Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:53:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving BTC from outdated version of core and Effects on BCH  (Read 270 times)
sngwinner (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 05:00:27 PM

I have a wallet on a very outdated version of core, possibly 0.8 or 0.9 from 3-4 years ago that is over 100 weeks out of sync. It's on a laptop and I definitely don't have enough hard drive space to sync it fully. I recently got a ledger nano s and want to transfer the coins I have on this wallet to the ledger. I haven't moved any coins from this wallet in years so I know there is BCH associated with all of these addresses.

Can I simply move coins using core to my ledger by sending them to my ledger address using the core client? Do I need to sync the client before it will allow me to send the coins?  If I send the coins will I lose my BCH?  If not how would I send my BCH?  Am I at any risk of a replay attack if I send my BTC and leave the BCH on the core wallet address?

Any other considerations to be aware of when sending coins on an outdated version of core?  I don't plan on using core once I've moved coins to my ledger.

ETERBASE | TRADE WITH NEGATIVE FEES
xbase ▬▬▬■▌[SIGN UP NOW]▐■▬▬▬ xbase
ANN THREAD   |    TELEGRAM    |    FACEBOOK    |    TWITTER

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2017, 05:58:48 PM

Can I simply move coins using core to my ledger by sending them to my ledger address using the core client?
Yes.

Do I need to sync the client before it will allow me to send the coins? 
If you have not received any coins after the time that your wallet is synced up to, then no.

If I send the coins will I lose my BCH?
No. BCH is an altcoin and anything that happens on BTC has no effect on BCH and vice versa.

If not how would I send my BCH?
You need to get a BCH client that can read your wallet file or you can import your private keys into. You can use the Bitcoin Core analogous software for BCH which is Bitcoin ABC.

Am I at any risk of a replay attack if I send my BTC and leave the BCH on the core wallet address?
No.

Any other considerations to be aware of when sending coins on an outdated version of core?  I don't plan on using core once I've moved coins to my ledger.
Node policy has changed since 0.8 which makes some transactions that 0.8 may produce (just due to randomness) to be non-standard and thus not likely to propagate well. Furthermore, fee estimation has changed to be much better, and priority has been removed which will also effect how your client sets a transaction fee so you may end up paying too low of a fee for your transaction to confirm quickly. I highly suggest that you upgrade to Bitcoin Core 0.15 and let it fully sync. You can use pruned mode so that it takes up only a few GB of space instead of 140+ GB.

sngwinner (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 06:03:56 PM

so will I need to update the software first and then switch to pruned mode?  At that point how long do you think it would take to sync?

Thanks so much for the help.

ETERBASE | TRADE WITH NEGATIVE FEES
xbase ▬▬▬■▌[SIGN UP NOW]▐■▬▬▬ xbase
ANN THREAD   |    TELEGRAM    |    FACEBOOK    |    TWITTER
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2017, 06:45:58 PM

so will I need to update the software first and then switch to pruned mode?
You don't have to, but I recommend that you do.

At that point how long do you think it would take to sync?
It depends on your hardware and network connection. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: