Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 04:32:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question:  My Investment portfolio is ( click all that apply )
Bitcoin - 152 (38.7%)
Bitcoin Stocks  (S.DICE or HIM or ... ) - 39 (9.9%)
LTC or other altcoin - 67 (17%)
Gold Or silver - 38 (9.7%)
Real Estate(Tv,Car,guns,ammo,food) - 46 (11.7%)
all of they above - 7 (1.8%)
Other - 44 (11.2%)
Total Voters: 169

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [poll] - My Investment portfolio  (Read 2323 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 12:34:53 AM

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 12:36:20 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2013, 01:04:16 AM by adamstgBit

what other catgory on the face of the plant is even worth putting your money into these days anyway?

Bitcoin Cool

i added Real estate, because i think Real estate is a necessary investment for EVERYONE to look to acquire at least 1 of.... everyone needs a nice home to live in
what other investment are good?
post your comments below!

FoBoT

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:06:05 AM

you can either include guns/ammo/food with real estate or it could be seperate
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 01:10:36 AM

I don't view my gold/silver coins as an investment, just something that should help when things get tough.

Other than that I don't invest, I speculate.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 01:23:04 AM

right

Real Estate(Tv,Car,guns,ammo,food)

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 01:25:39 AM

I don't view my gold/silver coins as an investment, just something that should help when things get tough.

Other than that I don't invest, I speculate.

I own some random silver/gold pieces myself, to me everything i buy kind of is an investment.. because i'm poor   Cheesy

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:47:29 AM

BTC, USD, CAD. That is it.

I do not like:
Stocks (overdue for a crash)
Bonds (really overdue for a crash)
Real Estate (Still has a way to go down, in particular in Canada - Vancouver)
Gold (Short term down plus I already have a good Austrian position in BTC anyway)
Silver (Also going down)

I would consider:

LTC
Short position in stocks a short ETF or possibly a short position in Apple or Monsanto. (I see these as a good choice for a bear looking for an ethical investment. Basically a double negative play).

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 01:59:08 AM

I do not like:
Gold (Short term down plus I already have a good Austrian position in BTC anyway)
Silver (Also going down)

I would consider:

LTC
Short position in stocks a short ETF or possibly a short position in Apple or Monsanto. (I see these as a good choice for a bear looking for an ethical investment. Basically a double negative play).

Real Estate never really goes down..... it might be in a bit of a bubble but in Real Estate terms 20% overvalued is a bubble, in the long run you're sure to make 50% even if you move around alot; why?? because inflation....

I strongly recommend everyone buy some Real Estate. living in an apartment is fine... but a nice house is just better, your not pissing away rent money, and you pay taxes to a government of your choice, here in canada our government realizes that there is room for improvement and is always looking for the best ways to enhance quality of life for all citizens

MOVE TO CANADA! CANADIAN GOVERNMENT SAYS BITCOIN IS A OK!! Grin

ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:16:48 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2013, 02:29:34 AM by ArticMine

I do not like:
Silver (Also going down)

I would consider:

LTC

Real Estate never really goes down..... it might be in a bit of a bubble but in Real Estate terms 20% overvalued is a bubble, in the long run you're sure to make 50% even if you move around alot; why?? because inflation....

I strongly recommend everyone buy some Real Estate. living in an apartment is fine... but a nice house is just better, your not pissing away rent money, and you pay taxes to a government of your choice, here in canada our government realizes that there is room for improvement and is always looking for the best ways to enhance quality of life for all citizens

When it comes to real estate owning one's own home is neutral, renting is being short and owning rental property over and above one's home or more than one unit if one is renting is being long. The trouble with real estate is that it is typically heavily leveraged. A house with say 10% down can actually be much riskier than even BTC because one can easily end up with negative equity. Now if one is talking about real estate with well over 50% equity then yes this can be a safe investment. A portfolio of 50% BTC and 50% Government of Canada T-Bills will out perform over time real estate and assets such as stocks, gold, bonds etc., with way less risk.

I am currently renting so technically I am short real estate.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 02:41:39 AM

I do not like:
Silver (Also going down)

I would consider:

LTC

When it comes to real estate owning one's own home is neutral, renting is being short and owning rental property over and above one's home or more than one unit if one is renting is being long. The trouble with real estate is that it is typically heavily leveraged. A house with say 10% down can actually be much riskier than even BTC because one can easily end up with negative equity. Now if one is talking about real estate with well over 50% equity then yes this can be a safe investment. A portfolio of 50% BTC and 50% Government of Canada T-Bills will out perform over time real estate and assets such as stocks, gold, bonds etc., with way less risk.

Canada tries hard to be open minded and tolerant. We May be americanized like mad, but we are still a proud people, technically the queen makes or breaks the law here, but we all know its up to the people. GO CANADA, BUY ALL THE BITCOINS!

the bubble popped dude... wtf are you waiting for??? get a girl get a dog make some kids and Love life!!!! BUY BUY BUY!

its not as bad as some people would make you believe

notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:59:12 AM

the bubble popped dude... wtf are you waiting for??? get a girl get a dog make some kids and Love life!!!! BUY BUY BUY!

Disclaimer: I recently purchased my first home, so I believe/hope it won't get too much worse.

The Federal Reserve is directly propping up the mortgage market.  We're not out of the clear until financing for the market can stand on it's own.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 03:02:14 AM

right

Real Estate(Tv,Car,guns,ammo,food)

I'm not sure I'd include TV in there... Those things depreciate way faster than even fiat.

ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 03:26:13 AM

Disclaimer: I recently purchased my first home, so I believe/hope it won't get too much worse.

The Federal Reserve is directly propping up the mortgage market.  We're not out of the clear until financing for the market can stand on it's own.

The real risk with real estate particularly in Canada is a rise in interest rates that will push many home buyers right out of the market. It will also place many who gambled with floating mortgages in a very dangerous position particularly if they also are heavily leveraged. This will force prices down in the short term as the weak hands are forced out via foreclosures. What will force this is that the central banks will sooner of later have to back off from quantitative easing. "All cash. No subjects. For clear title" when the seller is facing foreclosure is the way to buy real estate and if one holds on to one's BTC this can easily happen in the next few years. The "cash" will be CAD, BTC or a combination of both.

Now if one goes into real estate for the long term say 50% or more equity and long term (over 5 years for financing the balance) then yes buying one's home now can make a lot of sense. It all depends on the personal circumstances.

dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:41:05 AM

35% physical silver
32.5% EUR
30% physical gold
2 % BTC
0.4% LTC
0.1% PPC/NMC/...
bitcodo

Activity: 509
Merit: 500

Can't upload avatar

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:22:51 AM

Little of gold, silver and stocks; building land; euros  Huh

On friday I bought farming land and wood. This will be for food (we spend a lot of money on eco/bio food) and for fire&building wood.
I may even get a (crazy) rabbit and goat.

I'm considering buying a flat and i really like Excalibur crossbows (not for rabbit and goat, but for wild animals in wood).
notme
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:01:22 AM

The Federal Reserve is directly propping up the mortgage market.  We're not out of the clear until financing for the market can stand on it's own.

The real risk with real estate particularly in Canada is a rise in interest rates that will push many home buyers right out of the market. It will also place many who gambled with floating mortgages in a very dangerous position particularly if they also are heavily leveraged. This will force prices down in the short term as the weak hands are forced out via foreclosures. What will force this is that the central banks will sooner of later have to back off from quantitative easing. "All cash. No subjects. For clear title" when the seller is facing foreclosure is the way to buy real estate and if one holds on to one's BTC this can easily happen in the next few years. The "cash" will be CAD, BTC or a combination of both.

Now if one goes into real estate for the long term say 50% or more equity and long term (over 5 years for financing the balance) then yes buying one's home now can make a lot of sense. It all depends on the personal circumstances.

Right.  Here in the US we have the Fed directly holding down mortgage rates.  When this policy changes we might have some trouble, although obviously the hope is that the economy will improve in the mean time.

I bought my house to live in.  My fiance will be in school here at least 4 more years and we've already been living in our new home a year.  There is a good chance we may stick around here after school, or possibly rent it out to my younger siblings who will be getting close to college age by the time we're both done.  The only debt tied to the house is about 50% of the home's value in a loan from my fiance's parents.  There is no interest or payments while we are in school, so it was a no brainer compared to dumping $7000 a year into rent between the two of us like we did before.

ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:33:14 PM

Some of the reasons I am a bear when it comes to Canadian real estate.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/06/05/business-oecd-housing.html

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:36:08 PM

Why do you hold bonds and especially treasuries? It isn't 1981 Smiley
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 10:30:18 PM

Holy shit you are a moron! Did you read the news the past few years how real estate has been in a huge bubble?

I speak from personal experience, real estate can go down. I bought a house in 2005, sold it in 2012 for a 70% loss. FML

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 11:21:13 PM

I think the Permanent Portfolio (self-balancing diversification over stocks/debt/commodity/currency) is a great idea. I think this because I'm a fool who has lost plenty of my savings by betting on this or that stock - I'd rather have a fool-resistant strategy than trust my naïve impression of a "good bet". Also, properly configured, the PP loadout can be used to profit on volatility at every time scale.

That said, I haven't yet moved into the broad ETFs called for by PP strategies, mainly because I am waiting for a good opportunity to exit those bad bets.

My current holdings are about:
$10k in BTC (mostly appreciated from when BTC prices were lower)
$15k in USD (most of it sitting on Mt. Gox or Bitfinex)
$12k in stocks (one tech stock that has been doing poorly in the market despite very good fundamentals, one commodities stock that has pretty good dividends, plus some minor ETF positions)
$10k in REITs (originally chosen to preserve my buying power in case of home market recovery)

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: