Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 11:40:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Following the Devs  (Read 470 times)
Arbitrageur (OP)

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:32:11 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2013, 12:07:30 AM by Arbitrageur

I liked the thread What makes altcoins valuable? very much, lots of food for thoughts, I also appreciated What can your coin do that LTC/BTC can't? so I decided to open this one in order to follow the most interesting developments related to the new alt-cryptos.

My simple starting questions are: Which is the coin that enjoys a serious support by devs and what are these guys doing to improve its overall marketability (in terms of real usage, appearance, user friendliness, etc?).

Given the fact that ultimately a coin gets value if embraced by a community, by a network of people that uses it as money (so far only the BTC and partially the LTC seem to have achieved this goal) which one, given the answers provided to the above questions, is most likely to succeed? I tried to shop around lots of website but so far no one really impressed me. I also found that only a few of them have a blockchain that runs smoothly and is reliable (very very bad inmo, like FTC or CNC, awful!).

Obviously these are ongoing issues that might find solutions over time, so it's important to follow any new development day by day. I hope this could be the place, with no futile discussions but just the plain facts. Thanks
smilez

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:34:38 PM

I'd like to see more involvement in yacoin !

It has potential.
Arbitrageur (OP)

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 12:11:34 AM

many says so, but what are the facts? is building a nicer website enough? I don't think so. involving merchants is a fact. have the best client is a fact. smooth and reliable blockchain is a fact (seems ok on the yak, but not as much as expected, like 1 per minute). Also, no cap limit. I haven't figure out if there's a limit even though some said it'll tend to something like 2 billion some day in the distant future. I do believe in the misesian statement that goes like any quantity of money is enough for running an economy. And btc will prove that (I stop before going OT).
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 08:29:11 PM

As I made clear in my thread that you linked, it is my opinion that the devs have little to nothing to do with marketing their altcoin, and that good marketing is merely a side-effect of a good altcoin. To understand who is a good dev, you need to understand why Bitcoin does things the way it does. With that knowledge, you can see whether the altcoin devs have that knowledge based on the changes they made in their altcoin.

Fortunately, not everybody needs this knowledge. Basically, look for people who have knowledge of Bitcoin and see what they say about the changes that were made. For example, I would say that any altcoin without a major network design overhaul that sets the target block time to less than two minutes is doomed to failure.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: