Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:22:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's up with all the bogus Airdrop scams?  (Read 303 times)
plobo (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 10:04:38 AM

Hi everybody,

I'm curious to know, especially from safety point of view, what's up with all these bogus Airdrops?

Now, I'm not talking about those that ask for your private keys, because that's obvious, but I'l more interested to know what a scammer can gain from simply having a list of ETH address and emails. Granted, they can see the list of emails, use it for spam etc., but is there any way they can use the information gleaned in a more malicious manner? Can they somehow use ETH address to target the unsuspecting user later on?

even if an Airdrop seems legit I still make it a point to always use a disposable MEW when signing up, but I don't know of a few people in another group that have fallen prey to this sort of scam.

Cheers and thanks for your thoughts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tdeannova

Activity: 504
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 11:16:17 AM

Hi everybody,

I'm curious to know, especially from safety point of view, what's up with all these bogus Airdrops?

Now, I'm not talking about those that ask for your private keys, because that's obvious, but I'l more interested to know what a scammer can gain from simply having a list of ETH address and emails. Granted, they can see the list of emails, use it for spam etc., but is there any way they can use the information gleaned in a more malicious manner? Can they somehow use ETH address to target the unsuspecting user later on?

even if an Airdrop seems legit I still make it a point to always use a disposable MEW when signing up, but I don't know of a few people in another group that have fallen prey to this sort of scam.

yes you are right, there are so many airdrops that have appeared in recent months. if there is an airdrop scammer maybe they will check  eth address in etherscan and if wallet have any assets they may have targeted the email registered for hacked and get other information from us. this is just my guess and analysis alone.
plobo (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 01:36:20 PM

Yeah, I thought as much. So more "social" engineering that possible exploits could makes us loose assets if we're not careful. Did see someone mention that a carefully crafted smart contract could trick the user, sending less assets that what he paid for, so there's that too.
Jating

Activity: 2912
Merit: 805

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 01:52:32 PM

Yeah, I thought as much. So more "social" engineering that possible exploits could makes us loose assets if we're not careful. Did see someone mention that a carefully crafted smart contract could trick the user, sending less assets that what he paid for, so there's that too.

Thanks for sharing. Actually I haven't been in any Airdrop before, but it looks like the current craze right now. I want to join to earn free coins of course, but I didn't know how they works and your post summarized it. If what you are saying is correct then its possible that they can used those emails for marketing ploy in the future or even sell those emails to other company to spam mail. Expect unsolicited emails coming their way.
RAJSALLIN

Activity: 665
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:02:14 PM

Don't join in airdrop is the best way to prevent you got email spam from them.
Currently there are a lot of scam airdrops after eBTC was announced and the price got pumped up so high. Then people start to make their imitaition of eBTC, there are eLTC, eDash, eZEC, eripple, e btcash....e-etc

A revolutionary decentralized digital economy 
`Join us:██`Twitter  ◽  Facebook  ◽  Telegram  ◽  Youtube  ◽  Github`
.ATHERO
.Internet 3.0 solution
Lagduf

Activity: 1162
Merit: 260

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:04:55 PM

Hi everybody,

I just think to give my opinion regarding your question, In my view that those icos are interesting to collect your email to distribute or make a verification process to avoid those cheaters of the airdrop. But in other reason that are not closing the possibility about to use your email to gain your data or something else that related to the criminalsm, But this wav obvious true about never try to give your email that has used to store all of your personal data.

▄████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
█████                 ▀▀███▄
█████▄                   ▀██▄
███▀███▄                  ███
███  ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ███
███     ▀▀▀▀▀███████████▄▄██▀
███                   ▀▀████
███      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▄█▄
███   ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀██
███ ▄██▀▀                  ██
██████                    ██▀
█████                   ▄██▀
▀████▄       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
 ▀
█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
billionair
A TOKEN POWERED RAFFLE PLATFORM
IN THE BSC ECOSYSTEM
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
███▀ ████████████ ▀████
██  ██████▀▀▀██  █  ███
██  ████▀ ███ ▀███  ███
██  ███▀ █████ ▀██  ███
██  ███▄ █████ ▄██  ███
██  █████ ▀▀▀ ████  ███
██  ██████████████  ███
███▄ ████████████ ▄████
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▄███████▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████████▄
█████▀  ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄▄  ▀███████
█████  ▀▀▀              ▀▀▀  █████
███                            ███
██                              ██
██        ████      ████        ██
█        ██████    ██████        █
█         ████      ████         █
█                                █
█      ▀▄▄              ▄▄▀      █
██▄      ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀      ▄██
███▄▄      ██████████      ▄▄█████
███████▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄█████████
▀████████████████████████████████▀
JOIN AIRDROP
Hallmader

Activity: 1123
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:47:33 PM

Hi everybody,

That would be pure stupidity and mindlessness if you provide your myetherwallet private key simply because of an airdrop which you might not even have checked yourself properly. But even if the project looks legit, I would not give my MEW private key. That is a big NO NO. But some fools are easily drawn to it simply because of free tokens which end up worthless.

JACS|JUST ANOTHER
COMMUNICATIONS
STACK
██     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ██
████████████ █▄
████████████ ███▄
████████████ █████▄
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
███████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
███████████ ██ ████████████
███████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀██████████
████████▄   ▄▄▄▄  ▀████████
█████████   ████   ████████
█████████         ▀████████
█████████   ████    ███████
████████▀   ▀▀▀▀   ▄███████
███████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄█████████
███████████ ██ ████████████
█████▄    ███████▀    ▄████
███████    █████▀    ██████
███████     ███▀     ██████
███████ █    █▀ █    ██████
███████ ██     ██    ██████
███████ ███   ███    ██████
█████▀   ▀██ ███▀    ▀█████
█████▀               ▀█████
████▌                 ▐████
████       ██▄▄        ████
████       ██████      ████
████       ██▀▀        ████
████▌                 ▐████
█████▄               ▄█████
plobo (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 03:28:08 PM

Hi everybody,

That would be pure stupidity and mindlessness if you provide your myetherwallet private key simply because of an airdrop which you might not even have checked yourself properly. But even if the project looks legit, I would not give my MEW private key. That is a big NO NO. But some fools are easily drawn to it simply because of free tokens which end up worthless.

That is beyond obvious and I did mention I wasn't referring to this scams that ask for your private key (that is obvious and too big a red flag). I was more curious about what possible exploits there could exist or what they could gain other than your email for spam.

I'm talking about bogus airdrops that just ask for your ETH address and an email, nothing more. This came about because a person in a telegram group fell for an airdrop scam recently. https://exrp.io is the official site and just closed their airdrop, however she signed up for this one: https://eripple.io

From what I saw, all they ask for is ETH address and email, so I was curious what they could gain and if there was an exploit I wasn't seeing.
plobo (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 06:15:04 PM

Having said all this, she's been cautioned to use a disposable MEW which little to no funds in it and maybe even a burnable email if it doesn't seem too legit. I know I'm paranoid, but rather safe than sorry Wink
Airdrop Alert

Activity: 38

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2017, 06:26:41 PM

There are always people that will try to scam you. So watch out guys Wink
Noxmfs

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2017, 06:30:03 PM

Some people fell for the private key scam. Always be cautious and use junk mail / fake names on the airdrops that seem way too cheeky made.
carcassone

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 06:31:16 PM

I have joined just a couple of airdrop. One has "scammed" me without paying but saving my personal info + email Sad (ATS TOKEN).
I don't know anymore if there is really a profit following these "free"coins giveaway.

CrypticGambit

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

The Operating System for DAOs

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 06:32:45 PM

Airdrops should be in aridrops section!

Affilate User

Activity: 588

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 06:33:28 PM

I do not know the purpose of people making airdrop, but there is absolutely no benefit to people who make airdrop.
bitcoinmaniac52

Activity: 532

Presale is live!

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 06:35:25 PM

Airdrops by definition are not scams. They literally give you free coins, so it cannot be a scam. Tongue

▄▄█████████▄▄      █████████████▄▄       █████████████▄▄        █████     █████        █████   ███████████████████    ██▄                ▄██
   ███████████████▄    ████████████████▄     ████████████████▄      █████     ██████       █████   ███████████████████    ████▄            ▄████
  █████▀     ▀▀███▀    █████     ▀▀█████▄    █████     ▀▀█████▄     █████     ███████      █████          █████           ██████▄        ▄██████
 █████          ▀      █████        ▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀██     █████     ████████     █████          █████           ████████▄    ▄████████
 █████▄                ███▀▀                                          ▀▀█     █████████    █████          █████            ▀██████▀    ▀██████▀
 ▀██████▄▄               ▄▄▄        ▄████    ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄       ▄         ██████████   █████          █████              ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀
  ▀█████████▄▄         █████     ▄▄█████▀    █████     ▄▄█████▀     ███▄▄       ▀▀█ █████  █████          █████                  ▄██████▄
     ▀▀█████▀  ▄▄▄     ████████████████▀     ████████████████▀      █████     ▄▄     ▀▀▀██ █████          █████                ▄██████████▄
         ▀▀ ▄█████▄    █████████████▀▀       ██████████████▀        █████     ████▄       ▀▀▀███          █████              ▄██████████████▄
             ▀█████    █████                 █████     █████        █████     █████    ▄▄▄                █████            ▄████████▀▀████████▄
 ▄█▄          █████    █████                 █████      █████       █████     █████     █████▄▄▄
          █████           ████████▀    ▀████████
▄████▄▄     ▄█████     █████                 █████       █████      █████     █████      ███████
          ▀████           ██████▀        ▀██████
▀████████████████      █████                 █████        █████     █████     █████       ██████
            ▀██           ████▀            ▀████
  ▀▀██████████▀▀       █████                 █████         █████    █████     █████        █████
              ▀           ██▀                ▀██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
    ██
   ██
  ██
 ██
██
 ██
  ██
   ██
    ██
     ██
Whitepaper
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ANN Thread

██
 ██
  ██
   ██
    ██
     ██
    ██
   ██
  ██
 ██
██

Telegram
Facebook
Twitter
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
J. Cooper

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

Alea iacta est

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 06:38:09 PM

Ico's, airdrops, what's next? People like them because it's free or easy money but I personally tend to stay away from them. I've heard of some airdrops being legit and quite profitable, like ebtc, but it only takes one scam and the term airdrop gets the same stigma as ico's nowadays. I'm not sure if you can get scammed by an airdrop but if there are ways, scammers will find it eventually.
plobo (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 11:26:48 PM

Airdrops should be in aridrops section!

My bad, sorry. Could a mod please move this to the proper section then. Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: