Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 03:40:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC miners - frustrating?  (Read 1002 times)
webjoe

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 01:11:01 AM

The arms race will continue for a very long time.

This is the state of Moore's law and high tech in general.  In fact, just follow the trajectory of CPUs, they are still competing!  It's just right now, ASICs are giant leaps in progression.  I remember when upgrading from a 386 to a 486 to a Pentium was a big deal. These days, going from one Intel chip to another, the improvements aren't that obvious and only in certain extreme conditions (games, heavy CPU intensive processes, etc). 

In short time, I'm sure Bitcoin Asics will follow the same asymptote as time progress. 

BTC: 1P77ekpQigu2HfiB67wNhzmMmEvZFkE2jv | KNCMiner Neptune 20nm 3TH/S for $10K in Q1/Q2 2014
J35st3r

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 01:40:50 AM

This is the state of Moore's law and high tech in general.  In fact, just follow the trajectory of CPUs, they are still competing!  It's just right now, ASICs are giant leaps in progression.  I remember when upgrading from a 386 to a 486 to a Pentium was a big deal. These days, going from one Intel chip to another, the improvements aren't that obvious and only in certain extreme conditions (games, heavy CPU intensive processes, etc). 

In short time, I'm sure Bitcoin Asics will follow the same asymptote as time progress. 

Its more of a sigmoid, but to Moore's credit it looks like an exponential when its most noticable.

Moore's law is over, just a couple more doubling's and its done. But progress continues. Other "laws" come in to play, though eventually it must come to a steady state.

But bitcoin is psycology, not physics, and that's a far bigger game.

I'm getting all polemic. shows its well past my bedtime.

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
Taihen

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 05:00:26 AM

so is there a general consensus that current ASIC hardware cant possibly get ROI with the upcoming wave or ASIC machines to the masses?

ive known about bitcoin for a while but up until lately treated it as a hobby on the backburner running cpu mining on a old pc
ive just recently heard about ASICs and have more money than sense for now if i could get in on it ASAP(not on pre order)

what hardware can i get in hand now  and if im willing to put in $5000-$10000 USD into it (that said, if 15000 made the a significant difference i might be convinced to go that high)
or have i completely missed the boat and even a high buy in wont help
cooler-persistence

Activity: 26

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 05:23:38 AM

ASICminer shares are the way to go right now. You can buy 1/100th TAT.ASICMINER microshares right now for about $3.

See the Securities subforum: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=78.0

Maybe buying your own miner will become profitable once more in the future but right now the prices are a bit steep.

If you want to buy a GPU miner I suggest mining altcoins such as Litecoin and GLDcoin. They can't be mined with ASICs.

How long does it take to get that all done for registration and purchasing?
darkfriend77

Activity: 434
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 05:24:59 AM

i would be interested too in such shares ...

-:| www.DOTMog.com |:-
bjwimer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 06:21:20 AM

I agree that it would be better for ROI to use the  funds to purchase whatever coin tickles your fancy and hold on to it for a year instead of preordering a unit that may/maynot ever come.   If the current individuals would have bought $1k worth of bitcoins last june instead of ordering the item they are just now shipping, their bitcoins would be worth over $5k now.

MrMochi

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:20:42 AM

ASICminer shares are the way to go right now. You can buy 1/100th TAT.ASICMINER microshares right now for about $3.

See the Securities subforum: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=78.0

Maybe buying your own miner will become profitable once more in the future but right now the prices are a bit steep.

If you want to buy a GPU miner I suggest mining altcoins such as Litecoin and GLDcoin. They can't be mined with ASICs.

How long does it take to get that all done for registration and purchasing?

Purchasing shares is very easy.
There's Bitfunder, Btct.co and Havelock investments.
Personally I use Bitfunder but it requires an extra account at WeExchange.
Take your time to choose.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: