Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:59:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: North Korea Tensions And The Price Of Bitcoin  (Read 295 times)
GreenBits (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 07:07:26 AM

Green here  Grin Just wanted to ask, how many of you here actually use bitcoin as a safe haven asset, particularly against the USD? I always see the price uptick a bit (considerably, sometimes) when Trump starts tweeting about NK, the imminent threat of actual conflict with another nuclear armed country does something magical for the price.

But this seems like a pretty mature strategy; most of the market participants here are anything but. So it puzzles me why the trend would reflect on bitcoin as strongly as it does (I understand gold and silver, these are the long established "safe have assets" of traditional finance. Is this an indication more traditional investors, and large ones at that, have taken more than an academic interest in btc?

Thoughts? (the topics were bummy, wanted to talk about something legit)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
salihno71

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 07:17:24 AM

Maybe it has something to do with the following news: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-11/north-korea-hackers-step-up-bitcoin-attacks-amid-rising-tensions ? If they have larger amount of bitcoins in possession, in case of nuclear war those funds would likely be lost. This would effectively reduce amount of available bitcoins. But it's more likely that investors are perceiving bitcoin as a safe haven.
White sugar
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 07:21:34 AM

In case of nuclear war weapons, supplies and meds would be worth something. All virtual things, like bitcoin or the money in your bank, would be worth nothing.

I invest in bitcoins because it is the most profitable among the options I have, as any rational person would do, but I know the risk of it being worth nothing at any moment.

Of course maybe there is some correlation, because most people aren't rational 
GreenBits (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 07:30:24 AM

In case of nuclear war weapons, supplies and meds would be worth something. All virtual things, like bitcoin or the money in your bank, would be worth nothing.

I invest in bitcoins because it is the most profitable among the options I have, as any rational person would do, but I know the risk of it being worth nothing at any moment.

Of course maybe there is some correlation, because most people aren't rational 

Thats the irony of a "safe haven" virtual asset. I thought safe haven meant "safe"; that is the security possession of the asset provides in lieu of the asset you replace. bitcoin is neat and all, but you cant eat a goddamn bitcoin, ive tried Wink

Thats why I dont really understand paper gold, except for purely speculative purposes. even with the liquidity of gold (its not the best), id still rather hold something in my hand that I can trade for something vital, in case we end up in "Mad Max" times.

You dont even need a war. Take Puerto Rico for example. bitcoin isnt too useful there, atm.

in fact, gonna write a different thread about that  Smiley
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 07:30:53 AM

Green here  Grin Just wanted to ask, how many of you here actually use bitcoin as a safe haven asset, particularly against the USD? I always see the price uptick a bit (considerably, sometimes) when Trump starts tweeting about NK, the imminent threat of actual conflict with another nuclear armed country does something magical for the price.

But this seems like a pretty mature strategy; most of the market participants here are anything but. So it puzzles me why the trend would reflect on bitcoin as strongly as it does (I understand gold and silver, these are the long established "safe have assets" of traditional finance. Is this an indication more traditional investors, and large ones at that, have taken more than an academic interest in btc?

Thoughts? (the topics were bummy, wanted to talk about something legit)

The tension between North Korea and the US is just going to be a mere tension as I dont see any of them ready to go into battle considering the fact that this will not be about either military might but on the basis of missiles and counter missiles. The effect on bitcoin is what I am still trying to grasp and how people will want to use bitcoin as a safe haven. For me, I think keeping in safe haven must have happen when you have enough already then keeping the rest but over here, quite a number of people are doing several things everyday to earn something be it gambling, trading, freelancing etc. But to have enough to keep for NK war.

If the war should eventually happen, I think survival will be priority other than safe haven.
wanderloy

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

PRESALE BEGINS UP TO 45% DISCOUNT

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:09:28 AM

North Korea believed that they owned Bitcoins today and they're mining not only Bitcoin but Altcoins also. Somehow they have to get as much money through trades and remittances.

A1exander

Activity: 336
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:31:49 AM

I do not use bitcoin as a safe haven, for me now it's primarily an investment. But if (that's a big 'if') the rich are starting to consider bitcoin as a 'safe haven', like precious metals, it's a very good thing. It means that bitcoin will be more stable than it was in the past and is unlikely to experience a drastic fall.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: