Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:54:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Klondike] Case design thread for K16  (Read 37915 times)
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 05:28:46 PM

Does one have to build such cases or is it prebuilt to buy somewhere? I probably dont get where to find such things or how they are named.

I assume the designer's goal was to build it themselves.

If i needed to stuff them in cases, what id do is goto a shop selling second hand equipment (plenty of large shops selling used computers (p2/p3/p4), audio/video equipment, etc almost at scrap value) , and find some case that roughly matches the width and is off appropriate depth.

5 years ago i bought some pentium 4 computers for office at ~$60 each ... i am still harvesting them for fans/wires/etc...

But the thing is that this is a 19"-enclosure to be put into a server rack. i doubt its easily possible to change a tower into such an enclosure.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 06:22:13 PM

Bicknellski... i like your rack-plan. I would love to see an offer in the forum where one offers such a 2U (or whatever it becomes) and includes the cables needed, a matching psu that can handle overclocking too and a raspberry or something to run the software needed. Most probably a software will be needed to administrate everything from the net too.

Maybe even create a similar thing for burnins bitburner.

The datacenters seems not too expensive for such things.

I hope something is developing here. I would buy.

Sab

Looking at the overclocking potential I think mineral oil and something along the lines of the http://www.grcooling.com/ guys set up is what I will eventually have going in the 1U variety / Gold Pan K256. No fan, keep the heat sinks. I will keep you posted as I get closer to a finished K256 and post everything up. In terms of sales... might be best to have it as kit or something where people finish them locally. Shipping anything this size will cost an arm a leg and a few internal organs plus given the issues with customs and tariffs? Not worth it but maybe a hosting situation where you buy the unit and we host it here in Indonesia might be promising but given the difficulty rise I can only see one way to go and that is group buy coop's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6IX9U2zaI_I

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 06:44:27 PM

Bicknellski... i like your rack-plan. I would love to see an offer in the forum where one offers such a 2U (or whatever it becomes) and includes the cables needed, a matching psu that can handle overclocking too and a raspberry or something to run the software needed. Most probably a software will be needed to administrate everything from the net too.

Maybe even create a similar thing for burnins bitburner.

The datacenters seems not too expensive for such things.

I hope something is developing here. I would buy.

Sab

Looking at the overclocking potential I think mineral oil and something along the lines of the http://www.grcooling.com/ guys set up is what I will eventually have going in the 1U variety / Gold Pan K256. No fan, keep the heat sinks. I will keep you posted as I get closer to a finished K256 and post everything up. In terms of sales... might be best to have it as kit or something where people finish them locally. Shipping anything this size will cost an arm a leg and a few internal organs plus given the issues with customs and tariffs? Not worth it but maybe a hosting situation where you buy the unit and we host it here in Indonesia might be promising but given the difficulty rise I can only see one way to go and that is group buy coop's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6IX9U2zaI_I

Thanks for answering. When you go the mineral route dont you think the hosting will be considerably more expensive? And it will be hard to find a hoster anyway i guess. Plus i read mineral oil isnt meant for running 24hours 7 days a week because its only made for dissipating heat fast. So over time the oil will become hotter and hotter, so the oil has to be cooled down too then.

Regarding DIY... i already search such rack shelfs but cant find anything looking near your and the other picture shown. But maybe i only dont have the correct searchwords.

32W per Klondike means a 1000W psu is only good for a couple of miners. On top you need to have around 4A at 12V for each of the miners. I believe most psus will be able to power less miners than they could by wattage because the Ampere on 12V is lower than this amount.
But i believe chosing the correct psu is only possible once burnin and bkkcoins tested the overclocking abilities correctly. If there are differences the price MH/$ will maybe change again too.

I searched a bit for colocation racks and found that hetzner, in germany has this offers: http://www.hetzner.de/hosting/produkte_colocation/basic and they claim a maximum server depth of 750mm. Shouldnt this be played out or is it so unusual that only hetzner offers it? They even have racks where the depth could be up to 1150mm.

Lollaskates

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:54:53 PM

Cool designs
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 08:04:59 PM

I searched for a cheap solution and im wondering what you think about this. And very sorry for the very poor skills in gimp... Smiley

Its based on 2 of these 2U racks: Link

Since each is 375mm depth i thought chaining 2 would maximize the 750mm hetzner is offering. I think they could be chained by bending the front flags that are made to mount them with screws on the colocation rack to the side and attach it to the other rack unit at the bottom. At the top i would use a metalpiece to connect both parts with screws. It should be possible to make it strong enough. If the border at the bottom end of the first rack disturbs then it could be bend too.

Then i would take 2 miners. Burnin or klondike and put both heatsinks together. Then attach a fan and make something around so that the air is forced through the heatsinks and cant escape. Then put more miners after this and so on. At the end another fan like in bicknellskis image.
All miners then are attached to the bottom with screws.

The image shows 4 pcbs without heatsink mounted to the bottom and 2 pcbs with 2 heatsinks each put together and mounted to the bottom. Again, sorry for the bad art. Smiley

Regarding the psus... 2U should be the standard height of ATX-Power supplies and those are the most cost efficient because they are widely bought and cheap produced. So i would add one or more of those at the end and put the pull fan at each minerrow a bit more to the beginning so that the airflow still is possible and the psu has enough space.

Its a cheap solution, the rack would cost 2 x 20€ only. 20€ if you would go the standard 37.5mm

Will this work?

But even when... how to remotely administrate it? Is one raspberry enough to run cgminer for all miners? And can this raspberry be reached from the net to change something? Maybe restart and so on? Anyone has a solution for the administration?
Maybe its even better to have 2 raspberries? One that can restart the first when it stopped working? Or is this overload and a cheaper unit could be used for this?

turtle83

Activity: 322

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 08:13:32 PM

I searched for a cheap solution and im wondering what you think about this. And very sorry for the very poor skills in gimp... Smiley

https://i.imgur.com/LNorzrp.jpg

Since each is 375mm depth i thought chaining 2 would maximize the 750mm hetzner is offering. I think they could be chained by bending the front flags that are made to mount them with screws on the colocation rack to the side and attach it to the other rack unit at the bottom. At the top i would use a metalpiece to connect both parts with screws. It should be possible to make it strong enough. If the border at the bottom end of the first rack disturbs then it could be bend too.

Then i would take 2 miners. Burnin or klondike and put both heatsinks together. Then attach a fan and make something around so that the air is forced through the heatsinks and cant escape. Then put more miners after this and so on. At the end another fan like in bicknellskis image.

The image shows 4 pcbs without heatsink mounted to the bottom and 2 pcbs with 2 heatsinks each put together and mounted to the bottom. Again, sorry for the bad art. Smiley

Regarding the psus... 2U should be the standard height of ATX-Power supplies and those are the most cost efficient because they are widely bought and cheap produced. So i would add one or more of those at the end and put the pull fan at each minerrow a bit more to the beginning so that the airflow still is possible and the psu has enough space.
I think ur thinking of 3U. 2U feels small to fit in standard ATX PSU. Even if u can cram it in, the air inlet would probably be sealed tight by the case.
Its a cheap solution, the rack would cost 2 x 20€ only. 20€ if you would go the standard 37.5mm

Will this work?
Keep in mind its not only the rackspace ur renting. You are also buying electricity (and the cooling capacity to get rid of the heat). The datacenter will probably give you low power... and you would need to negotiate for more watts.

But even when... how to remotely administrate it? Is one raspberry enough to run cgminer for all miners? And can this raspberry be reached from the net to change something? Maybe restart and so on? Anyone has a solution for the administration?
Maybe its even better to have 2 raspberries? One that can restart the first when it stopped working? Or is this overload and a cheaper unit could be used for this?

Linux... so ssh... Raspberry pi even has a watchdog with can make the pi reboot itself for most failures... worst case, you can ask the datacenter to power cycle your device. Some datacenters provide power strips u can power cycle remotely.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 08:23:18 PM

I think ur thinking of 3U. 2U feels small to fit in standard ATX PSU. Even if u can cram it in, the air inlet would probably be sealed tight by the case.

Will this work?
Keep in mind its not only the rackspace ur renting. You are also buying electricity (and the cooling capacity to get rid of the heat). The datacenter will probably give you low power... and you would need to negotiate for more watts.

Linux... so ssh... Raspberry pi even has a watchdog with can make the pi reboot itself for most failures... worst case, you can ask the datacenter to power cycle your device. Some datacenters provide power strips u can power cycle remotely.

2U would be 88.9mm after standard. I checked my seasonic and i found the heigth is 86mm.
I dont think the airflow will be broken too hard with it because i dont want to create a wall of psus at the end. I only want to place one or 2 psu one after another at the end of one of the middle miner-rows maybe. So that the pulling fans can still throw the air around the psus.

Yes, i know about the power. In fact a full colocation rack with over 300 klondikes will have the powercost as biggest factor. Thats why i already look for countries with cheap power to search colocation hosting there. The rent itself is the lowest cost.

So regarding the raspberry... you say one unit could be enough for one 2u-rack? Or even the whole colocation rack maybe? And it would be possible to check over the net how everything works?
Is this safe then or might someone be able to attack from the net and do something bad to the miners? I dont have a clue how this would work.

turtle83

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 09:23:53 PM

Will this work?

2U would be 88.9mm after standard. I checked my seasonic and i found the heigth is 86mm.
I dont think the airflow will be broken too hard with it because i dont want to create a wall of psus at the end. I only want to place one or 2 psu one after another at the end of one of the middle miner-rows maybe. So that the pulling fans can still throw the air around the psus.

Yes, i know about the power. In fact a full colocation rack with over 300 klondikes will have the powercost as biggest factor. Thats why i already look for countries with cheap power to search colocation hosting there. The rent itself is the lowest cost.

So regarding the raspberry... you say one unit could be enough for one 2u-rack? Or even the whole colocation rack maybe? And it would be possible to check over the net how everything works?
Is this safe then or might someone be able to attack from the net and do something bad to the miners? I dont have a clue how this would work.

The pi is probably one of the cheapest components in the setup... In theory it could possibly run the entire rack... but id suggest maybe put 1 pi per case.. or something. This needs testing how many K16s can single pi handle... It boils down to distributing the risk by having multiple isolated systems vs one large system.

Nothing is safe. Everything that can break will break. Everything that can be attacked will be attacked, use your own judgement. I would say if setup correctly the odds of being pwnd is greatly reduced. Seems like you need to wait for someone to make raspberry pi image for k16 (maybe minepeon or something) and trust they did the right thing.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 09:35:55 PM

The pi is probably one of the cheapest components in the setup... In theory it could possibly run the entire rack... but id suggest maybe put 1 pi per case.. or something. This needs testing how many K16s can single pi handle... It boils down to distributing the risk by having multiple isolated systems vs one large system.

Nothing is safe. Everything that can break will break. Everything that can be attacked will be attacked, use your own judgement. I would say if setup correctly the odds of being pwnd is greatly reduced. Seems like you need to wait for someone to make raspberry pi image for k16 (maybe minepeon or something) and trust they did the right thing.

Yes, i guess i have to wait someone providing something. I only thought since the raspberry is directly on the net, and the admin has to reach it through the net too, it sounds dangerous. But maybe the raspberry is capable of protecting itself good enough.

Bicknellski

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:09:07 AM
Last edit: June 29, 2013, 09:04:21 AM by Bicknellski

I think I have personally assessed the data center idea for the current K256 idea and at least in Indonesia it is actually cheaper to rent space and build a customized data center. Indonesia has a lot of positives for going this route. Manpower is abundant especially technical know how. Space in terms of commercial buildings with access to sufficient power. Finally given fabrication of PCBs can happen at a reasonable cost I think the COOP we have set up might be a way to get things jumped started here in Indonesia. If we can see Generation 2 chips from Avalon and BKKCoins can modify his current design to suit I think then a 1U will be possible for a standard data center. Given the overclocking the 1U I propose will need 700W and the oil submerged system, with heat exchange and an external cooling tower. Given the heat in Indonesia this might just be the most cost effective system in the longer term.

My plan.

1 - K256 prototype air-cooled (600-750W PSU)
15 - K16s on stanchions with my first batch no cases
44 - K1 nanos

I do love some of the case ideas here... especially the CUBES.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
FullFathom5

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:58:44 PM

[...]
Given the overclocking the 1U I propose will need 700W and the oil submerged system, with heat exchange and an external cooling tower. Given the heat in Indonesia this might just be the most cost effect system in the longer term.
[...]
I do love some of the case ideas here... especially the CUBES.

Interesting info on oil choices:
IEC 60422, IEC 60296 (Google search should turn up some useful links) and

http://www.power-eng.com/whitepapers/2012/shell.whitepaperpdf.render.pdf

I think oil and cubes design could be integrated. If you couple the heated oil to water, you can generate hot water and save on that as well. Some ideas to ponder from the world of power transformers http://www.electrical4u.com/transformer-cooling-system-and-methods/

Not to be contentious, but Sebastian I think you are mistaken regarding the operation of equipment 24/7. Intel and many other data centers have done exactly that. Intel did a one year pilot study and follow up failure analysis indicated nothing of mention. There are certainly other issues in terms of maintenance, which is where good design can make a significant difference. Modular mining units (the blade designs appeal too for this reason) that have snap on feature seem like a good idea IMHO. If you search for the Intel pilot study, it is also interesting to note the significant decrease in power consumption. Considering that these miners will have a carbon footprint the likes of Godzilla rampaging through downtown Tokyo, this is a good thing *financially* for miners as well. Less cost up front.

That being said, there is the oil and despite the videos demonstrating ease of service http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zoIEjo1Zk there's still the oil. The fewer small parts to drop, misplace, recover from the bottom of the oil reservoir, the better.

Lots of design opportunities here... I don't think ordering a GRCooling Carnojet system is necessarily the most prudent solution for everyone... as pointed out previously the shipping costs are likely crippling.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 09:11:13 PM

If you search for the Intel pilot study, it is also interesting to note the significant decrease in power consumption.

Can you tell where this power decrease comes from and in what range it lies?

FullFathom5

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:03:32 PM

Air conditioning most likely... maintaining adequate temp gradient between environment and hardware.

http://phys.org/news/2012-09-intel-math-oil-dunk-cooler-servers.html
http://www.datacenterdynamics.com/focus/archive/2012/03/cgg-veritas-uses-liquid-cooled-servers-hpc-environment

Range... would be worth looking at heat production of existing Avalon systems. Need to poke around on forum for that... and electricity cost is another variable. Commercial/industrial rates are typically cheaper than residential.

If you search for the Intel pilot study, it is also interesting to note the significant decrease in power consumption.

Can you tell where this power decrease comes from and in what range it lies?
Bicknellski

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 01:33:31 AM

GREAT INFO there FullFathom...

Love the re-purpose of the heat to get a warm shower brilliant.

turtle83

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 06:39:12 AM

...and when you want to remove the oil... for reselling or relocating...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huGl2hfzL90

Shocked

Bicknellski

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:20:36 AM

Intel Uses Mineral Oil to Cool Servers, Finds Success

By Tuan Mai

SEPTEMBER 5, 2012 10:00 AM - Source: Wired

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Server-Cooling-Hardware-mineral-oil,17348.html

According to Intel, the tested servers only needed another 2 to 3 percent of server power for cooling, down from the typical 50 or 60 percent overhead of standard servers.

jimrome

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 06:54:40 PM

Does one have to build such cases or is it prebuilt to buy somewhere? I probably dont get where to find such things or how they are named.

The 3RU case can be bought from any number of vendors. I went with Metcase's "Combimet" series: http://www.metcase.co.uk/enclosures/combimet19.htm

I'm having parts machined to customize the enclosure to house 24 x K16s in 8 x 3 "blade" rows.

jdape

Activity: 269

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 08:54:24 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 01:36:53 AM by jdape

I have designed and will be offering for sale:

Klondike 16 to 3.5" HDD Universal Adapter Mount (allows horizontal or vertical mounting)
Klondike 16 to PCIE x16 and x8 (maybe x4/x1 if they are strong enough) slot Adapter Mount
Klondike 16 to PCI upper-rail support (like those used in certain 4U rackmount cases).  For example there's an $85 Chenbro 4U case on Newegg that could mount at least 13 K16 boards using 5x 3.5" adapters and 8x PCIE upper rail adapters.

These will be 3D-printed.  I've already printed and tested them.   They work very well.  

Also, might sell 'kits' with I2C comm cables, and PCIE 6 pin power cables for the K16's.

Pics later.   I'd like to know if there's any interest before going too far down this road.

Prices would be cheap.  *very rough guess* $8 per adapter, with $5 shipping in CONUS.  Kits for $12 or $15, bulk discounts, etc.

Fork Networking - VPS, Colocation, Dedicated Servers for Bitcoin & Litecoin. Since 1994! www.forked.net
bassclef

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:59:35 PM

I have designed and will be offering for sale:

Klondike 16 to 3.5" HDD Universal Adapter Mount (allows horizontal or vertical mounting)
Klondike 16 to PCIE x16 and x8 (maybe x4/x1 if they are strong enough) slot Adapter Mount
Klondike 16 to PCI upper-rail support (like those used in certain 4U rackmount cases).  For example there's an $85 Chenbro 4U case on Newegg that could mount at least 13 K16 boards using 5x 3.5" adapters and 8x PCIE upper rail adapters.

These will be 3D-printed.  I've already printed and tested them.   They work very well.   

Also, might sell 'kits' with I2C comm cables, and PCIE 6 pin power cables for the K16's.

Pics later.   I'd like to know if there's any interest before going too far down this road.

Prices would be cheap.  *very rough guess* $5 per adapter, with $5 shipping in CONUS.  Kits for $10 or $15, bulk discounts, etc.

I like the idea of using a 3.5" hdd adapter to fill empty drive bays in my existing pc. Definitely interested.
jdape

Activity: 269

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 01:36:22 AM

Klondike 16 Mounting Adapters here with pictures:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246638.0

Fork Networking - VPS, Colocation, Dedicated Servers for Bitcoin & Litecoin. Since 1994! www.forked.net
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: