Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:14:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PC/Android/IOS wallet with fingerprint encryption?  (Read 581 times)
Thekool1s (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 06:41:43 AM

Hey guys, i want to ask if there is any wallet software which encrypts the wallet.dat file with our fingerprint data, so that instead of typing a password which can be compromised by a keylogger, that wallet software should use our fingerprint data and some how use that data to encrypt the wallet.dat file and it should ask for the fingerprint to send btcs etc. Do let me know if any wallet like this exists or not. If it doesn't i will try to make one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 07:00:26 AM

I'm not aware of any wallet on the platforms you mentioned, probably simply due to the fact that there will be a small userbase, because phones that have fingerprint sensors in them are expensive and not everyone have them, a PC can't read fingerprints unless you buy something else too. There is however Case wallet (a hardware wallet) which does that: https://choosecase.com/ but It's sold out, so you may want to contact them to ask them If they will create more wallets.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Thekool1s (OP)
Legendary

Change is in your hands

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 07:07:37 AM

I'm not aware of any wallet on the platforms you mentioned, probably simply due to the fact that there will be a small userbase, because phones that have fingerprint sensors in them are expensive and not everyone have them, a PC can't read fingerprints unless you buy something else too. There is however Case wallet (a hardware wallet) which does that: https://choosecase.com/ but It's sold out, so you may want to contact them to ask them If they will create more wallets.

yeah i have looked around and found about case wallets, but they are sold out as you said. But i am looking for my laptop(that's what i meant by PC). It has a fingerprint reader on it, I agree the userbase is small but it can be a game changer, same thing can be applied for face lock. I will look in to it and try to make one in my free time.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 04:42:48 PM

Hey guys, i want to ask if there is any wallet software which encrypts the wallet.dat file with our fingerprint data, so that instead of typing a password which can be compromised by a keylogger, that wallet software should use our fingerprint data and some how use that data to encrypt the wallet.dat file and it should ask for the fingerprint to send btcs etc. Do let me know if any wallet like this exists or not. If it doesn't i will try to make one.

Why isn't this a really bad idea?

I remember some pretty rational discussions when fingerprint ID appeared on Samsung and Apple IOS concerning the dangers of They getting Our fingerprint data.

But here it's worse. It's not the phone or machine operating system, but an app that's getting, and intending to use, the fingerprint data.

There are other problems. I have seen a number of fingerprint scanners that didn't work reliably over time. One usually winds up working if you clean the scan surface. The other works maybe 1/10 of the time and basically is junk.

spunkybd

Activity: 260
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 07:02:24 PM

Bad idea to begin with. Your finger print is not protected from the US government, while a password is. Same with any biometric devices, such as eyes.
Thekool1s (OP)
Legendary

Change is in your hands

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Bad idea to begin with. Your finger print is not protected from the US government, while a password is. Same with any biometric devices, such as eyes.

Well you can use finger print as an additional security layer, just like 2FA Wink I didn't say it has to be just finger print or face lock.

Why isn't this a really bad idea?

I remember some pretty rational discussions when fingerprint ID appeared on Samsung and Apple IOS concerning the dangers of They getting Our fingerprint data.

But here it's worse. It's not the phone or machine operating system, but an app that's getting, and intending to use, the fingerprint data.

There are other problems. I have seen a number of fingerprint scanners that didn't work reliably over time. One usually winds up working if you clean the scan surface. The other works maybe 1/10 of the time and basically is junk.

I am planning to make it open source, so you don't have to worry about app getting the fingerprint data, on new devices the fingerprint readers are quick and work almost 99% of the time, As for laptop's one may buy a quality fingerprint reader.
miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 08:29:04 PM

I agree with this, your fingerprint is stored in several government databases and that information will surely go out anytime soon and even if it is not shared publicly still the government will have that data.

As spunkybd said, it is better to have YOUR own password, something off the government grid.

good luck
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 11:07:58 PM

Well you can use finger print as an additional security layer, just like 2FA Wink I didn't say it has to be just finger print or face lock.

Yes that's certainly true.

Something you have - something you are - something you know.
AtraxPool

Activity: 84
Merit: 12

Block Hunting

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 12:13:08 AM

https://www.amazon.com/QX-Electronics-Fingerprint-arduino-fingerprint/dp/B0718Y1YGL?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0718Y1YGL

You could build your own wallet secured on this or a raspberry pi then use the fingerprint kit to gain access to the wallet.

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Fingerprint-Sensor-Library

This document has a lot of good information regarding

Implementation of Arduino based Enhanced Fingerprint Biometric System for Secured Data Exchange

https://www.ripublication.com/ijcir17/ijcirv13n8_21.pdf

■ BLOCKHUNT ■ «  COMMUNITY BLOCKHUNTING - »  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2207363.0
Viiiii

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 12:19:54 AM

Well you can use finger print as an additional security layer, just like 2FA Wink I didn't say it has to be just finger print or face lock

Ya totally agree and crazy love that idea, a universal wallet with atomic signature and fingerprint 2FA. Sure exchanges and other wallets profit from all the different one, but thats why i am looking forward to Pillar Wallet. Will see if they can bring a change in that topic.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: