Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:51:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Have people been forced to pay tax over Bitcoin yet?  (Read 5446 times)
F12TRS (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 09:38:13 AM

Quite curious if this has been the case. Obviously I'm hoping it haven't been the case.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mozdalifa17

Activity: 746
Merit: 509

TIME and WAVE COINs TO REMEMBER

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 09:44:22 AM

Quite curious if this has been the case. Obviously I'm hoping it haven't been the case.
That not happen yet and i don't think will be applied soon because bitcoin and other altscoin depend on security plus anonymous payment within the blochchain but if you plan to use regulated exchange like poloniex and other sites registered under USA\EU rules perhaps some day might request TAX.
Lieldoryn

Activity: 630
Merit: 272

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 12:01:40 PM

Until you use only coins that will not happen. But once you bring yourself to the Bank account of the dollars or euros it will be considered as your income and therefore you will have to pay tax on capital gains. This is a big minus cryptocurrency. We can't spend on purchases without exchanging for Fiat. The anonymity of bitcoin is a myth too. Each exchange is easily monitored by the government.
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 02:57:00 PM

Until you use only coins that will not happen. But once you bring yourself to the Bank account of the dollars or euros it will be considered as your income and therefore you will have to pay tax on capital gains. This is a big minus cryptocurrency. We can't spend on purchases without exchanging for Fiat. The anonymity of bitcoin is a myth too. Each exchange is easily monitored by the government.

You are incorrect.

1. You can be anonymous in Bitcoin but your transactions are public.
2. You can buy things using bitcoin as long as someone is willing to sell.

1. As long as you are not connected to your bitcoin account (which unlike a credit card, a paypal or a bank account, no one can force you to be) and you follow certain practices, you are anonymous.

2. The markets just need to expand. 

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
Almat

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 03:36:06 PM

I don't think there's any way to monitor and tax every single transaction right now. I know some people pay taxes on their earnings for Bitcoins, but because of how it works, they're free to declare an incorrect amount.
warrior333

Activity: 406
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 04:18:16 PM

I don't think there's any way to monitor and tax every single transaction right now. I know some people pay taxes on their earnings for Bitcoins, but because of how it works, they're free to declare an incorrect amount.
It seems to me that tracking each transaction of bitcoins for the government unrealistic. And the legislation does not provide for this. But to track each transfer Fiat to your account no problem. Even by today's laws, it is your income. If you use the exchange transaction then definitely have to pay taxes.
Immakillya

Activity: 560
Merit: 269

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 06:03:03 AM

In my country (Philippines), they are not imposing or charging taxes to bitcoin users because it is hard to determine who used bitcoin. And there are no laws about charging taxes on bitcoin users yet. Also it's very rare that you see a bitcoin users here because bitcoin here is not that popular. People also are hesitant to buy and use bitcoin. They are calling bitcoin a scam but it's not. I just let them. Anyway, if you give them your income statement. For sure they will charge you with tax. But as long as they don't know what you are doing. You can't be charge for taxes since they don't even know that you are using bitcoin.
Yuhee

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 06:45:53 AM

In my country (Philippines), they are not imposing or charging taxes to bitcoin users because it is hard to determine who used bitcoin. And there are no laws about charging taxes on bitcoin users yet. Also it's very rare that you see a bitcoin users here because bitcoin here is not that popular. People also are hesitant to buy and use bitcoin. They are calling bitcoin a scam but it's not. I just let them. Anyway, if you give them your income statement. For sure they will charge you with tax. But as long as they don't know what you are doing. You can't be charge for taxes since they don't even know that you are using bitcoin.

I could agree on this and the country still is not yet fully dedicated to bitcoin issue because right now their are a lot of internal affairs to be dealt with before making huge movement on bitcoin. The legislative are still going on around drug issues and members of the government are still on conflict on each other revealing secrets about each on everyone. So i guess thats is why bitcoin is still not a major issue on the country.
sindikat

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 08:52:54 AM

Now the state's official position on cryptocurrency no. There is no established national Bank the indicative price for the exchange. For this the state should accept all cryptocurrencies. Forced to exchange your coins for Fiat, no one can. To take taxes in coins by the state. So you have to pay taxes only after exchanging coins for Fiat. if you do it in small portions then you will not notice it and therefore do not need to pay.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 10:32:22 AM

I'm sure they have. In the IRS request to Coinbase, they cited multiple cases of tax evaders who had used Coinbase to facilitate the tax evasion. They used these cases to argue that Coinbase should turn over all customer data, so they can find similar tax evaders. The court rightfully rejected the request, but the underlying facts make clear that they are already coming after people for this.

If you are in the US and you have large wires in and out of your accounts, or you do high volume on LocalBitcoins, I'd be careful and do everything by the books. Bitcoin is no longer in the shadows. The taxman wants his cut.

Palmerson

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 10:39:17 AM

I'm sure they have. In the IRS request to Coinbase, they cited multiple cases of tax evaders who had used Coinbase to facilitate the tax evasion. They used these cases to argue that Coinbase should turn over all customer data, so they can find similar tax evaders. The court rightfully rejected the request, but the underlying facts make clear that they are already coming after people for this.

If you are in the US and you have large wires in and out of your accounts, or you do high volume on LocalBitcoins, I'd be careful and do everything by the books. Bitcoin is no longer in the shadows. The taxman wants his cut.
Bitcoin is the greatest danger to America. For this reason, I am confident that the American government will never legalise its use but will soon declare war on the world of bitcoin. I think that the taxes Americans are interested in less likely. They are concerned about the fact that people around the world will abandon the dollar in favor of bitcoin.

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀

♡   Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency   ♡
██Discord  |  Twitter  |  Medium  |  Youtube  |  Bitcointalk  |  Github██

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 11:08:57 AM

Bitcoin is the greatest danger to America. For this reason, I am confident that the American government will never legalise its use but will soon declare war on the world of bitcoin. I think that the taxes Americans are interested in less likely. They are concerned about the fact that people around the world will abandon the dollar in favor of bitcoin.

I think there is a small chance of that. Years ago, amidst all the calls by Congressmen, etc. to ban it, it seemed more likely. But a lot has changed since then. Even in the BTC-E indictment, the DOJ stated that there were legitimate uses for cryptocurrencies. The CFTC allowed LedgerX to formally register to offer regulated Bitcoin futures contracts. The US Marshall Service auctioned off hundreds of thousands of bitcoins -- you think the government would come back to Tim Draper and say, "thanks for your money, now give up your bitcoins, they're illegal"?

My take is that the US government is smart enough to know that they can try to ban it, but demand will not go away. It will thrive in the rest of the world, given time.

MiF

Activity: 1358
Merit: 258

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 11:53:24 AM

No there is none being reported, even the countries that legalized bitcoin there is no incident report that they force to tax the bitcoin users. The government cannot impose tax on bitcoin except if they legalize the bitcoin in their country but still the imposed tax shall be fair policy not in cruel policy because if they imposed an unfair tax collection on bitcoin many people will not invest in bitcoin therefore the legalization will be useless.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

Miles123

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 12:26:26 PM

Here in the Philippines there is no report I heard that there is a bitcoins forced to pay tax because here bitcoins is not popular and our governments here are very busy with a drug campaign that they want to stop it. So there is no any charges of paying taxes. Governments are not making it legal because they don't know how important is this. Bitcoin can help our economy if we are paying tax. It's not good not to pay a tax if you're country has a law that you need to pay a tax.
F12TRS (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 01:18:59 PM

This is what upsets me. A local bitcoin exchange was also forced to turn over all customer data, as law enforcement were looking for money launderers. However I bought some bitcoin through my bank account at their exchange.

Considering my country gets people into prison longer for tax evasion than murder. I'm afraid that one of these days they'll consider bitcoin as tax invasion instead of a "share".
Astrilian

Activity: 350
Merit: 112

Ecosystem for Fundraising DAOs — ICOs 2.0

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:01:03 PM

I think currently it is hard for almost any government to determine who is using bitcoin...that might change though.

Pamadar
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:17:42 PM

just like what the other said as long as you are using bitcoin to do your business you are still safe of getting taxes but after you exchange it to your local
fiat and start using your money then taxes will be implemented, I guess its the reason behind why china wanted to regulate btc as they wanted to have some
earnings out from this system.
veleten
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:34:55 PM

depends on a country in question,I'm pretty sure in the US people declare their income
even if it comes from bitcoin trading or investing bitcoins,many prefer to be on a safe side
and are trying to pay taxes or at least enquire how to do so-check the topics like "Do I have to pay taxes over bitcoin",yes just like yours Smiley
most of them are coming from the US citizens
unfortunately,even in states,bitcoin is  agrey area and you should consult a lawyer as to what laws in your particular state are saying about it
if there are no laws regarding bitcoins,people cannot be forced to pay tax
easy as that

▄▄████▄▄
      ▄▄███▀    ▀███▄▄
   ▄████████▄▄▄▄████████▄
  ▀██████████████████████▀
▐█▄▄ ▀▀████▀    ▀████▀▀ ▄▄██
▐█████▄▄ ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ ▄▄██▀  █
▐██ ▀████▄▄ ▀██▀ ▄▄████  ▄██
▐██  ███████▄  ▄████████████
▐██  █▌▐█ ▀██  ██████▀  ████
▐██  █▌▐█  ██  █████  ▄█████
 ███▄ ▌▐█  ██  ████████████▀
  ▀▀████▄ ▄██  ██▀  ████▀▀
      ▀▀█████  █  ▄██▀▀
         ▀▀██  ██▀▀
.WINDICE.████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
      ▄████████▀
     ▄████████
    ▄███████▀
   ▄███████▀
  ▄█████████████
 ▄████████████▀
▄███████████▀
     █████▀
    ████▀
   ████
  ███▀
 ██▀
█▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
     ▄▄█████▄   ▄▄▄▄
    ██████████▄███████▄
  ▄████████████████████▌
 ████████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
 ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
     ▄█     ▄█     ▄█
   ▄██▌   ▄██▌   ▄██▌
   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀
       ▄█     ▄█
     ▄██▌   ▄██▌
     ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
                   ▄█▄
                 ▄█████▄
                █████████▄
       ▄       ██ ████████▌
     ▄███▄    ▐█▌▐█████████
   ▄███████▄   ██ ▀███████▀
 ▄███████████▄  ▀██▄▄████▀
▐█ ▄███████████    ▀▀▀▀
█ █████████████▌      ▄
█▄▀████████████▌    ▄███▄
▐█▄▀███████████    ▐█▐███▌
 ▀██▄▄▀▀█████▀      ▀█▄█▀
   ▀▀▀███▀▀▀
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
iePlay NoweiI
I
I
I
[/t
Astrilian

Activity: 350
Merit: 112

Ecosystem for Fundraising DAOs — ICOs 2.0

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 03:41:54 PM

depends on a country in question,I'm pretty sure in the US people declare their income
even if it comes from bitcoin trading or investing bitcoins,many prefer to be on a safe side
and are trying to pay taxes or at least enquire how to do so-check the topics like "Do I have to pay taxes over bitcoin",yes just like yours Smiley
most of them are coming from the US citizens
unfortunately,even in states,bitcoin is  agrey area and you should consult a lawyer as to what laws in your particular state are saying about it
if there are no laws regarding bitcoins,people cannot be forced to pay tax
easy as that

Sounds like you are from the US? Is it true that it is illegal to participate in ICO's in the US?

kimochidesh

Activity: 518
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 06:22:30 PM

Not really...If you make BTC transaction from one wallet to another, no tax would be levied because of a decentralized anonymous transaction on the blockchain . But soon you want to bring profits of your investment in your bank account through an exchange, it will ask for KYC which include all your necessary documents which will help to evaluate the tax on you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: