Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 11:42:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Whoever Invented the Gasoline-Powered Leaf Blower Should Have His Butt Kicked  (Read 4173 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 07:44:31 PM

Funny how those who can't support their position with strength, conviction, facts, data and sensibility must resort to arguing about whether one should discuss a thing when discussing a subject.
It is funny, isn't it? So, why don't you stop?

I will stop, because you haven't presented anything that makes any sense, and which does not need to be refuted.
I'm glad you've finally realized the untenability of your position.

No. I just don't see anything of value in your posts here. You have an opinion, but no coherent argument.
I do have a coherent argument:
More guns, less crime.
Less guns (stricter gun laws), more crime - and especially gun crime.
http://www.amazon.com/More-Guns-Less-Crime-Understanding/dp/0226493660

Ah. Finally you've made a coherent statement. But not a coherent case.

You're brainwashed and deluded if you think that after allowing 300 million guns in this country, raising that number even higher (and higher), will solve the problem.
Not at all. You see, I understand that guns don't commit crime, leafblowers don't wake you up on sunday morning, spoons don't make you fat, pencils don't make mistakes, and computers don't hack websites.

I see you're back to derailing the argument by trying to correlate the fact that the object known as a gun is mentioned in the discussion, and thus the argument made by the one you're debating can't have any validity.

How about this: if guns don't have any effect, then you don't need any.
Tsk.. I never said they had no effect. I said that they do not commit crimes. Please learn to read.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:50:29 PM

Funny how those who can't support their position with strength, conviction, facts, data and sensibility must resort to arguing about whether one should discuss a thing when discussing a subject.
It is funny, isn't it? So, why don't you stop?

I will stop, because you haven't presented anything that makes any sense, and which does not need to be refuted.
I'm glad you've finally realized the untenability of your position.

No. I just don't see anything of value in your posts here. You have an opinion, but no coherent argument.
I do have a coherent argument:
More guns, less crime.
Less guns (stricter gun laws), more crime - and especially gun crime.
http://www.amazon.com/More-Guns-Less-Crime-Understanding/dp/0226493660

Ah. Finally you've made a coherent statement. But not a coherent case.

You're brainwashed and deluded if you think that after allowing 300 million guns in this country, raising that number even higher (and higher), will solve the problem.
Not at all. You see, I understand that guns don't commit crime, leafblowers don't wake you up on sunday morning, spoons don't make you fat, pencils don't make mistakes, and computers don't hack websites.

I see you're back to derailing the argument by trying to correlate the fact that the object known as a gun is mentioned in the discussion, and thus the argument made by the one you're debating can't have any validity.

How about this: if guns don't have any effect, then you don't need any.
Tsk.. I never said they had no effect. I said that they do not commit crimes. Please learn to read.

Did I say they commit crimes? No, I did not. Thus another pointless remark on your part.

Regarding their effect: since you argue that it's the person and not the gun, then the gun must not be an important part of the equation. That is indeed what you're arguing. Thus, you don't need the gun.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 07:55:40 PM

Did I say they commit crimes?

There is a simple truth here. Guns, an object, which there are 300 million of in this country, need to be reduced significantly in number, not increased.

You argue that fewer guns results in fewer crimes. I argue that fewer criminals results in fewer crimes.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:03:26 PM

There is a simple truth here. Guns, an object, which there are 300 million of in this country, need to be reduced significantly in number, not increased.

You argue that fewer guns results in fewer crimes. I argue that fewer criminals results in fewer crimes.

So it's only the criminal and not the tool which determines crime?

Answer this question: if 300 million guns in this country are not enough, how many will it take? 500 million? One billion? 5 billion?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 08:15:02 PM

Does a hammer build a house?
Do cars drive drunk?

FirstAscent

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:21:43 PM

Does a hammer build a house?
Do cars drive drunk?

Stop engaging in the pointless cliched meme driven drivel and think for yourself.

Do cars get crashed into people while driven by drunks when cars aren't driven by drunks?

Answer the question in my last post.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 08:35:05 PM

What's the adult US population?

FirstAscent

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:44:16 PM

If you need that number to answer the question, then hunt down the number and then answer the question.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:46:55 PM

It is the worst thing imaginable.

The apartment building I just moved from, and one of the reasons why... one was because of the leaf blower!

2 rotations with the lawn mower, 1 weed-eater a trimmer, and the fucking leaf blower on my window at 9-10 am.. seriously nothing better to do at 10am than wake everyone up 9 times <.<
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 08:49:26 PM

If you need that number to answer the question, then hunt down the number and then answer the question.
You're a moron.

FirstAscent

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:53:35 PM

You're a moron.

You were going to answer how many guns would reduce crime in the U.S. since you stated that you believe 300 million guns are not enough. But you can't answer it, can you? I believe less guns (much less than 300 million) is more appropriate, so I can't speculate as to what absurd number you think is appropriate, thus I asked you to provide the number.

Instead, all you can do is resort to insults.
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:03:31 PM

We've already been over chainsaws and how people aren't bothered by them. And we're clear that you think frequent regular use of a leafblower is overuse. It's also a fact that leafblowers are actually used frequently and regularly, often once a week or biweekly in suburban residential areas of single family detached homes at nearly every home in which a gardening crew is hired (which is a large percentage of homes), and up to twice a week in condo and apartment complexes and light industrial complexes and technology parks.

That is not what I have experienced. Maybee there are cultural differences on this?

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 09:05:53 PM

You were going to answer how many guns would reduce crime in the U.S. since you stated that you believe 300 million guns are not enough. But you can't answer it, can you? I believe less guns (much less than 300 million) is more appropriate, so I can't speculate as to what absurd number you think is appropriate, thus I asked you to provide the number.
Think for a second. It's not how many guns there are. it's who has them.

If you say there should be fewer, how do you propose to reduce the number?

FirstAscent

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:39:42 PM

Think for a second. It's not how many guns there are. it's who has them.

Regardless of who has them, the more there are, the more criminals will have them. Maybe you're the one who should be thinking hard about the path a gun takes from manufacturer to criminal. Furthermore, maybe you should think about why each one of those paths was initiated.

Gun permits are issued at the federal level only, where one new gun permit is issued for every three guns confiscated, or received in gun buy back programs. Nothing else. Nothing more. No exceptions.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 09:49:07 PM

Regardless of who has them, the more there are, the more criminals will have them. Maybe you're the one who should be thinking hard about the path a gun takes from manufacturer to criminal. Furthermore, maybe you should think about why each one of those paths was initiated.
Trust me, any criminal who wants a gun can get one. Gun laws only prevent law-abiding people from getting guns, or carrying the one they own, making a criminal's job easier.

Gun permits are issued at the federal level only, where one new gun permit is issued for every three guns confiscated, or received in gun buy back programs. Nothing else. Nothing more. No exceptions.
And what about criminals, who by definition don't follow laws? They'll get (buy illegally, steal, or make) guns regardless of permit or not.

FirstAscent

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:55:01 PM

Trust me, any criminal who wants a gun can get one. Gun laws only prevent law-abiding people from getting guns, or carrying the one they own, making a criminal's job easier.

And what about criminals, who by definition don't follow laws? They'll get (buy illegally, steal, or make) guns regardless of permit or not.

Both of your statements here fail to acknowledge the path a gun takes from the manufacturer to criminal. Furthermore, the reason a criminal can get a gun so easily is because there are 300 million of them. That number needs to be reduced, which is what I advocate. Not increased, which is what you advocate.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 10:12:47 PM

Both of your statements here fail to acknowledge the path a gun takes from the manufacturer to criminal.
Typically, a gun is stolen from a legal owner, then sold on the black market.

Your plan ignores a simple law of economics: Supply and demand. Demand (particularly from criminals) won't be reduced by your policies, but the supply will. Coupled with a price floor (your buy-back program), you'll essentially drive a market for stolen guns. The black market price for a gun will skyrocket, perhaps even to the point where criminals are willing to take the risk of knocking over a cop for his gun, to say nothing of the ones in his cruiser.

This will, of course, result in reprisals, and even more violence on the streets. You thought the drug war was bad? Just wait til you see the gun war. (and that's without the inevitable corruption, and supposedly "destroyed" guns showing back up on the streets.)

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3045

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 03:41:57 AM

The black market price for a gun will skyrocket, perhaps even to the point where criminals are willing to take the risk of knocking over a cop for his gun, to say nothing of the ones in his cruiser.
There's no "perhaps" about it. Here in Australia, I remember recently a police car was stolen out of a parking lot and found abandoned a few days later - minus the guns. Guns mysteriously "disappearing" from military bases is also far more common than it should be. Naturally, the gun control lobby firmly believes we can solve these problem with tighter regulation. Roll Eyes

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 03:52:48 AM

The black market price for a gun will skyrocket, perhaps even to the point where criminals are willing to take the risk of knocking over a cop for his gun, to say nothing of the ones in his cruiser.
There's no "perhaps" about it. Here in Australia, I remember recently a police car was stolen out of a parking lot and found abandoned a few days later - minus the guns. Guns mysteriously "disappearing" from military bases is also far more common than it should be. Naturally, the gun control lobby firmly believes we can solve these problem with tighter regulation. Roll Eyes
Well, there you go.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 03:55:22 AM

I love real world examples.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: