Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:29:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electronics hobbyists  (Read 136 times)
NiHaoMike (OP)

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2017, 07:35:27 AM

I'm curious how common are electronics hobbyists around here. I'm under the impression that nowadays it's mostly software engineers who dominate cryptocurrency, but they have at least some electronics knowledge for building GPU mining setups.

I personally began electronics very early, in first grade, when my dad took me to work and after noting how interested I was in what he did, gave me an electronics kit to play with. Now, about 20 years later, DIY electronics is my main hobby.

My most recent addition to my electronics lab is a high voltage isolated probe (the box that says EEVblog on it, first item I bought with Bitcoin!) for safely viewing mains circuits on an oscilloscope. One of my areas of specialization is power electronics, of which efficiency optimization is a particularly interesting and fun topic that is directly relevant to cryptocurrency mining.

The test setup above is intended to test how well the isolated probe picks up high frequency signals near its 70MHz limit (it does so very well) and I then realized it very well illustrated a statement I read in a book a long time ago. "While it probably wouldn't be very entertaining to watch TV on an oscilloscope, the same information is there!"

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NiHaoMike (OP)

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2017, 03:20:36 PM

Maybe it would be more interesting if I post a picture of something that relates to mining?

That's the modified PSU that powers my GPU mining setup. The PFC was bypassed by adding a voltage doubler to gain a few % of efficiency. Naturally, the power factor is poor, but when I run a single 970 with no plan to expand, the efficiency boost is worth it.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: