Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:57:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PROOF: Bitmain is selling old hardware as NEW miners!  (Read 1673 times)
Thetaj (OP)

Activity: 402
Merit: 116

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 08:44:01 AM

I think it is time someone finally broke the Silence on Bitmain's dickish behavior to consumers.

I have several batches of L3+, S9s and soon to be coming in D3, apart from this, I have many other machines including Avalons and Ebit E9+

Several months ago, I bought some L3+ for the August batch, late august batch, september batch and late september batch.

The first batches came out absolutely fine! the miners were brand new, and everything ran very peachy.

However, my late August batch just came in. And I immediately noticed very peculiar things about it.

1st: The tapes were OLD, like yellowly old.
2nd: The miners appear to have some wear and tear to them, however, there were not dust on them but it appeared they were cleaned off.
3rd and most importantly: I checked the firmware, and there was something really off!

The first few batches that came, came with firmware 1.0.1.3 which was the latest one at the time (and still is I believe)

However, the NEWER September batch came with firmware 1.0.1.1

Not only this. The older August batch were all really good, they are still going strong.

However, the new September batch now has 3 machines with broken Hashboards and 1 that restarts itself every 5 minutes or so.

So I have to conclude that Bitmain either

1. Ships out very shitty ass products that breaks after 3 days of use

or the more likely

2. They purposefully ship out their old miners after cleaning because they oversold the miners or are turning over their old miners for new ones.

This would all be ok IF they told us that they sold used miners. But nope, I paid new miner money for old, broken miners.

I will keep you all updated on the RMA process after golden week!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Thetaj (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 08:47:05 AM

After 3 days of mining !

Astrilian

Activity: 350
Merit: 112

Ecosystem for Fundraising DAOs — ICOs 2.0

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 10:45:06 AM

It's a shame they sell old equipment branded as new. Is there another alternative supplier or do you recommend to buy miners rather from ebay if available?

Thetaj (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 02:05:13 PM

There are a number of competitors, but sadly, Bitmain miners will always have the better numbers (efficiency, speed etc).

However, It may actually not be the most profitable if you are a small farm. Your chances of getting a bad batch, or bad machine is pretty much almost 100% in the long run. That plus the long wait time is something to think about.

Competitors:

Baikal
Innosilicon
Pinidea
Canaan Creative
BW.com
whatsminer
Ebang

anyone else got more lemon miners share in this thread!
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 04:27:59 PM

It's a known fact Bitmain uses miners before shipping and to my knowledge they don't do anything about it even if you do happen to tell them about it. For Bitcoin, Ebit, Avalon and Bitfury miners if you can get your hands on them are better and probably not used. It's a shame that this, combined with expensive servicing if a miner breaks that makes Bitmain terrible to buy from. Not to mention it's them behind the recent and upcoming forks, which is more political.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 04:41:23 PM

It's a known fact Bitmain uses miners before shipping and to my knowledge they don't do anything about it even if you do happen to tell them about it. For Bitcoin, Ebit, Avalon and Bitfury miners if you can get your hands on them are better and probably not used. It's a shame that this, combined with expensive servicing if a miner breaks that makes Bitmain terrible to buy from. Not to mention it's them behind the recent and upcoming forks, which is more political.

Using miner before shipping is a standard testing procedure and nothing wrong.
I would prefer to get a preheated, pretested miner than one not tested at all.

Best way is to contact Bitmain or any manufacturer over the Internet and report all problems and attach
images, screenshots.

Making complaints on BCT makes no sense since buy/sell business is done between 2 parties, not in public.
It's not just that, but they mine for extended periods of time. It's known Canaan/Avalon test their miners and their own rigs on Kano and that is fine; their quality is good and the miners they sell aren't like some Antminers (and they don't mine for long periods of time with em Smiley). Bitmain also has terribly slow support and many times they reject perfectly good claims.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 04:43:41 PM

Only Bitmain considers running a machine for several months to be "standard testing" and not just, you know, using it. Been like that since the S5 days. I don't think they shipped out a single S5 that wasn't choked with dust.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 03:33:34 AM

Maybe they've updated their website ...

... but last time I looked I didn't see any references indicating what you are buying is "new".

We just rightfully assume it's new.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
Flep182
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 01:44:06 PM

Only Bitmain considers running a machine for several months to be "standard testing" and not just, you know, using it. Been like that since the S5 days. I don't think they shipped out a single S5 that wasn't choked with dust.

If I were them, I'd not even consider selling any of them, until after about 6 months of running, or when the next model is almost done, so you can flood the market with your used batch to finance ramping up production for the next version that'll take over the mining for another 6-12 months. For a project their size (production capacity) there's plenty of investors/funds willing to move large amounts of money to bankroll the operation.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:09:30 PM

If I were them I'd run them for about 1 day and then ship them to the next paying customer on the list. But most people consider raw profits over not being a self-serving ass. But that mindset tends to wreck economies in the long run. Course I also don't take money from investors/funds either, so I'm allowed to make my own decisions without others trying to buy the right to supercede me.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Thetaj (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 03:30:55 PM

If I were them I'd run them for about 1 day and then ship them to the next paying customer on the list. But most people consider raw profits over not being a self-serving ass. But that mindset tends to wreck economies in the long run. Course I also don't take money from investors/funds either, so I'm allowed to make my own decisions without others trying to buy the right to supercede me.

I can see that your moral compass is weighing you down man Wink

I got an automated reply from "Barbara" we'll see how it goes
Flep182
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 04:03:42 PM

Oh, to clarify, it would be far from ethical, and I wouldn't call the company a production company, but a mining company that produces it's own equipment, then sells the used into the market once the in house produced new product is as good as done.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 05:20:59 PM

Why are you even mining Bitcoin? if you are not reverse engineering them to manufacture your own miners you are not earning any profit, you are just giving them more money, they will use that money to build miners to use for their own operations. Bitcoin is not for home miners any more.
Don't be stupid to think you are earning any thing, you are paying $1200 and how long would it take for you to earn back that money?

🖤😏
rockie2000

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Waves address 3PP4npcijfECsxrf4Ms4rSxPuZq1kamGn7H

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

Oh, to clarify, it would be far from ethical, and I wouldn't call the company a production company, but a mining company that produces it's own equipment, then sells the used into the market once the in house produced new product is as good as done.

This makes me angry, why would they do that? That's like cheating the customers and I would not buy from them!

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▶▶▶▶ Get Your Free Tokens Now ◀◀◀◀  First PoS Smart Contract Token
    PoSToken       Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper
kirtley7

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 09:38:41 PM

I am having the exact same issue as the original poster. I ordered 6 miners and the very next day I have 7 hash boards bad between 3 miners. The miners with the issue have 1.0.1.3 firmware the older firmware working fine.
Thetaj (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 06:07:00 AM

I am having the exact same issue as the original poster. I ordered 6 miners and the very next day I have 7 hash boards bad between 3 miners. The miners with the issue have 1.0.1.3 firmware the older firmware working fine.

Welcome to the club lol!
Flep182
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 06:54:00 AM

This makes me angry, why would they do that? That's like cheating the customers and I would not buy from them!

I was offering a hypothetical Wink From a business perspective it makes sense to use first before selling, but as long as you've got superior material (in energy efficiency) it would be crazy not to let it run for a while before shipping. Then again, Bitmain should be honest about what they're doing before shipping. As was mentioned somewhere before, they don't explicitly state the hardware is new, but that is what you would reasonably expect Smiley
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 08:19:54 PM

Ive been to bitmains hardware testing facility and watched them test miners. It is not a full on datacenter, and they do not run them very long. Also, at the end of the s7 production run they did advertise the last few batches as being used and they were offered at a discount because of this.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
ocesco

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 10:31:45 PM

classic Chinese hw business, selling stuff used for new
tflux99

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 05:16:53 PM

ppl dont buy from bitmain or any other company like that fuck the asics go get some gpu and mine gpu coins more centralized!! bitmain controlls the btc hashrate and this is a shame... 3rd but not least do you realy think someone sells you devices you get millioner with no no they wont they will use it self !!! sry4badenglish Smiley

▶▶ UR TOKEN ◀◀
═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══
ⓄⓄ UNIVERSAL RECOGNITION TOKEN  ⓄⓄ

【 The first blockchain-based corporate rewards marketplace 】
══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━══
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: