Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:48:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are we living in a simulation?  (Read 691 times)
Mintycash

Activity: 220
Merit: 14

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:51:18 PM

If you are interested in this concept of a simulation, I recommed this book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permutation_City

Also, assume we are indeed in a simulation. This simulation could arise naturally from a primordial universe without the need of a ''programmer'' or advance civilization producing the simulation.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fundalini

Activity: 644
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:52:16 PM

No, we are not. There are simply too many controlled variables and there are things that couldn't be considered coincidences like how plants produce oxygen and we breathe out CO2 or how out of all the 8 planets in the solar system, earth is the only one on the habitable zone.
Mintycash

Activity: 220
Merit: 14

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 03:09:59 PM

No, we are not. There are simply too many controlled variables and there are things that couldn't be considered coincidences like how plants produce oxygen and we breathe out CO2 or how out of all the 8 planets in the solar system, earth is the only one on the habitable zone.

What you are implying is the ''rare earth hypothesis''... Please check:
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2011/01/the-rare-earth-theory-logic-and-math-says-were-not-alone-in-universe.html
Cryptopriest

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 04:14:05 PM

There are some videos about evolution of gaming. You can see that in period of 40 years, computer games traveled the path from 100x100 pixels on screen to photo-realistic images rendered in real time, in complex game world (simulation), with many players playing simultaneously. Now, can you imagine the those games in 200 years from now! (If we don't kill each other first of course.) What would they look like?

It is quite possible that we are living in a simulation. However, i don't think we will be able to prove it, unless the guys running this simulation wants it to be provable. Maybe they put some rules and a goal to figure which civilization (yes, there are most likely others on different planets too) will discover the truth about simulations or even escape own simulation or move to the other (multiverse?).

Those guys, simulation owners and creators, would probably be the closes thing to gods from human religions.
Baconn (OP)

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 01:59:56 PM

No we are not in a simulation... we are not in the matrix either.... you've been watching too much the Matrix Trilogy bro  Grin

Haha no, it's not because of the movie bro Cheesy It's just that i have been open-minded and thinking out of the box for a moment Grin
What do you think then, created by God?What is our purpose here on earth? Smiley
genesis.re

Activity: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 02:40:10 PM

Elon Musk: one a billion chance...

It doesn't matter.

Enjoy every moment.
slate_main

Activity: 105
Merit: 11

BYTZ

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 07:30:05 PM

Whether a simulation or not, we are not playing it very well on the whole, perhaps we are a mirrored 'species' on this planet, as well as others, being tested by a higher being, this unstable region of the galaxy could be a piece in a vacuum jar, of sorts, of course nobody can really know, can they?
passteque

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 08:23:59 PM

50/50 imo
naglas

Activity: 233
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 08:38:28 PM

this is like one of those questions people ask after Burningman  Cheesy
rly it's not a simulation, people just started to develop AR/VR technologies (it would be weird to create VR technologies inside VR world Wink), but I'm sure it could be a case soon... VR is a very promising industry now..
HappyNonce

Activity: 33

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 08:50:06 PM

Here is a nice introduction to the simulation hypothesis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlTKTTt47WE
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 09:52:54 PM

It's an interesting question--perhaps it was popularized by that movie The Matrix.  My problem with that movie is that, with all the energy in the universe, why would some advanced robotic species waste time enslaving humans for their energy, which likely wouldn't even power the very simulation they participate in.  The universe is full of suns which are far more efficient to harvest energy from.

As far as the simulation theory goes, my thoughts are this: if there's no evidence of it, then it's unwise to assume it's occurring anyway.  How does one show that this is a simulation?--we would need to be able to enter the "real world", and be able to view the simulation from outside of the simulation.  We would also need to be able to be certain that this experience of exiting the simulation into the real world was actually occurring, but there's limits to what the human experience can guarantee (empiricism gets us only so far.)  If we "break" the simulation from the inside, we could also just as well assume that we can break the real world.  Anything which occurs in the "simulation" can just as easily be attributed to occurring in reality.  Why limit yourself to one simulation?  Why not have every human being in existence be in their own simulation which combines into a supersimulation that we experience together.  Again, no evidence of this occurring.  What if, outside of the simulation, we're all brains in jars?  No evidence of this occurring.  What if we're all actually just souls lost in limbo and this is all a hallucination of post-death?  No evidence.  What if there's an tentacled alien demigod somewhere in another dimension who is having a multi-billion year long dream about our universe and that's what our existence is?  No evidence.

It's the same as questions for the tooth fairy and santa clause: we can make up as many reasons as we'd like as to why anything is happening, but if we can't actually experience the evidence of it, then we must assume it's not real.

podrick17

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 11:14:09 PM

This is much of a thought for a human because everyone chooses the life they wants, they do decision base on their own thinking and ideas so i do not believe we live in a simulation because we have a freedom to do everything we want.

Ihlan

Activity: 25

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 01:03:07 AM

Iam living in computer situasion
hownowbrowncow

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 04:54:54 AM

No we are not. But obviously get out if were.
dunkindonat

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 01:16:32 PM

Neil deGrasse Tyson has interesting thoughts about this
blackbitum

Activity: 103

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 01:39:30 PM

No, we live too really do any step and you will see different events
Baconn (OP)

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 05:20:10 PM

It's an interesting question--perhaps it was popularized by that movie The Matrix.  My problem with that movie is that, with all the energy in the universe, why would some advanced robotic species waste time enslaving humans for their energy, which likely wouldn't even power the very simulation they participate in.  The universe is full of suns which are far more efficient to harvest energy from.

As far as the simulation theory goes, my thoughts are this: if there's no evidence of it, then it's unwise to assume it's occurring anyway.  How does one show that this is a simulation?--we would need to be able to enter the "real world", and be able to view the simulation from outside of the simulation.  We would also need to be able to be certain that this experience of exiting the simulation into the real world was actually occurring, but there's limits to what the human experience can guarantee (empiricism gets us only so far.)  If we "break" the simulation from the inside, we could also just as well assume that we can break the real world.  Anything which occurs in the "simulation" can just as easily be attributed to occurring in reality.  Why limit yourself to one simulation?  Why not have every human being in existence be in their own simulation which combines into a supersimulation that we experience together.  Again, no evidence of this occurring.  What if, outside of the simulation, we're all brains in jars?  No evidence of this occurring.  What if we're all actually just souls lost in limbo and this is all a hallucination of post-death?  No evidence.  What if there's an tentacled alien demigod somewhere in another dimension who is having a multi-billion year long dream about our universe and that's what our existence is?  No evidence.

It's the same as questions for the tooth fairy and santa clause: we can make up as many reasons as we'd like as to why anything is happening, but if we can't actually experience the evidence of it, then we must assume it's not real.

Nice nice, interesting thoughts my friend Smiley There are a lot of things we do not have evidence of but yet we still believe in it.
Sometimes it's just about feeling something and the things that happen around you.Ok, of course, you cant be certain 100% because you feel something like that etc.
I just say you cant be sure in something you don't know.Evidence, a strange thing for some things in life Wink Who knows what happens when we die...if we truly die Grin
And that tentacled alien demigod, i hope he will not wake up Cheesy
Doclam

Activity: 84

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 06:18:45 PM

Are we living in a computer simulation and if you found out somehow that indeed we are would you get out or stay in simulation?Reasons for both.
You do not know whats out there when you get out only that you can end this simulation.What are your thoughts on these subject?
I would get out because i would have a feeling that all of this is a lie, therefore, no reasons to stay here.

yes man that is what I feel too
BlitzPredict

Activity: 118

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:23:50 PM

No we are not. But obviously get out if were.

But what if your existence is only possible within the simulation?

It may not be like the Matrix. If it is like the Matrix I agree, get out.
IJane

Activity: 12

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:58:03 PM

We could be 100% generated artificial "intelligence"... and could be living in a simulation made by some alien student. What if that student lives in a simulation too...  Huh
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: