Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 02:49:57 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Whoever Invented the Gasoline-Powered Leaf Blower Should Have His Butt Kicked  (Read 4181 times)
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:22:02 AM

Your analogy fails due to the matter of degree.

Then consider lawnmowers, grinders, chainsaws, branch-mulchers and other gasolin or electric powered tools that simplify tasks that might as well be done by hand, and make a bit of noise (preferably outdoors). Not to mention those large stone hammer-drills.

I can consider those, and I can and do accept them. Accepting some does not make another acceptable.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 04:32:08 AM

The chipper/shredder is fine, but the leaf-blower GOES TOO FAR!!!

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:53:22 AM

Funny how in your attempt at sarcasm, you actually capture the truth, and yet you don't understand why.

If you start to think about jobs requiring chippers, chainsaws and jackhammers, you might see the difference.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 05:01:38 AM

http://www.whatdoestheinternetthink.net/

Leaf Blowers

Negative   90%
Positive   8.1%
Indifferent   1.9%

Wheelbarrows

Negative   13.8%
Positive   86.2%
Indifferent   0%

Time to lock this thread! Case closed.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 05:44:00 AM

Funny how in your attempt at sarcasm, you actually capture the truth, and yet you don't understand why.

If you start to think about jobs requiring chippers, chainsaws and jackhammers, you might see the difference.

I have a large number of branches from the recent storm that I could use a chipper for, though I could just haul them off as-is, that seems like a bit of a waste. There's a log and a few stumps that I'll pretty much need to use a chainsaw to clear out an axe would eventually get the job done, but again, a waste of time. If I want to put in a new patio, I'm going to need a jackhammer to remove the old concrete slab. I suppose I could get it done with a sledge, but that's a lot of back-breaking labor. If my yard is covered in leaves, a blower will get it cleaned up a whole lot faster than a rake.

In other words, the jobs that those tools are designed for are all things I might need to do in my own yard. And they are all labor-saving devices.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 06:28:48 AM

I have a large number of branches from the recent storm that I could use a chipper for, though I could just haul them off as-is, that seems like a bit of a waste. There's a log and a few stumps that I'll pretty much need to use a chainsaw to clear out an axe would eventually get the job done, but again, a waste of time. If I want to put in a new patio, I'm going to need a jackhammer to remove the old concrete slab. I suppose I could get it done with a sledge, but that's a lot of back-breaking labor. If my yard is covered in leaves, a blower will get it cleaned up a whole lot faster than a rake.

In other words, the jobs that those tools are designed for are all things I might need to do in my own yard. And they are all labor-saving devices.

You don't get it, even when you need to use the tools at hand. What is the difference between the typical jobs requiring chippers, chainsaws, and jackhammers vs. leaf blowers?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 06:37:42 AM

You don't get it, even when you need to use the tools at hand. What is the difference between the typical jobs requiring chippers, chainsaws, and jackhammers vs. leaf blowers?
Chippers are for turning branches into wood chips, chainsaws are for cutting trees down and logs into manageable size, jackhammers are for breaking up rocks and concrete, and leaf blowers are for moving leaves and grass clippings into piles.

I don't see any consistent differences. They're all fairly laborious chores, which the device in question makes easier.

FirstAscent

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 07:11:52 AM

The differences are obvious. Most jobs utilizing chippers, chainsaws, or jackhammers are one time jobs, not weekly, or even more frequently.

People are much more willing to forgive the disturbance which occurs with one time jobs than regular maintenance type jobs.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 07:19:32 AM

The differences are obvious. Most jobs utilizing chippers, chainsaws, or jackhammers are one time jobs, not weekly, or even more frequently.

People are much more willing to forgive the disturbance which occurs with one time jobs than regular maintenance type jobs.
And people are more likely to use a labor-saving device for jobs that they have to do regularly.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 08:32:13 AM

And people are more likely to use a labor-saving device for jobs that they have to do regularly.
Of course, you have to decrease the amount of time that you spend working.

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 01:48:12 PM

This is comedy at its best. ROFLMFAO.

Like jackass, going into a toilet store, does his duty.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 01:52:28 PM

I wonder if that Mexican was related to the one I saw at McDonald's the other day, constantly scratching his balls with plastic gloves protecting his hands while he prepared my sandwich.

Normally I have to pay extra for that. Lucky.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 01:58:16 PM

I wonder if that Mexican was related to the one I saw at McDonald's the other day, constantly scratching his balls with plastic gloves protecting his hands while he prepared my sandwich.

Normally I have to pay extra for that. Lucky.
I'd rather not get lucky in that way.

FirstAscent

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 03:54:02 PM

It doesn't change the fact that people are very annoyed by, specifically, leaf blowers, and often don't find the regular disturbance they cause to be justified.

Missing the point again, I see.

Really, I find it rather funny that you can't find the closer analogy to the leaf blower. It's the gas powered lawn mower. And yet, even that analogy fails completely. Why? Because no matter how close the analogy gets, it doesn't change the simple fact: People accept lawn mowers. But they don't really accept leaf blowers. You can throw your analysis at the situation all you want, but you can't change those facts.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 04:43:29 PM

It doesn't change the fact that people are very annoyed by, specifically, leaf blowers, and often don't find the regular disturbance they cause to be justified.
By "people," I assume you mean those who have no input on the decision to hire a lawn crew, or what tools that lawn crew uses.

Those who do have input clearly do accept it, since it gets used so frequently.

Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 07:29:07 PM

I would assume that leafblowers are a once/twice/trice a year thing most places. Using it at a regular basis would be misuse of an excellent tool for it's job.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
Tonko

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:55:48 PM

I would assume that leafblowers are a once/twice/trice a year thing most places. Using it at a regular basis would be misuse of an excellent tool for it's job.

I don't know what planet is that?! Must be really quiet there.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1013

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 11:38:37 PM

I thought they were like ankle monitors, something DHS made certain people use so if they ever wanted to they could track them down quickly and get them to the polling stations.

FirstAscent

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:39:13 AM

Exactly. It looks like Malawi is in agreement with me on principle. He's just short of some knowledge about the real world.
Malawi

Activity: 224

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 11:29:03 AM

Exactly. It looks like Malawi is in agreement with me on principle. He's just short of some knowledge about the real world.

If that principle is that leafblowers are a great tool for it's job, but that they can be overused, then yes.

I tend to spend most of my time in the real world and at the same planet as the rest, and I live in an area where most people have a fairly large garden. But I'm not really bothered when someone fires up their chainsaw, leafblower or whatnot - its part of life.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: