Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:20:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: S.MG - The Ministry of Games.  (Read 27109 times)
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 12:33:39 PM

That's not what people mean when they talk about things rivaling other things. It's about cultural impact. In the context of gamer culture the things that rival nethack are ADVENT, Space Invaders, Elite, スーパーマリオブラザーズ or id Software's 1992 Castle Wolfenstein remake. Your copy with a few bits slapped on is not one of these.
Exactly.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ffssixtynine

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 12:33:56 PM

I may have been on the fence over the fund if it wasn't for your attitude, but if anyone asked me now whether to work for MP I'd say no way and point them here. It makes the fund wreak of lack of professionalism. Don't you see that?

A. Stop interjecting yourself in the discussions of adults as if you were one. You aren't one.
B. Learn to spell.
C. Look up what words mean, read up on what's being discussed. S.MG is not a "fund".

I love you. You're amazing!
usagi
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 06:02:24 PM

That's not what people mean when they talk about things rivaling other things. It's about cultural impact. In the context of gamer culture the things that rival nethack are ADVENT, Space Invaders, Elite, スーパーマリオブラザーズ or id Software's 1992 Castle Wolfenstein remake. Your copy with a few bits slapped on is not one of these.
Exactly.

Oh, I completely agree. I have no intention of challenging Nethack's cultural impact. But that is not what I said. It's quite clear that Netwhack is just a toy game I made to see if I could do it; I presented it as something I did in my spare time, I was quite clear about that. The point was, "that's something I did in my spare time, what have you done?"

I brought it up as my way of showing why I am in this discussion. To show that what I say is the perspective of someone who is a competent programmer and who has studied and practiced the art of game design from many angles. If you want to talk practice and experience it's fair to say there are many others here (thestringpuller, ff) who are far more experienced and involved in the industry than I am. But it is also fair to say that I am as far above someone like greyhawk as tsp and ff are from me.

But, it's really not that important. As I have said before, I would really like S.MG to succeed, because I want to play a new game. It's really that simple for me. I've long since given up trying to figure out why they choose the hard way forward. It will be an interesting social experiment; if they succeed, how they do it, and if they fail, how they will handle it. I'm not even interested in which scenario is more likely. I guess you could say my point is, I wrote netwhack ten years ago, and today, S.MG has nothing. And try as they might to surpass what little toy game I have written, so far I see nothing on the table except a lot of insults hurled at people who know better and who have accomplished far more.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 06:40:49 PM

But it is also fair to say that I am as far above someone like greyhawk as tsp and ff are from me.

Don't kid yourself.  Wink Just because I left the gaming industry some 15 years ago for better paying and more relaxing pastures doesn't mean I don't know anything about it anymore. The more things change, the more they stay the same, especially in this industry.
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 09:55:58 PM

The point was, "that's something I did in my spare time, what have you done?"
Oh, I see, it makes sense.

Problem is that he thinks he need no previous experience to do that, and this path always lead to spectacular failures.

I would really like S.MG to succeed, because I want to play a new game. It's really that simple for me.
I understand, but for the sake of the Industry, I want him to fail: such an arrogant and ignorant person can be quite harmful, and we would stay much better if people like him wouldn't try to meddle in things they don't understand.
"We" is both people in game development, and, to a lesser extent, players themselves.

usagi
VIP

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 10:02:23 PM

But it is also fair to say that I am as far above someone like greyhawk as tsp and ff are from me.

Don't kid yourself.  Wink Just because I left the gaming industry some 15 years ago for better paying and more relaxing pastures doesn't mean I don't know anything about it anymore. The more things change, the more they stay the same, especially in this industry.

There's a difference between kidding yourself and not knowing something. Once you are told, you have the opportunity to learn. I'm happy to say I learned something today. Thanks, greyhawk.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 11:17:16 PM

The point was, "that's something I did in my spare time, what have you done?"
Oh, I see, it makes sense.

Problem is that he thinks he need no previous experience to do that, and this path always lead to spectacular failures.

I would really like S.MG to succeed, because I want to play a new game. It's really that simple for me.
I understand, but for the sake of the Industry, I want him to fail: such an arrogant and ignorant person can be quite harmful, and we would stay much better if people like him wouldn't try to meddle in things they don't understand.
"We" is both people in game development, and, to a lesser extent, players themselves.

Who is being arrogant now? We can't have anybody shake the boat of our precious "industry"!

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 12:32:27 AM

Until the game is released we can only vent  Wink

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:30:39 AM

Who is being arrogant now?
Oh, come on, have you read his posts?

MPOE-PR (OP)

Merit: 522

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 11:43:58 AM

At the rate you're going you'll be this month's avatar of bitcointalk idiocy.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 02:37:21 PM

3/10, have some coffee and breakfast and try again

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 02:44:16 PM

How appropriate, you fight like a cow!

greyhawk

Activity: 938

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 05:23:39 PM

There's a difference between kidding yourself and not knowing something. Once you are told, you have the opportunity to learn. I'm happy to say I learned something today. Thanks, greyhawk.

In that case, here's another thing to learn:

http://www.sec.gov/News/PressRelease/Detail/PressRelease/1370539730583

Hope your secret underground base is secret and stuff.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 05:29:05 PM

Good, Pirate is about to be hanged or made to walk the plank. As was custom 200 years ago. Cheesy

Of course the present day pirate Jon Corzine who ran away with millions of MF Global deposits will still escape scott free.

Memo to prospective pirates today: get politically connected. Tongue
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 07:51:41 PM

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Me: "That guy's fucked."
Pascale: "Good, he SHOULD be fucked."

Heavy lels indeed

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 09:39:07 PM

Good, Pirate is about to be hanged or made to walk the plank. As was custom 200 years ago. Cheesy

Of course the present day pirate Jon Corzine who ran away with millions of MF Global deposits will still escape scott free.

Memo to prospective pirates today: get politically connected. Tongue

They found Trendon now that is newsworthy

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
usagi
VIP

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 03:04:20 AM

That doesn't make sense. But for what it's worth, I know you tried. Good work, greyhawk!
zy02264

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:48:31 PM

Went through 10 pages and still don't get what do you mean by "game".
Are you talking about developing gambling games like Satoshi Dice to have people put BTCs in and get part of their investment (hopefully) back?
Or you are talking about general computer games like World of Warcraft?

BTW, what just happened on BTCT, feeling like on a roller coaster, anyone can fill me in?
Peter Lambert

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:47:16 PM

Are you talking about developing gambling games like Satoshi Dice to have people put BTCs in and get part of their investment (hopefully) back?

BTW, what just happened on BTCT, feeling like on a roller coaster, anyone can fill me in?

Did you read the linked trilema posts? The main game being developed currently is a MMORPG with a real cash economy.

The BTCT TAT.MINIGAME is just a pass-through, and the number of shares is not very large, so it is easy to spike the price upward (or downward) without really affecting the overall evaluation of S.MG.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
zy02264

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:58:03 PM

Did you read the linked trilema posts? The main game being developed currently is a MMORPG with a real cash economy.

The BTCT TAT.MINIGAME is just a pass-through, and the number of shares is not very large, so it is easy to spike the price upward (or downward) without really affecting the overall evaluation of S.MG.

Thank you! Crystal clear now Wink
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: