Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:27:35 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nothing to do with Bitcoin, everything to do with Bitcoin  (Read 1188 times)
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:42:54 PM

Slide deck from Harris Kupperman presentation at Vegas Value Investing Congress.  Quick & worth reading as a whole for any generic would-be investor who wants to enter a trend before the masses arrive.  Does not mention Bitcoin at all, and yet, this slide reminded me of something familiar:

Where Are Opportunities Today?
•Assets that are not “financialized”
•Assets not yet leveraged
•Assets that are small, illiquid, politically-sensitive, or difficult for large institutions to manage
•Sectors with low visibility

http://adventuresincapitalism.com/webservices/documents/NewsletterPDF/Vegas%20Final.pdf
Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:47:53 PM

Really? Seems to me Bitcoin has a huge visibility compared to it's market size.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:11:35 PM

Only after the massive wave of coverage after Cyprus, though.  Even now, I'd estimate maybe 1 in 100 people I run into, have ever heard of it.  And I'd guess that only 1 in 1000 actually own any.  It's definitively not on the radar of the average person, or even the average speculator.  I'd say the transition out of low visibility will be marked by sufficient retail awareness to drive the issuance of a Bitcoin ETF on a mainstream exchange, analogous to gold in 2004.
Frozenlock

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:21:40 PM

It's definitively not on the radar of the average person, or even the average speculator.

I believed that too, until in April I learned that all my grandparents heard about it, my aunt, my coworkers, my mother's coworkers...

These are NOT technical people.

Bitcoin isn't walking in the shadows anymore.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:08:14 PM

Only after the massive wave of coverage after Cyprus, though.  Even now, I'd estimate maybe 1 in 100 people I run into, have ever heard of it.  And I'd guess that only 1 in 1000 actually own any.  It's definitively not on the radar of the average person, or even the average speculator.  I'd say the transition out of low visibility will be marked by sufficient retail awareness to drive the issuance of a Bitcoin ETF on a mainstream exchange, analogous to gold in 2004.

there is a recent poll showing that 1 out of 6 germans has heard about bitcoin. that was before it gained the present attention: it is regurlaly in the mainstream print/online media overhere.

Pale Phoenix

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:24:36 PM

Does "hearing about it" really equate to "visibility" as an investment opportunity? Most of my relatives who watch the nightly news have heard about it too, but none of them have any visibility into it's potential as an investment or even basic usefulness. :-)

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 06:26:48 AM

It ain't what a man don't know that makes him a fool; it's the things he does know, that ain't so. -Josh Billings

That's an amazingly deep quote; it describes so much of the foolishness in the modern world, government, academia, Bitcoin skepticism by goldbugs, why guys fail with girls - everything really. It even relates to Hayek's "pretense of knowledge" (the "fatal conceit"). It also explains why "unlearning" and "unschooling" have become so vital for anyone who wants to really understand things. There is an abundance of bullshit/incoherent ideas floating around, so much that avoiding them has become more than half the battle.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 06:43:05 AM

It's definitively not on the radar of the average person, or even the average speculator.

I believed that too, until in April I learned that all my grandparents heard about it, my aunt, my coworkers, my mother's coworkers...

These are NOT technical people.

Bitcoin isn't walking in the shadows anymore.

Had they heard anything positive?
Any hint that they might want to ever have any Bitcoin?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Frozenlock

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 07:01:38 AM

They heard it was an Internet currency that did go up and down in value. Usual stuff.

For wanting some... not a chance. Or at least not before it's easier to get AND use than an email client (already configured).
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 04:01:56 PM

They heard it was an Internet currency that did go up and down in value. Usual stuff.

For wanting some... not a chance. Or at least not before it's easier to get AND use than an email client (already configured).

Blockchain.info is pretty easy.
I think the bigger problem is the network effect. 
If there is no one asking for your email address you don't really need one.

When people start losing sales because they don't have a bitcoin address, that will be the tipping point.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: