Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:14:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Account Hacked - Clarification  (Read 3065 times)
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 12:20:10 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2013, 01:41:05 PM by fible1

My question(s) will be in the open.

How was the hacker able to get a hold of your account?

How were the admins able to so quickly rectify the situation and give you back control of your account when it took DAYS for Tom Van Riper to offer up proof before he got control of his account again? I'm sure it was a hell of lot easier for Tom to prove who he was then for you.

Hi Smiley,

1. I had a conversation with the hacker and he claims he social engineered his way into my email account and then hacked BitcoinTalk from there. Im not sure how much I believe him but I have gone through all my machines with a fine tooth comb and so far they come up clean so that let's me think that perhaps he is telling the truth. EIther way I'm wiping everything and reinstalling my operating systems from scratch.

2. I can't speak for the admins but perhaps it has to do with the fact that, as far as I have been told, the hacker went around telling everyone that he had hacked my account. I also had two recent interactions with the admins before my account was hacked which may have suggested to them I was telling the truth. Finally, Theymos had me sign a message from my OTC registered address. I want to take the opportunity and thank the admins for helping me out like they did.

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
"Crypto Success":  bit.ly/Crypto-Success; "Principles for Crypto Investment":  bit.ly/Crypto-Principles; "Crypto Survival":  bit.ly/Crypto-Survival';
PGP Key(s): Pablo@Pablo-Lema.com: http://pastebin.com/V8Z4WxUE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:26:57 PM

1. I had a conversation with the hacker and he claims he social engineered his way into my account. Im not sure how much I believe him but I have gone through all my machines with a fine tooth comb and so far they come up clean so that let's me think that perhaps he is telling the truth. EIther way I'm wiping everything and reinstalling my operating systems from scratch.
You should lie in your security questions for the email attached to your Bitcointalk account.

fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 01:40:37 PM

1. I had a conversation with the hacker and he claims he social engineered his way into my account. Im not sure how much I believe him but I have gone through all my machines with a fine tooth comb and so far they come up clean so that let's me think that perhaps he is telling the truth. EIther way I'm wiping everything and reinstalling my operating systems from scratch.
You should lie in your security questions for the email attached to your Bitcointalk account.

I meant he social engineered his way into my email account and then hacked Bitcointalk from there, NOT that he social engineered BitcoinTalk.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
"Crypto Success":  bit.ly/Crypto-Success; "Principles for Crypto Investment":  bit.ly/Crypto-Principles; "Crypto Survival":  bit.ly/Crypto-Survival';
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:39:23 PM

I meant he social engineered his way into my email account and then hacked Bitcointalk from there, NOT that he social engineered BitcoinTalk.
That's what I meant.

charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 05:58:59 AM

I had a convo with him as well. He's in high school. A 17 year old kid outside of Cali. Not very bright nor particularly skilled.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 05:43:40 PM

I'm not sure who he is exactly or who you spoke to, his IP's are Russian and he at least claims to have hacked some big name Bitcoin figures. He showed me his wallet addess as proof. I don't know for a fact but I doubt he's some stupid kid. Also, my security is not trivial and he used sophisticated scripts. Again, he could be some kid, I jsut don't know.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 06:07:03 PM

I spoke with the one who claimed to have hacked Jon Matonis's accounts.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: