Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:32:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MEW stripped of ETHER  (Read 448 times)
Brimski (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 02:41:12 PM

Hi
I am wandering if anyone can help me on here ? MEW was somehow hacked 2 days ago and all my remaining ether was taken from my account by this address
0x6AEF2850C2Ce2ef583ae8A36bE3357080608BDC3  Does anyone have any idea who or what this address is ? I cannot understand how or why it was taken from my Ether Wallet when I am extremely careful about how and when I open this wallet ? I know about phishing etc and am completely baffled ??
Thanks in advance
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
svojoe
Legendary

Activity: 968
Merit: 1000

einc.io

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 02:57:32 PM

Hi
I am wandering if anyone can help me on here ? MEW was somehow hacked 2 days ago and all my remaining ether was taken from my account by this address
0x6AEF2850C2Ce2ef583ae8A36bE3357080608BDC3  Does anyone have any idea who or what this address is ? I cannot understand how or why it was taken from my Ether Wallet when I am extremely careful about how and when I open this wallet ? I know about phishing etc and am completely baffled ??
Thanks in advance

Do you use antimalware soft? Any antivirus? Are you sure that nobody knew your private key and you never clicked on any links? Where and how do you store your private key and keystone file?

Brimski (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 04:11:26 PM

Hi , Yes I have antimalware installed and antivirus , I only ever access the wallet to add ethereum , I only visually look at the wallet through etherscan ? this is where I noticed that my ethereum was cleared out ? I did have teamviewer running both on my PC and phone (big mistake I have read) .. could it really have been this app that has hacked my wallet ? I have heard stories of bitcoin disappearing via teamviewer but never ethereum ? I am putting it down to foolishly having this installed as I can see no other way my wallet could have been accessed ? All keys and addresses are held offline on usb stick I have never given address out apart from ETHBET crowdsale and EOS .. I did very recently have 1000 CNX airdropped into my account which seemed strange but this is the only access that has been gained to my wallet. Could it really have been teamviewer ? If so I have electrum/neo/strat/iota wallets all running on my computer and even the EOS and ETHBET in the same MEW wallet but these weren't touched ? likewise my other wallets untouched ? just the ethereum out to this unknown address ?  Embarrassed
thanks again in advance.
zikabra

Activity: 574
Merit: 139

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 04:52:05 PM

Hi
Thanks in advance
Maybe you clicked on phishing link and someone catch your private key.
Unfortunately there is zero chance that you will find who has stolen your ether and there is no way that you will see that ether ever again.
It is strange why they took ether and left other tokens.
g4r1n1m

Activity: 238
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 05:01:49 PM

check your exchanges
i am really not joking - once my eth moved by itself back to my liqui exchange wallet in a middle of the night, i tought it was stolen and then i found out its there after few days...
but if its not the case - open a new wallet on air gapped computer and send the tokens there
never let it touch the interenet - you have options for offline transactions
shirackjs

Activity: 812
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 05:29:50 PM

Sorry for your losses. The ETH address might be a brand new address, there is nothing much we can do now.
Brimski (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:17:13 PM

Thanks for the advice guys  ...  A real lesson learnt  Sad
Warren Buffert

Activity: 364
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:22:55 PM

check your exchanges
i am really not joking - once my eth moved by itself back to my liqui exchange wallet in a middle of the night, i tought it was stolen and then i found out its there after few days...
but if its not the case - open a new wallet on air gapped computer and send the tokens there

What's the explanation for your ethereum moving by itself according to you?
alikaya58

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:38:44 PM

do not store your private key on your computer never.
itsv

Activity: 532

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 07:46:02 PM

sorry to hear that man that sucks. I advise you to change your remaining wallets generate new keys and addresses using different PC and transfer them .
NoiseBoy

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Sound. Fury. Signifying.

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:49:17 PM

Hi
Thanks in advance

Did you by chance see a link in Slack about the upcoming fork and needing to blah blah blah update your myehterwallet info?

'Cuz if so, that wasn't legit.
rainbow169

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 08:47:48 PM

Hi
Thanks in advance

Did you by chance see a link in Slack about the upcoming fork and needing to blah blah blah update your myehterwallet info?

'Cuz if so, that wasn't legit.

Slack really should be banned for ICO and it has become a place for all the scams. I am so sorry people are falling for this again and again. I remember somewhere near 750k USD was stolen by scammer before the engima ICO.
Filmmmakerr

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

Hello. Bye.

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 09:04:48 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. Not to be an ass, but there has been a lot of hacking/stealing fud going around payed for by all the hardware wallets to scare us into buying their products. Its politics, not saying I don't believe you but its hard to tell the difference.

Campaign Manager (2018)
DigeNarrator

Activity: 210
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 09:07:23 PM

check your exchanges

What's the explanation for your ethereum moving by itself according to you?

i found this : https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/4s76ul/please_help_my_ether_got_moved_by_itself_luckily/
he says that his coins moved by themselves too  Undecided
could be some bug that they had in the past or still have?
Brimski (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 08:48:01 PM

@Warren Buffert @noiseboy
These are 2 very good questions.. Yes i did click that hardfork link but did not attempt to update nor change my ether wallet as it was all working fine. I contacted teamviewer and they responded by saying i need to goto the police as my teamviewer had attempts from strange ip addresses to connect to my computer via this app? I have since removed this remote software from both phone and PC. Although personally i dont think it could be that? although i have now read the stories regarding Teamviewer and bitcoin. I did have 1000 CNX coin air dropped into my MEW a day before the the eth went. I did find that a little strange as I've read they are a scam? Am really not sure how my eth could have just disappeared like that leaving 3 remaining erc20 tokens in mew? I have/had several other desktop wallets BTC/STRAT/NEO/IOTA a few others all untouched?
Maybe it could have been the Teamviewer?
Any thoughts?....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: