Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:31:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Viable to mine in the UK?  (Read 654 times)
Doum (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:59:02 PM

Heya, I've been checking up on some BTC mining, and my power cost is currently 0.12p per kWh, and the projected profit for the S9 on Nicehash has been taunting me.
However, will a power cost this high end up costing me a loss before I can pay back the cost of the S9? I've got around £3000 saved, so I can buy a miner and invest the rest? Is this wise? Right now I'd be making more profit with the S9 than a more expensive GPU mining rig.
I'm just giving my circumstances to receive any advice you guys would have, any other UK miners out there?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinboyBlog

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2017, 11:20:51 PM

Heya, I've been checking up on some BTC mining, and my power cost is currently 0.12p per kWh, and the projected profit for the S9 on Nicehash has been taunting me.
However, will a power cost this high end up costing me a loss before I can pay back the cost of the S9? I've got around £3000 saved, so I can buy a miner and invest the rest? Is this wise? Right now I'd be making more profit with the S9 than a more expensive GPU mining rig.
I'm just giving my circumstances to receive any advice you guys would have, any other UK miners out there?
With electricity costs that high, it almost would not be worth it, but you could still try. It would take a while to pay it back, but you would get there eventually.

(I live in the US)
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1584

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 11:04:05 PM

I live in the UK. The only thing that makes mining profitable for me is that the electricity is dissipated as heat and winter is comming. Or more clearly if you want, What I spend on electricty I save it in heating.

AtraxPool

Activity: 84
Merit: 12

Block Hunting

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 11:53:55 PM

I live in the UK. The only thing that makes mining profitable for me is that the electricity is dissipated as heat and winter is comming. Or more clearly if you want, What I spend on electricty I save it in heating.

I run a small farm of old s3's in the uk x7 s3 for 5 months cost me £600 in electricity I mine solo so if there is no block there is no reward.
You may be able to get cheaper electricity if you have solar power on your home or can find somewhere that has this.

■ BLOCKHUNT ■ «  COMMUNITY BLOCKHUNTING - »  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2207363.0
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 12:19:52 AM

In a place like the UK it's probably not a great idea to run solar, and overall solar really isn't a good idea unless you have even higher electrical prices. Sure they can heat a room in the winter without a need for other heating but most modern miners are loud, and the R4 which is a rare exception is no longer produced and is extremely unreliable to the point it's not worth buying even if you can get your hands on one for a decent price.
Doum (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 04:49:42 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: