Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:54:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A case study in entry-level mining  (Read 53518 times)
andylondon

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 02:14:44 PM

Thanks for the update.

what happened around the 15th for the earnings to dip?

the hash rate remained stable, is this just random variation in difficulty?

Andy.
LogicalUnit (OP)

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 05:09:30 AM

Thanks for the update.

Andy.

As far as I know, difficulty doesn't vary randomly. It increases (and theoretically decreases) depending on the hashing power of the network. As the hashrate rises, difficulty goes up, reducing the return. As time goes on, my miners will become less and less effective, making it very hard to achieve ROI.

I now have to decide whether to a) buy more miners to keep up with rising difficulty; b) cut my losses and sell the rig; c) continue mining at 1.67GH/s.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:29:06 PM

Thanks for the update.

Andy.

As far as I know, difficulty doesn't vary randomly. It increases (and theoretically decreases) depending on the hashing power of the network. As the hashrate rises, difficulty goes up, reducing the return. As time goes on, my miners will become less and less effective, making it very hard to achieve ROI.

I now have to decide whether to a) buy more miners to keep up with rising difficulty; b) cut my losses and sell the rig; c) continue mining at 1.67GH/s.

just to be clear, difficulty rising as a result of Hashrate increase stablizes the return, it does not reduce it. the ever increasing hashrate reduces your return.
LogicalUnit (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 01:59:58 AM

just to be clear, difficulty rising as a result of Hashrate increase stablizes the return, it does not reduce it. the ever increasing hashrate reduces your return.

Thanks for the clarification.

Here is a page on difficulty I found helpful
LogicalUnit (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 03:51:52 AM

Had my first stability issue for over a month just now. cgminer was detecting ten AMUs instead of five. I unplugged/plugged the USB hub, and Quit and resumed cgminer with sudo screen -r, and that seemed to fix it.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 02:35:11 PM

Have you considered using bgminer?  I'm running it with my Block Erupters, and it seems a lot more stable.  I'm running Windows 7 off a 40W MiniITX machine that's also my workstation.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 06:37:12 PM

Have you considered using bgminer?  I'm running it with my Block Erupters, and it seems a lot more stable.  I'm running Windows 7 off a 40W MiniITX machine that's also my workstation.

he's using a raspbery Pi and linux. your experience doesn't correlate to his. cgminer works great on linux.
flipper

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:04:04 PM

Had my first stability issue for over a month just now. cgminer was detecting ten AMUs instead of five. I unplugged/plugged the USB hub, and Quit and resumed cgminer with sudo screen -r, and that seemed to fix it.

Have you consider increasing your cooling capacity? I heard these usb miners can run pretty hot.
LogicalUnit (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 01:30:37 AM

Have you consider increasing your cooling capacity? I heard these usb miners can run pretty hot.

They run hot indeed. Without cooling, they are too hot to touch. A few hours before the instability, I noticed that my fan was caught on something and had stopped spinning. This *could* be the cause of the problem. I'll keep an eye on it and keep you updated.
batt01

Activity: 279

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 02:45:48 AM

This thread caused me to dust off my R Pi and basically duplicated your setup. Currently running exact same hardware, same hub. One diff is I have a small usb fan. Temp is a chilly 39c. This is likely to go up, when more stick are added. Only have one BE at the moment. I have five more on the way. Just got my tracking numbers today. I was going to buy some mining shares with the money, but this is much more fun.  I will buy some mining shares next month. I like Addiction and LabRat.

Thanks

xTachibana

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 07:05:43 AM

any new updates logical Cheesy? how many bitcoins have you mined so far? and how many btc at the current market price of  85-88 btc to usd (around 95 AUD) to get your ROI

「   B e a x y   」   THE ALL-IN-ONE CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
[ WHITEPAPER ]              Instant Deposit                   24/7 Support                    Referral Program              [ LIGHTPAPER ]
ANN THREAD     ●     BOUNTY THREAD     ●     FACEBOOK     ●   TWITTER     ●     TELEGRAM
LogicalUnit (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 08:04:43 AM

Mini-update:

I currently have 0.61370383 BTC balance in my primary mining pool, and 0.00073648 BTC balance in my secondary. The Certificate of Deposit will mature on 2013-08-06, and my return will be 1.02393825 BTC from a principal of 1.005 BTC. The plan is to pay out and reinvest everything when the CD matures.
xTachibana

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 07:17:24 PM

thats over a dollar from interest :O not bad considering its only 1 btc investment XD

「   B e a x y   」   THE ALL-IN-ONE CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
[ WHITEPAPER ]              Instant Deposit                   24/7 Support                    Referral Program              [ LIGHTPAPER ]
ANN THREAD     ●     BOUNTY THREAD     ●     FACEBOOK     ●   TWITTER     ●     TELEGRAM
bondfire

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 07:18:39 PM

Thanks for your post, I used this to determine that the DLINK DUB-H7 will indeed work.  I was able to get a POC rig working with a Raspberry Pi, 1 ASIC stick, a DLINK DUB-H7 and an Arctic Breeze fan.  Works like a charm!

Since then I've ordered 10 more ASIC sticks, another DLINK hub and another fan.  I'm planning to daisy chain the Hubs together and hopfully run 6 devices on the second Hub.  Hoping it will support 6 sticks and a fan...

Here is the diagram of the plan.  Let me know what you think.
Code:
                    +-----+              +-------+
                    |     |              |       v
        +-----------+-+   | +------------+-+   +------------+
        |DLINK DUB-H7 |   | | DLINK DUB-H7 |   |Raspberry Pi|
        |-------------|   | |--------------|   |------------|
        |             |   | |              |   |            |
        |1 2 3 4 5 6 7|   | |1 2 3 4 5 6  7|   | 3.5GHash/s |
        +-------------+   | +--------------+   +------------+
         + + + + + + +    |  ^ + + + +  + +
         A A A A A A |    |  | A A A A  A |
         S S S S S S |    +--+ S S S S  S |
         I I I I I I |         I I I I  I |
         C C C C C C |         C C C C  C |
         + + + + + + |         + + + +  + |
         1 2 3 4 5 6 |         7 8 9 10 11|
                     |                    |
               +-FAN-+              +-FAN-+
batt01

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 08:21:53 PM

D-Link does work nicely with the R Pi. I have six BEs and a USB fan, working without issue.

Best Share
MinePeon Uptime
13 hr 59 sec
Miner Uptime
13 hr 36 sec

LogicalUnit (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:07:46 PM

Since then I've ordered 10 more ASIC sticks, another DLINK hub and another fan.  I'm planning to daisy chain the Hubs together and hopfully run 6 devices on the second Hub.  Hoping it will support 6 sticks and a fan...

The d-link outputs up to 3A which is enough to power 6 ASICs, but not an additional fan. It's also very physically difficult to get the fan to fit when it's plugged into the hub. I recommend getting an extra USB power supply for the fan.
bondfire

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:10:10 PM

D-Link does work nicely with the R Pi. I have six BEs and a USB fan, working without issue.
Awesome! That's exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks!
bondfire

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:16:30 PM

The d-link outputs up to 3A which is enough to power 6 ASICs, but not an additional fan. It's also very physically difficult to get the fan to fit when it's plugged into the hub. I recommend getting an extra USB power supply for the fan.
It looks like batt01 is using 6 sticks AND a fan.
batt01

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:17:44 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2013, 09:29:29 PM by batt01

My D-Link will run  with 6 block erupters and a usb fan. However I  did notice that if I rebooted the R Pi with the 6 BEs and fan, only 5 of the erupter would start up. I would have to pull and reinsert the 6th, then it would start up. Or start up the BEs, then add the fan last.  That tells me I was at the upper limit of the power available. I moved the fan to a second usb hub and now I can power down and restated without the need to hot plug. Even tho you can run 6 BE's and a fan, It may be best to run without the fan in the seventh port.

bondfire

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:22:42 PM

My D-Link ran ran  with 6 block erupters and a usb fan. However I  did notice that if I rebooted the R Pi with the 6 BEs and fan, only 5 of the erupter would start up. I would have to pull and reinsert the 6th, then it would start up. Or start up the BEs, then add the fan last.  That tells me I was at the upper limit of the power available. I moved the fan to a second usb hub and now I can power down and restated without the need to hot plug. Even tho you can run 6 BE's and a fan, It may be best to run without the fan in hte seventh port.
Awesome details, thanks!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: