Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 11:15:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GBSB - a new way to GET and SPEND bitcoins  (Read 4488 times)
btcusr

Activity: 405
Merit: 255

@_vjy

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 03:34:32 AM

This is really big. Cool

Everyone wants to pay less (5%) of items they buy, or for any other bills.
People who wants bitcoin also ready to pay more (5% - 10%).

This is not just amazon specific business opportunity.
This can be implemented in every country.

mrkent (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 256

Try Purse Instant! https://purse.io/instant

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 08:32:01 AM

This is really big. Cool
This is not just amazon specific business opportunity.
This can be implemented in every country.

You said it. It is essentially a distributed btc market place. Just so happens that Amazon makes it really easy, especially for new bitcoin users. It makes a good start on 1. Optimize work flow and 2. Get users used to the idea of exchanging goods for BTC. So happens that current conditions allow turning USD->Goods at a premium a reasonable request. With reward cc's like Amazon's card, the premium will be very competitive with other services. https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-Cards/amazon-earn-points.htm

Quick preview: https://i.imgur.com/D0mvKvk.png

Hope to start with ~10 testers next week.
Spenders: post your wishlist here or in PM, prime eligible items only please
Buyers: please have Prime

I am usually available on IRC in the usual bitcoin channels if you'd like to chat.

Spend BTCBTCBTCBTCBTCBTC @ amazon
Save 10-25% with Ƀ worldwide - PurseIO
Anonymously▃▃▃▃▃▃ ⌚Fast ⚖Safe ⓑOn Credit
Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
BitPappa

Activity: 431
Merit: 261

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 02:13:24 PM

Very interesting idea. I buy a lot on Amazon with Amazon Prime, and I've been a professional seller on Amazon for several years (I hope to have a Bitcoin product available with Amazon Prime in a few weeks).

I'm not sure if I totally get it, but here are a bunch of questions I have about the longterm plan (answer only if you feel like it, or simply use it as food for thought):

How will the BTC price of the transaction be established? With BTC being so volatile, this seems tricky, and possibly one of the participants may not get the deal they were looking for.

Who do you believe wants to pay a 5% premium to get bitcoins? Seems there are very established/trusted ways to buy BTC for much less, and it's really not much work to sign up for say Coinbase or CampBX (just to name a couple). Do you believe there's a benefit of getting BTC through your service that I'm not seeing?

Seems everyone who participates is at some risk, since a middleman could grab bitcoin, get product sent to friends, and take off (I'm not saying you would do that, but seems you could do that). Or a middleman could get shut down, mid-transaction. Do you have a plan to assure participants of safety? Will you and your business be anonymous?

Have you consulted with a lawyer? Seems many sites that helped people use coin for Amazon have come and gone, I figure there must be good reason.

Do you have a plan in place for when a buyer wants to return a product (say it's defective, or just crappy, or whatever)? Or are all transactions final? Seems you'll have to lay out a ton of ground rules, and I can't help but think people will figure out ways to game this in some way.

As a paranoid worst-case-scenario thinker, you can see I came up with a lot of concerns. I think I would really want to understand all this and feel good about it before even evaluating if it made sense. But perhaps I'm missing some benefits, perhaps for people with different circumstances than my own.

mrkent (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 08:37:28 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2013, 08:49:43 PM by mrkent

How will the BTC price of the transaction be established? With BTC being so volatile, this seems tricky, and possibly one of the participants may not get the deal they were looking for.
We will explore 2 options:
1. We determine the price at the time Buyer initiates transaction. Spenders fund account with let's say 100% price in BTC, which gives him some room to handle volatility. If BTC prices drop significantly, then his account is no longer sufficiently funded, and his order will be removed from order book.
2. Price is set at the time Spender placed the order, and the Buyer can always refuse to accept the order if the price of BTC has shifted enough to make it too unfavorable.
In either case, we would like the site to operate in such a way that a majority of orders can be expected to be filled within a day. Additionally, I've been thinking of lately of how we still rely on mtgox price as the "value" of bitcoin when their daily volumes are often 10-20k. The bitcoin economy has outgrown this and we as a community should look into better ways to determine the value of bitcoin.

Who do you believe wants to pay a 5% premium to get bitcoins? Seems there are very established/trusted ways to buy BTC for much less, and it's really not much work to sign up for say Coinbase or CampBX (just to name a couple). Do you believe there's a benefit of getting BTC through your service that I'm not seeing?
In both examples you gave, bank account info are required. Unless you trust coinbase with your bank account password, to verify account ownership takes several days. It also suffers from the 10btc/day limit. Credit card cannot be used to purchase, and GBSB can potentially be anonymous by using store bought gift cards. In any case, you will never have to trust us with your personal info, as we will never require you to provide it to us.
I'd say from the bitcoin buyer's perspective, this service is more comparable to bitinstant. With major differences being 1. Rate of exchange is known prior to transaction, 2. Longer wait, 3. Do not depend on other exchanges. 4. Never have to leave the house.

Seems everyone who participates is at some risk, since a middleman could grab bitcoin, get product sent to friends, and take off (I'm not saying you would do that, but seems you could do that). Or a middleman could get shut down, mid-transaction.
I'm not sure what you mean by middleman. There are 3 parties involved in these exchanges. GBSB, Spender, and Buyer. If you mean GBSB=middleman, then yes, there's always counter party risk when using any bitcoin service. Products cannot be sent to anyone besides Spender's input address and still have a valid tracking #. If GBSB is shut down, we still retain all contact info and bitcoin withdraw addresses to refund users.

Do you have a plan to assure participants of safety? Will you and your business be anonymous?
What do you mean by safety?
We will be a registered LLC, so no. Customers' anonymity will be preserved however.

Have you consulted with a lawyer? Seems many sites that helped people use coin for Amazon have come and gone, I figure there must be good reason.
Yes because they are buying the items themselves and abusing Amazon Prime. This services leverages the wishlist functionality, which doesn't require us to conduct any business with Amazon. With that said, yes we are consulting lawyers and will do everything to avoid any cease and desists from Amazon.

Do you have a plan in place for when a buyer wants to return a product (say it's defective, or just crappy, or whatever)? Or are all transactions final? Seems you'll have to lay out a ton of ground rules, and I can't help but think people will figure out ways to game this in some way.
No returns is current policy. I agree there will be many ground rules and procedures for Spenders(which will be well documented), and hopefully that the discount incentive is enough for them to overcome that. The process will be designed to be much simpler for the Buyer. There will always be ways to game any system, and we can only learn and update as we go. Eventually, we want to develop into a more open exchange that allows users to set their own rules, pick their own escrows, and take full responsibility of their own actions.

Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
BitPappa

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 11:19:45 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your thorough answers, they totally make sense. You've clearly thought this out quite a bit, and I appreciate that!

btcusr

@_vjy

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 06:33:32 AM

What's GBSB? Great Britain Sewing Bee?!  Roll Eyes

mrkent (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 09:55:26 PM

What's GBSB? Great Britain Sewing Bee?!  Roll Eyes

getBspendB

Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
btcusr

@_vjy

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:00:47 AM

Ok, I didn't check your profile pic. Sad

mrkent (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 01:19:21 AM

Looking for 1 tester as a spender who will want multiple items on Amazon and can provide good feedback. I'll be personally fulfilling your orders. You'll be getting a 7% discount for everything you buy (up to a reasonable amount) in exchange for testing Smiley

Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
BitPappa

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 01:22:20 PM

Looking for 1 tester as a spender who will want multiple items on Amazon and can provide good feedback. I'll be personally fulfilling your orders. You'll be getting a 7% discount for everything you buy (up to a reasonable amount) in exchange for testing Smiley
So you want someone who wants to buy stuff on Amazon using Bitcoin? And the USD equivalent will be based on last Mt. Gox trade (not that this detail is vital, just curious)?

mrkent (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 08:22:21 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2013, 09:49:24 PM by mrkent

So you want someone who wants to buy stuff on Amazon using Bitcoin? And the USD equivalent will be based on last Mt. Gox trade (not that this detail is vital, just curious)?

Correct.

What I've used before is at http://btcdx.com/ is the (vwap + last)/2 price. It has been pretty good for transactions that take more than a day to complete.

Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
axilla

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 07:42:15 PM

Yet another bitcoin bootstrap site... Yawwwwn.. Tired of bootstrap

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
arc45

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 07:48:17 PM

I think this is a great idea.  I'd love to try + I have amazon prime.
mrkent (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 08:40:45 PM

Yet another bitcoin bootstrap site... Yawwwwn.. Tired of bootstrap

Why do you say it's bootstrap? It's in fact Foundation. Everyone's tired of bootstrap, including myself.

I think this is a great idea.  I'd love to try + I have amazon prime.

Does that mean you'll test as a bitcoin buyer?

Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
mrkent (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 05:23:39 AM

btw, question regarding privacy vs transparency.

The goal is to be as transparent as possible to increase confidence. I'd like everyone to basically be able to deposit into their address, and allow their transactions to be tracked via blockchain. However, that might create privacy problems as addresses might be monitored. Would you guys prefer all funds to go through a central wallet before being redistributed in order to obscure individual transactions?

Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
BitPappa

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 02:07:51 PM

The goal is to be as transparent as possible to increase confidence. I'd like everyone to basically be able to deposit into their address, and allow their transactions to be tracked via blockchain. However, that might create privacy problems as addresses might be monitored. Would you guys prefer all funds to go through a central wallet before being redistributed in order to obscure individual transactions?
If people really want privacy, couldn't they take steps themselves to try to hide their tracks? In which case, being transparent might be the way to go, and those wishing to privacy can figure out ways to be more private.

(I have zero experience at trying to be private with Bitcoin transactions, so my apologies if I'm oversimplifying it.)

mrkent (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 12:46:27 PM

If people really want privacy, couldn't they take steps themselves to try to hide their tracks? In which case, being transparent might be the way to go, and those wishing to privacy can figure out ways to be more private.

(I have zero experience at trying to be private with Bitcoin transactions, so my apologies if I'm oversimplifying it.)

what would you like to see in terms of transparency?

Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
BitPappa

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 06:13:56 PM

what would you like to see in terms of transparency?

I was just agreeing with the transparency as you presented it, to increase user confidence in your new service. Would be good if you could get more feedback, maybe some people prefer the idea of privacy.

mrkent (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 08:13:19 AM

We are just about ready to beta test with 20-50 users in order to collect feedback. If you're interested in testing, simply fill out this form: http://goo.gl/f8DyYG

Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
mrkent (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 09:33:49 PM

Beta launch announcement here with a very thorough description: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=307922.0
Please sign up!

Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: