Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 10:44:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: multibit question  (Read 461 times)
smdesign28 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 01:58:23 AM

I keep all my BTC on multibit. I just recently opened up the application after a long while (approximately 2 months) and after 2 days it's still "connecting". Is this normal? is it downloading the entire blockchain and just needs time to sync up?

Thanks
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 03:21:31 AM

It should go from "Connecting" to "Synchronizing" pretty quickly. It might then stay at "Synchronizing" for quite a while.

If you're not already running the latest version (0.5.11, https://multibit.org), updating is a good first step. Before installing the new version, you should backup your wallet by exporting your private keys (Tools->Export private keys).

If you still have trouble with the latest version, something might be blocking Multibit's outgoing connection. Do you have a software firewall on your PC?

lch

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 03:34:15 AM

Thats one of the current problems with bitcoin. It takes a long time to download the blockchain. I know because i've been downloading for nearly a week.
lch

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 03:39:19 AM

That looks pretty sweet, going to check it out now. Thanks for the tip MicroGuy.
smdesign28 (OP)

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:18:18 AM

I have a mac and don't have a firewall.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:22:21 AM

You can enable inbuilt firewall

http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/12/how-to-enable-the-firewall-in-mac-os-x/
http://www.macinstruct.com/node/165
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 12:05:06 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2013, 12:16:48 PM by orymh

Another useful troubleshooting step is to look at the Messages tab in MultiBit. If you don't already have a Messages tab alongside your Send, Request, and Transactions tabs, go to View->Messages to open it. In that Messages tab, when things are working normally, you should see an "Opening wallet" message, followed by a growing list of "Synchronising with network" messages. Hopefully, if yours isn't connecting, that tab will say something helpful about it.

If MultiBit simply refuses to cooperate, or if you'd rather chuck it and try something else, you could:
1. Install another Bitcoin client.
2. Export your keys from MultiBit.
3. Import them into the other client.

Moving those keys effectively moves your funds to the new wallet. You should then completely uninstall MultiBit to avoid future conflicts with your new wallet. If you'd like more detail on any of those steps, let me know.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: