Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:55:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Differentiate between an ICO and a scam  (Read 696 times)
alexcopper

Activity: 280
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 02:30:33 AM

I know this may not always apply to all ico's, but i like to look for existing platforms. If they have an already working idea/platform, then it's in their best interest to make it work.
An ex. of this is unikoingold ico and the esports betting platform unikrn.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
toandanchucong

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 02:37:24 AM

project scam is have first echange dev dump and never come back

ICO have plan, clear roadmap ,more information

so easy to you can know Different between an ICO and a scam.
CryptoFinn

Activity: 155
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 02:50:55 AM

actual products and services instead of promised and imaginary ones?
ipanks

Activity: 1610
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 02:58:23 AM

ICO is the abbreviation of Initial Coin Offering. It means that someone offers investors some units of a new cryptocurrency or crypto-token in exchange against cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin or Ethereum. Since 2013 ICOs are often used to fund the development of new cryptocurrencies. The pre-created token can be easily sold and traded on all cryptocurrency exchanges if there is demand for them.

Advantages of ICO:
1. Non-lengthy listing process
2. Low listing cost and yearly maintenance
3. Access to global liquidity

Disadvantages of ICO:
1. No due diligence process
2. Lack of regulations

There are many good ICOs out there.
Its an excellent platform for those who are holding a million dollar idea to expand and execute with funds yet improving the economy with investors. However what its lacking is the due diligence we see in IPOs. New developed platforms definitely lures scammers into the game, but with caution/practice due diligence like finding out more about the whitepaper, development team, address of the company, analyzing the project will lower the risk of being victimized.

Tips to identify and analyse a good ICO:

1. Whitepaper
Read up the whitepaper, spot for any discrepancies or any thing that doesn't make sense. Identify the key idea of the project and analyse if the idea will work out or make any sense.

2. Founder Team
Do some research on the founder team members, spot if their names are short names like "Tony" compared to "Tony Jim Rodriguez". Many ICO scams out there uses very short names.

3. Contact and Address
Practice due diligence, research and look through the contact numbers and address of the project, check if they are using a legit one.

4. Read up forums
Usually scams might be identified by other victims, do a thorough research on the project you wish to participate. You might find some tell tail signs of a scam.

All in all, practice due diligence to avoid being the next victim.

thank you op for sharing this to us. i am impress with the four tips you give and i am fully agree with the tips. there is too many ico now which want raise investor money and they are working hard with it but for a good ico they are really taking serious with their project so they don't want to make their investor disappointed.

and that tips is really useful to us which want to join into ico so we can prevent from the scam ico. beside that, we can know how to choose the good ico and avoid the scam, we can read the details from their whitepaper so we have understand their project in future.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
nelsledma

Activity: 572
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 09:01:53 AM

A failing ICO might cause the team to bail with the cash, but that was not there initial plan, just the way they recoup the lost funds that they used to build the ICO. There are hundreds of things that scream scam and many times they are still off target.
Coldsnap4457

Activity: 98

STOCKBET TOKEN SALE OCT 29 - USABLE SOFTWARE TODAY

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 12:05:48 PM

I know this may not always apply to all ico's, but i like to look for existing platforms. If they have an already working idea/platform, then it's in their best interest to make it work.
An ex. of this is unikoingold ico and the esports betting platform unikrn.

Agreed. They should have some working software, such as Stockbet

abcd7

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 08:23:40 PM

nice advise my mate  we agree 100%
ritsel02

Activity: 224

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 04:14:54 AM

Nowadays it's hard to trust right a head in terms of engaging to a certain business,work or ICO.We must be guided on how to identify which is legit and scam. This post is really relevant for me and for everyone who wants to know if the ICO's they're joining is legit or scam. It's my first time to join an ICO and I'm searching for some tips to determine a legit ICO. I'm glad I've found this article. Thanks for sharing.
matico

Activity: 504

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 04:49:04 AM

Regulation will kill any crypto not to talk of ICO! I think it high time crypto community solve it's own problem! We could decentralize oversight and due process on these ICOs, What I 'm saying in essence is that we could create tech that will serve as an audit with no third party! Smart contract is a case in point!

hanlieuiypm9832

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 05:05:46 AM

I think the difference between the ICO and scam is whether you have do some deep research and also some good luck.

▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄
            ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████████▄▄
        ▄▄███▀   ▄▄▄   ▀████████████████████████▄▄
     ▄██████  ▄███████▄  ▀██████████████████▀▀▀█████▄
   ▄███████    ███▀▀ ██    ███████████  ███▀  ▄███████▄
  █████████▄  ▄█▀  ▄███    ██████████  ▄██  ▄███████████
 ██████████████▀  ████▀   ▄██▀▀▀████  ▄████▀  ███████████
██████████████▀  ▄███▀   ▄█▀  ▄▄ ██▀ ▄█  ██  █████████████
██████████████   ▀     ▄██▀  ▄█  █▀  █   █▀▄  ▀███████████
█████████████▀  ▄███▄  ▀██   ██ ▄▄▄  █▀ ▄▄▀█▄  ▀▄█████████
█████████████   █████   ▀██▄ ▀▄████▄  ▄███▄▀  ▄███████████
 █████   ▀██▀  ▄█████    █▀▀█████████████████▀███████████
  ████   ▄█▀   █████    ██ ▀▄█▀▄▄▀█ ▀▄▀█▀▄▀ █▀█ ▀▄██████
   ▀███▄▄   ▄█▄ ▀▀     ███ █ █ ▄▄▄█  █ █ █  █ █ ██████▀
     ▀██████████▄▄▄▄▄█████▄█▄██▄▄██ █▄███▄█▄█▄█▄████▀
        ▀▀██████████████████████████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████████████████████████▀▀
                 ▀▀▀██████████████████▀▀▀
      Powered by
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
|
|
|
|

▀██▄       ▀████▄
▄    ▀██          ▀██▄
██▄ ▄███         ▄█████▄▄
 ▀███████▄     ▄██▀ ▀▀████
      ▀████▄ ▄██▀     ▀█▀
        ▀████▄
        ▄█▀████▄
      ▄███▄▀▀████▄
    ▄████▀    ▀████▄
  ▄████▀        ▀██▀█▄
  ▀██▀            ▀██▀
kaeluxdeuz

Activity: 784
Merit: 510

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 02:54:40 PM

It's all important when it comes to Investing in any ICO. There are so many scams around these days, 90% of ICO's could be scams or frauds. Must be very cautious these days indeed!
When looking into an ICO, you must check the website, the whitepaper which would be found on the website of course, look at the roadmap and see if that is achievable, if the goals are realistic.
It's important to look into the board of members and the advisors too, they could be a bunch of random people found on google. You need to make sure their profiles are legit and have some background and experience in the field.
Finally check forums and the official telegram group of the ICO, you might find some information there that might interest you or persuade you to invest in or not.
Good luck on your search!

.#1 DeFi for Bitcoin Platform.            ███   ███
           ███   ███
          ███   ███
         ███   ███
        ███   ███
       ███   ███
      ███   ███
     ███   ███
    ███   ███
   ███   ███
  ███   ███
 ███   ███
███   ███
▄  ▄██████████████████████▄  ▄
 ▀▄ ▀████████████████████▀ ▄▀
  ▀█ ▀████▀ ▄▄            █▀
   ▀█▄ ▀█ ████████████▀ ▄█▀
     ██▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ██
      ███      ▀█▄ ▀ ▄██
       ███▄ ▀█████ ▄███
        ████ ▀██▀ ▄███
         ▀███▄  ▄███▀
          ▀███▄ ▀██▀
            ████▄ ▀
             ████▀
              ▀█▀
SOVRYN███   ███
 ███   ███
  ███   ███
   ███   ███
    ███   ███
     ███   ███
      ███   ███
       ███   ███
        ███   ███
         ███   ███
          ███   ███
           ███   ███
            ███   ███
.Join Origin Pre-Sale.
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
artmen007

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

FrontEnd developer

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 03:02:13 PM

thanks for the info. Very useful.

BUT I don't really like ICO there's a lot of minuses
- running into a Scam
tokens some projects pay Toko through the floor, and more
- sometimes I wait for the shot after ICO price and it goes down

I think it is better to invest in projects where there is at least some sort of product

High risk high payoff
t3hpwnographer

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2017, 03:55:27 PM

In general I try to avoid ICOs. It's a shame really because I'm sure there are some that actually mean well, but most of what I see involves people never receiving their coins, coins being drastically under the ICO value, and/or the ICO team straight up vanishing. It's pretty hard to judge anything posted on here because I just feel like most of the positive comments are from phony accounts so I tend to believe the negative ones more (though there are plenty of obvious spam attacks, too).

Does anyone have an ICO success story?
FrankNoland
Copper Member

Activity: 560
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 04:29:33 PM

The information that you just provided is so accurate and understandable. I personally consider it to be informative since it provides us investors with aspects to look for before we can actually participate in ICOs so that we can avoid getting scammed. Its sad how some ICOs scam investors their hardly earned money and I hope they also find it informative for the sake of their own investments.

Digital asset exchange for settlement, clearing, custody and trading of various digital assets, utilizing distributed ledger technologies, programmed on the blockchain -https://bex.global
siddartha1492

Activity: 952
Merit: 284

In love with Bitcoin!! 💓💕

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2017, 05:35:11 PM

These are indeed some very useful tips to get early hints of scammy projects. Usually the cover letter tells everything, and of course more details reveal if you read the whitepaper. And if we follow the linkedin/FB links of the team members, then also we get a lot of info. For example scammy ICOs won't have working links of team members, or their team members won't have profile pics etc. But of course, these methods are still not enough. Scammers are always a foot ahead of most of us.

Red Lanterns

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2017, 07:58:14 AM

Thanks for the tips. Quite a good note especially for newbies. However, sometimes even at first good looking ICO that corresponds all the criteria can occur a scam.

❤️🍓💋Your Guide to Sexual Education and Freedom 💑🍒💌
👉🏻 RED LANTERNS 👈🏻
Onepager White paper Telegram chat Ann Thread
RNGfight

Activity: 196

Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 08:08:20 AM

Yes, I agree with you. I think that Whitepaper and Founder Team are the main factors that determine the quality of the project. Generally, I decide whether I should invest in this ICO by judging these two factors.

ORVIUM        Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain        ORVIUM
█    Whitepaper        Telegram        Twitter        Facebook        Reddit        Blog    █
▇▆▅▃▃▃▃▃▃   Token Generation Event: Coming Soon   ▃▃▃▃▃▃▅▆▇
JohnBitCo

Activity: 2030
Merit: 356

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 04:32:25 AM

ICO is the abbreviation of Initial Coin Offering. It means that someone offers investors some units of a new cryptocurrency or crypto-token in exchange against cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin or Ethereum. Since 2013 ICOs are often used to fund the development of new cryptocurrencies. The pre-created token can be easily sold and traded on all cryptocurrency exchanges if there is demand for them.

Advantages of ICO:

Disadvantages of ICO:
2. Lack of regulations

Its an excellent platform for those who are holding a million dollar idea to expand and execute with funds yet improving the economy with investors. However what its lacking is the due diligence we see in IPOs. New developed platforms definitely lures scammers into the game, but with caution/practice due diligence like finding out more about the whitepaper, development team, address of the company, analyzing the project will lower the risk of being victimized.

1. Whitepaper
Read up the whitepaper, spot for any discrepancies or any thing that doesn't make sense. Identify the key idea of the project and analyse if the idea will work out or make any sense.

2. Founder Team
Do some research on the founder team members, spot if their names are short names like "Tony" compared to "Tony Jim Rodriguez". Many ICO scams out there uses very short names.

3. Contact and Address
Practice due diligence, research and look through the contact numbers and address of the project, check if they are using a legit one.

4. Read up forums
Usually scams might be identified by other victims, do a thorough research on the project you wish to participate. You might find some tell tail signs of a scam.

No way to know. Even the most reliable information can be suspect. There is no telling at all sometimes. Many times it is not even a scam but a poorly handled launch. Bad marketing, bad rumors, or whatever can ruin a new launch. Bad thing is that even the legit ICO seems to be scam as there are so many scam ico these days and very few are real and good ones.
MacRohard

Activity: 212

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 05:57:14 AM

Advantages of ICO:

Disadvantages of ICO:
2. Lack of regulations

1. Whitepaper

2. Founder Team

3. Contact and Address

4. Read up forums

No way to know. Even the most reliable information can be suspect. There is no telling at all sometimes. Many times it is not even a scam but a poorly handled launch. Bad marketing, bad rumors, or whatever can ruin a new launch. Bad thing is that even the legit ICO seems to be scam as there are so many scam ico these days and very few are real and good ones.
To be honest, it is hard to choose the right ICO to invest. There are many factors effect in a succesful project. the devs team can't control all of them. However, let research carefully with his advice, you can increase success's rate.

danmoris

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 10:56:10 AM

Advantages of ICO:

Disadvantages of ICO:
2. Lack of regulations

1. Whitepaper

2. Founder Team

3. Contact and Address

4. Read up forums

You will need to determine the legitimacy of the ICO, by checking the site, vision and mission, check the team and what they plan to do to support this ICO.
But most of the comments you already stated is enough.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: