying on a quality PSU, well I am to a point, but linking some benchmark showing some extreme wattage usage does not help a beginner in any way and that was the main point to my rebuttal. Also, I think if you are getting into mining you do need to also learn how to tweak and optimize your rigs. Just throwing an overpriced excessive wattage PSU at non-optimized settings may have worked in April, May, June, July, and perhaps August for ROI purposes, but going forward people getting into the game are going to need to learn to optimize, optimize, optimize.

As far as the ROI question, I am with you 100% but I am tired of pointing out the obvious to people who only want to know how to get into mining. So I stopped pointing that fact out and now just offer advice on how to build rigs. But this again empathizes my goal of not overspending where you do not need to. Spending an extra $50-$75 on a oversized PSU will only lengthen that period.

So I recommend to the OP once he buys his gear, which I stand behind in my listing above, that he also comes back and asks about how to tweak it for optimal performance. There is also no harm in buying the base components that will support a a 5-6 GPU rig and only starting with 3-4 GPUs to learn these intricacies. Once you have this down you can always upgrade your rig to its maximum potential. This way you will have the best of both worlds, a reasonably priced and sized rig and you wont burn your house down in the interim period of learning how it all goes together and works.
xxcsu

Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 04:48:02 PM

A RX 580 properly tuned meaning under-volt mod applied with clocks and voltages properly adjusted will draw 130 watts when mining ETH only and ~150 watts if dual mining. So for ETH only we could do 5 x 130 = 650 Watts, dual mining it would be 5 x 150 or 750 watts, well within reason. Even if he went 6 GPUs (which I only speced 5 for the AMD RX 580, the 6 was for Nvidia 1060's) it would be 780 and 900 watts respectively. While a 6 x RX580 dual mining configuration might be starting to push the PSU, it is still well under the maximum. However, a 6x RX580 just ETH only would be well within reason at 780 watts, or under the 80% load guideline I like to run around.

The key is as you said as i said is : " properly tuned meaning under-volt mod applied with clocks and voltages properly adjusted"

So do you think when someone asking a question like : "I dont have the slightest idea how will i build one " , that person know how to properly tune  , mod the cards ?  Grin

PLease ! dont give bad advice for newbies who dont have "slightest idea how he need to build ",  they can burn down they house !

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 05:30:39 PM

The PSU should be a EVGA or CORSAIR 1200 watt , fully modular and Platinum rated like the Hx1200 from Corsair, this PSU can keep up 5 cards even if they are running near 200 watt but that is not the case because when you are mining Ethereum they are consuming 135 watt each from GPU-Z or MSI afterburner app.

I would advise you to buy 6x 1060 GB 3GB for 1200 USD which would be a better choice, the consumption would be much lower than with RX 580 and you can mine Zcash to get approximately the same amount as for 5x RX 580. Make sure to buy a good motherboard for mining, like ASROCK H81 PRO BTC which supports 6 cards easily.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
smoolae

Activity: 602

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 05:47:33 PM

But you need to do some modification on the server PSU.

PICO adapter for MOBO and everything is a OK Smiley (also, risers with 6-pin pcie for straight connection from PSU)!
http://www.parallelminer.com/product-category/power-supply-kit/

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 06:14:03 PM

The PSU should be a EVGA or CORSAIR 1200 watt , fully modular and Platinum rated like the Hx1200 from Corsair, this PSU can keep up 5 cards even if they are running near 200 watt but that is not the case because when you are mining Ethereum they are consuming 135 watt each from GPU-Z or MSI afterburner app.

I would advise you to buy 6x 1060 GB 3GB for 1200 USD which would be a better choice, the consumption would be much lower than with RX 580 and you can mine Zcash to get approximately the same amount as for 5x RX 580. Make sure to buy a good motherboard for mining, like ASROCK H81 PRO BTC which supports 6 cards easily.

+1 for 1060. Easy 24-25 on Ethash without song and dance. As for PSU I prefer to use server psu because it  needs to run 24/7 non stop

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 06:30:26 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2017, 08:13:58 PM by deadsix

The key is as you said as i said is : " properly tuned meaning under-volt mod applied with clocks and voltages properly adjusted"

So do you think when someone asking a question like : "I dont have the slightest idea how will i build one " , that person know how to properly tune  , mod the cards ?  Grin

PLease ! dont give bad advice for newbies who dont have "slightest idea how he need to build ",  they can burn down they house !

I have SEVERAL rigs of 7 x Rx 570's running at ~115W Dual mining, for a total system draw of about 850W on 1000W platinum PSU's so ... I agree with Za1n, if your'e getting into mining, you need to learn how to optimize, or you stay away.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:57:15 PM

I am not against overbuying on a quality PSU, well I am to a point, but linking some benchmark showing some extreme wattage usage does not help a beginner in any way and that was the main point to my rebuttal. Also, I think if you are getting into mining you do need to also learn how to tweak and optimize your rigs. Just throwing an overpriced excessive wattage PSU at non-optimized settings may have worked in April, May, June, July, and perhaps August for ROI purposes, but going forward people getting into the game are going to need to learn to optimize, optimize, optimize.

As far as the ROI question, I am with you 100% but I am tired of pointing out the obvious to people who only want to know how to get into mining. So I stopped pointing that fact out and now just offer advice on how to build rigs. But this again empathizes my goal of not overspending where you do not need to. Spending an extra $50-$75 on a oversized PSU will only lengthen that period.

So I recommend to the OP once he buys his gear, which I stand behind in my listing above, that he also comes back and asks about how to tweak it for optimal performance. There is also no harm in buying the base components that will support a a 5-6 GPU rig and only starting with 3-4 GPUs to learn these intricacies. Once you have this down you can always upgrade your rig to its maximum potential. This way you will have the best of both worlds, a reasonably priced and sized rig and you wont burn your house down in the interim period of learning how it all goes together and works.

Yeah every little bit helps nowadays. I do agree with you, what is the point buying a 1300w for 5 or 6 gpu's, okay it will give you like 1 or 2% in efficiency in the long term but that will take 20 years for those 1 or 2% to return to you as money.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
QuintLeo
Legendary

Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 08:45:48 PM

Easily will get you a viable 3-card GTX 1080 non-riser rig, possibly 4-5 card on a RX 470/570/480/580 or GTX 1060 based riser rig.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
greatauror28

Activity: 181
Merit: 101

Ethereum Miner

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 10:20:24 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I get the OP's enthusiasm about doing something he haven't done before with the promises of golden pastures of raking in coins that only increases in value. But this route isn't usually trodden by newbies and people who doesn't have any idea how pc hardware work.

This isn't just about mining, but building a working computer from spare parts you buy separately. We can suggest everything we know which to buy, what brand to look for at what price, but if the guy doesn't even know how to install windows, or why LGA1151 motherboards won't take AMD CPUs we're already dead in the water here.

Now, assuming he does know something about computer building, all the previous posts are helpful and should give him a bit of an idea what to buy. I'm also against buying a 1000w PSU to power 5 cards as being a noob, he wouldn't know right away how to undervolt his cards and lower the core clocks to run the cards cooler. This would mean he'll mine a few weeks of full-powered cards with high temps that will suck a lot of power, which will be evident right away in his power bill. God help him if he pays more than $0.10 per kWh.

Believe me, even if it's me, if I can run the miner and start mining, i'll worry about undervolting and optimizing later on. Who wants to be farther behind right?

And then when issues come along, troubleshooting will be another pain. It is and will always be.

I build and sell rigs! I also sell ssd clones of the most stable Windows+Claymore+AMD driver combo you'd ever used.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: