Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:59:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help with the bitcoin gold fork  (Read 426 times)
hughesy94 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:41:39 AM

Hi guys,

Im new to this and looking for some help! Ive sold all my alts back into BTC ready for the upcoming hard fork into Bitcoin gold, but do we have to hold them as BTC until accounts are credited with BTG in November? Or will it register how much we'll get on the 25th Oct once the fork happens, regardless of what we do with our BTC after that? Probably a stupid question i know!

Cheers,
Alex  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2017, 11:56:55 AM

you have to have bitcoin when the fork happens. the time is 99% of the time a block height. for bitcoin gold it is not yet set. they have said it will be on 25th of October but things may not be ready by then.

also there is no "accounts" in bitcoin to be credited with bitcoin gold. you have private keys when you use a bitcoin wallet which you can use to claim bitcoin gold with. you have to import them into the wallet that they team releases to claim them. you get 1:1 amount of BTG.

and no it doesn't matter what you do after that specific time.

--looking for signature--
MARK 777

Activity: 52
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 12:08:47 PM

Wht you need BTG only collect moreof bitcoin and keep hold price Keep rise

New Glod fork need more time to have it’s effect so that if you not know what you do not do   
hughesy94 (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 12:43:26 PM

you have to have bitcoin when the fork happens. the time is 99% of the time a block height. for bitcoin gold it is not yet set. they have said it will be on 25th of October but things may not be ready by then.

also there is no "accounts" in bitcoin to be credited with bitcoin gold. you have private keys when you use a bitcoin wallet which you can use to claim bitcoin gold with. you have to import them into the wallet that they team releases to claim them. you get 1:1 amount of BTG.

Thanks for the reply! I use Bittrex and assumed is was going to work like the Bitcoin cash fork, where they make a BTG wallet once it goes live and it automatically credits you with a 1:1 ratio of BTG for how much BTC you had when it forked?
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2017, 01:10:56 PM

Thanks for the reply! I use Bittrex and assumed is was going to work like the Bitcoin cash fork, where they make a BTG wallet once it goes live and it automatically credits you with a 1:1 ratio of BTG for how much BTC you had when it forked?

it may be like that too. even if not with bittrex, there are other exchanges that may do it.
but the difference between BTG and BCH is that bitcoin cash was more popular (at least they made a lot more noise in the social media) and they were more vocal and accessible. i feel like bitcoin gold devs are not communicating with the community that much!

what you can do is check back around the time fork is scheduled to be. meaning between October 20-24 (the fork is on 25) and see if bittrex (or any other exchanges) released any statement about BTG. they will most probably do it soon. and reading that you can see if they will or won't give you BTG 1:1

--looking for signature--
hughesy94 (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 02:02:35 PM

it may be like that too. even if not with bittrex, there are other exchanges that may do it.
but the difference between BTG and BCH is that bitcoin cash was more popular (at least they made a lot more noise in the social media) and they were more vocal and accessible. i feel like bitcoin gold devs are not communicating with the community that much!

what you can do is check back around the time fork is scheduled to be. meaning between October 20-24 (the fork is on 25) and see if bittrex (or any other exchanges) released any statement about BTG. they will most probably do it soon. and reading that you can see if they will or won't give you BTG 1:1

Sweet! thanks for your help!
Gaaara

Activity: 1106
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 04:01:24 PM

That's true, Bitcoin Cash was more popular and lots of people talks about it, does that indicate that we can't expect anything more regarding Bitcoin Gold? I've heard some was ignoring it so what was the reason, if Bitcoin Cash was popular and ended up that way what will happen to Bitcoin Gold then can we expect anything from it?

MOCKTAIL  -  THE  FIRST  SEMI-FUNGIBLE  TOKEN  ON  BSE 
        WEBSITE        WHITEPAPER        SMART CONTRACT        TWITTER        FACEBOOK        TELEGRAM        ANN

Ben.Lock

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 04:43:37 PM

Hi guys,
Do you think Bitcoin gold price will start higher than Bitcoin cash?

Is the community behind Bitcoin gold is strong? Do you think it can hold the price high for a while? (Bitcoin cash is 70% down from the initial trade price)

Lendoit ▮ P2P Cross Border Lending ▮ Lendoit
All You Need Is Loan
▬▬▬▬▬[TGE on December 2017]▬▬▬▬▬
devonbuy

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 11:57:33 AM

If anyone is wondering how to extract bitcoin gold from your Ledger Nano S safely, you may refer to this guide here at https://www.coinpurveyor.com/how-to/how-to-claim-bitcoin-gold-from-ledger-nano-s/. This method only applies if you have bitcoin stored in your hardware wallet before the forking date last year.
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 12:03:45 PM

This question was made last year and I guess the creator of this topic have already have its questions answered. But anyway I will explain what will happen to bitcoin after the bitcoin fork with bitcoin gold. Here is what have happened: let us say you have  1 btc then the fork happened then that means that you will have 1 btc (bitcoin core) and 1 btg (bitcoin gold). Its like duplication, cloning or splitting with the same equivalent amount but with different value.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: