Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 10:01:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase/GDAX Investigation For Ethereum Flash Crash  (Read 116 times)
milagm (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 07:50:05 AM

https://news.bitcoin.com/coinbase-under-investigation-for-ethereum-flash-crash/

Do anybody know any updates in this topic ?

At first it looks like not a big problem but their marging trading is still not available.

Should we get concerned ?
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 09:24:03 AM

At first it looks like not a big problem but their marging trading is still not available.

I wouldn't be too concerned about margin trading being unavailable. The fact is that Coinbase is in uncharted waters. Cryptocurrencies are incredibly illiquid markets, hence extreme volatility. With the CFTC investigating the June flash crash, they need to be careful. Their books simply aren't thick enough to support much leverage. The other issue is US regulations on margin trading and whether GDAX is properly enforcing margin traders' status as "Eligible Contract Participants" under the Commodity Exchange Act:

In order to access Margin Trading on GDAX, you must be an Eligible Contract Participant ("ECP", as defined in Section 1a(18) of the Commodity Exchange Act and applicable regulations thereunder).

You qualify as an ECP if you meet one of the following definitions:
You are a corporation, partnership, proprietorship, organization, trust, or other entity that has a net worth exceeding $1,000,000 and you enter into margin trading in connection with the conduct of your business or to manage the risk associated with an asset or liability owned or incurred or reasonably likely to be owned or incurred by you in the conduct of your business.

You are a corporation, partnership, proprietorship, organization, trust, or other entity that has total assets exceeding $10,000,000.

I wonder how many people have been margin trading on GDAX that never actually met the legal qualifications.

I saw this posted on Reddit from 9 days ago:

Thanks for writing in. Unfortunately, margin trading is disabled on all order books until further notice. Because of this, it’s not possible to open new margin positions at this time. We do not yet have an estimated time on when it will be re-enabled.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thanks, GDAX Support Team

btcney

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 09:41:51 AM

I haven't heard from them about any developments after they disabled margin trading.

It shouldn't really be that much of an issue, nobody was selling at 10c and there were only buy orders at 10c. The only person losing out here is the person who executed these margin trades since he sold all his ETH at a lower price than he could have.

It could be possible that it's a bug on coinbase's side also, but we haven't heard from them at all about this.
milagm (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 10:42:25 AM

I wouldn't be too concerned about margin trading being unavailable. The fact is that Coinbase is in uncharted waters...

Thank you very much for a good post.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: